Author Topic: Tom Brady officially said goodbye to New England  (Read 27577 times)

Re: Tom Brady officially said goodbye to New England
« Reply #135 on: March 24, 2020, 11:58:48 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I guess we'll find out, if there's a season.

I guess I'm skeptical that a team that has been a "preseason sleeper" for the last half decade and yet never made the playoffs is suddenly legit because they added this version of Tom Brady, ie a very solid game manager.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't at all emotionally invested in the Bucs not being that great.

I also suspect a lot of Pats fans who really hate that the Pats didn't do whatever it took to bring Brady back are emotionally invested in the Bucs being better than the Pats next season.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #136 on: March 25, 2020, 10:16:25 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
I guess we'll find out, if there's a season.

I guess I'm skeptical that a team that has been a "preseason sleeper" for the last half decade and yet never made the playoffs is suddenly legit because they added this version of Tom Brady, ie a very solid game manager.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't at all emotionally invested in the Bucs not being that great.

I also suspect a lot of Pats fans who really hate that the Pats didn't do whatever it took to bring Brady back are emotionally invested in the Bucs being better than the Pats next season.
The only thing giving me pause with Tampa bay is the likely heavily abbreviated preseason/training camp.

I think he’s a major upgrade from Winston, I think Arians and Bowles are a great offensive/defensive coaching combo and I think TB was a team on the rise with or without a new QB.

However building chemistry etc was gonna be tough regardless and it looks like the timeline on that might be substantially shorter than us usual.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #137 on: March 26, 2020, 08:26:42 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
If Brady causes, and he probably will, the Tampa turnover total from the QB position to go from 33 to say 12 and pick 6's from 7 to 2, I am guessing the Tampa DVOA will skyrocket and their number of wins to increase by 3-4 wins.
Is he going to throw for 5100 yards?  I mean even with all of the turnovers Winston's passer rating was 84.3 while Brady's was 88.  The turnovers can certainly be killers, but Winston has a huge arm and threw for a lot of yards.  Winston, despite being far more mobile, was sacked like 20 times more as well.  The Tampa OL was awful.  I'm sure they will make improvements but Brady is going to get hit a lot more.  The WR's are better in Tampa, but Tom has no connection with any of them.  He doesn't know their tendencies and they don't know his.  The Bucs also have a more difficult division and a tougher schedule than anything the Patriots have seen in years.  I mean the Bucs play the NFC North, AFC West, Giants, and Rams along with the Saints, Falcons, and Panthers twice.  That is a tough schedule.  The Bucs could legitimately be a better team and still end up with a similar or even worse record. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #138 on: March 26, 2020, 08:39:06 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
If Brady causes, and he probably will, the Tampa turnover total from the QB position to go from 33 to say 12 and pick 6's from 7 to 2, I am guessing the Tampa DVOA will skyrocket and their number of wins to increase by 3-4 wins.
Is he going to throw for 5100 yards?  I mean even with all of the turnovers Winston's passer rating was 84.3 while Brady's was 88.  The turnovers can certainly be killers, but Winston has a huge arm and threw for a lot of yards.  Winston, despite being far more mobile, was sacked like 20 times more as well.  The Tampa OL was awful.  I'm sure they will make improvements but Brady is going to get hit a lot more.  The WR's are better in Tampa, but Tom has no connection with any of them.  He doesn't know their tendencies and they don't know his.  The Bucs also have a more difficult division and a tougher schedule than anything the Patriots have seen in years.  I mean the Bucs play the NFC North, AFC West, Giants, and Rams along with the Saints, Falcons, and Panthers twice.  That is a tough schedule.  The Bucs could legitimately be a better team and still end up with a similar or even worse record.
The Bucs O-Line was a top ten pass protecting O-Line, lol. I think cutting interceptions by 3/4 and fumbles by 2/3 is pretty obviously more important to a team with such talented wide receivers than being able to throw it far. Brady's INT % index is nearly double Winston's, and Brady had the same TD % index in 2018 - the last time Brady had a solid receiving core - as Winston's career high.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #139 on: April 30, 2020, 09:29:38 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2943
  • On To Banner 18!
The Bengals just released Andy Dalton. If the price is cheap, do you think the Pats go after him? Personally, I wouldn't mind him if he took the Winston route and signed for cheap to be a backup and potentially fight for a QB spot. I'd certainly rather him than Hoyer.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller