Author Topic: All Star Game just became so gimmicky as to be unwatchable  (Read 17718 times)

Re: All Star Game just became so gimmicky as to be unwatchable
« Reply #90 on: February 17, 2020, 06:39:17 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
So, Ms. Chaka Khan's rendition of the National Anthem is being compared to Fergies?

https://www.aol.com/article/entertainment/2020/02/17/chaka-khans-national-anthem-performance-at-nba-all-star-game-gets-roasted-on-twitter/23928515/

OUTLANDISH.

Ms. Chaka's rendition was CLASSY, respectful and sung from a Black person's perspective. She put her OWN stamp on it that was classy.

Those criticizing her for it are simply trying to reconcile her to Fergie's Hot Mess of a rendition.

« Reply #91 on: February 17, 2020, 08:28:42 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 770
My thoughts
- I thought it was dumb that the all-star starters didn't finish the game. Kyle Lowry is a feisty player, but Trae Young should have been in. The same with Paul and Doncic.
- Connected to that, Butler is a much, much better player to have in the game at that moment than Siakim. If we are not going with straight all-star starters, and we are playing by seniority or by the best competitors late, it should have been Butler. It just felt like Nurse played his two guys.
- I also realized just how bad post up play is these days. Embiid is just bad there. Posting up is about rhythm and getting to your shot, then setting a guy with a fake to that shot next time. Embiid just bullies and fakes until the defender makes a mistake, then tries to draw a foul.
- With others, I wish Walker played better. He looked like the one guy on the court that didn't belong.
- I really wanted a technical given out.
- That's the first time I've ever seen a "pride game" from this generation. They went hard. Everything mattered.
- IF YOU ARE GOING FOR A PICKUP AESTHETIC AT THE END, THERE IS NO REASON A FREE THROW SHOULD WIN THE GAME.
- Lebron James is my least favorite player ever. He 100% should have tried to take Giannis on that last play. It was poetic how they matched up. He was too scared.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 08:35:07 AM by DefenseWinsChamps »

« Reply #92 on: February 17, 2020, 08:48:24 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
My thoughts
- I thought it was dumb that the all-star starters didn't finish the game. Kyle Lowry is a feisty player, but Trae Young should have been in. The same with Paul and Doncic.
- Connected to that, Butler is a much, much better player to have in the game at that moment than Siakim. If we are not going with straight all-star starters, and we are playing by seniority or by the best competitors late, it should have been Butler. It just felt like Nurse played his two guys.
- I also realized just how bad post up play is these days. Embiid is just bad there. Posting up is about rhythm and getting to your shot, then setting a guy with a fake to that shot next time. Embiid just bullies and fakes until the defender makes a mistake, then tries to draw a foul.
- With others, I wish Walker played better. He looked like the one guy on the court that didn't belong.
- I really wanted a technical given out.
- That's the first time I've ever seen a "pride game" from this generation. They went hard. Everything mattered.
- IF YOU ARE GOING FOR A PICKUP AESTHETIC AT THE END, THERE IS NO REASON A FREE THROW SHOULD WIN THE GAME.
- Lebron James is my least favorite player ever. He 100% should have tried to take Giannis on that last play. It was poetic how they matched up. He was too scared.

Huh, Walker was one of their best players. He just had a bad 4th quarter. Also Trae Young wouldve been a very bad choice there. He can guard nobody there.

I have never seen an all-star game where it was required to have your starters finish the game. For as long as I can remember, the coaches decides who plays at the end.

« Reply #93 on: February 17, 2020, 09:03:18 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1836
So, Ms. Chaka Khan's rendition of the National Anthem is being compared to Fergies?

https://www.aol.com/article/entertainment/2020/02/17/chaka-khans-national-anthem-performance-at-nba-all-star-game-gets-roasted-on-twitter/23928515/

OUTLANDISH.

Ms. Chaka's rendition was CLASSY, respectful and sung from a Black person's perspective. She put her OWN stamp on it that was classy.

Those criticizing her for it are simply trying to reconcile her to Fergie's Hot Mess of a rendition.

I love Chaka Kahn, have since the 70's. But that was not a good rendition. She seemed a little lost on where she was going multiple times.

« Reply #94 on: February 17, 2020, 09:13:20 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
That was superb.  That had a game 7 feeling

Challenges, flops, charges, jump balls, whining. Yep pretty much spot on.

Thumbs up

I loved Lowry testing charge taking waters.  They had to call the second one.

I'd be curious what the time of play ended up being for 4th.  It had to have been more than 12 minutes.
It took like 42 minutes in real time apparently. Not sure how long if you were keeping the clock like a normal quarter.

« Reply #95 on: February 17, 2020, 09:14:38 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
I think the Elam ending worked.

I do think its somewhat wrongly getting credit for how the game got competitive. I think that was on Giannis and a few others on his team coming out in the second quarter and just kicking but. Just driving to the rim for layups over and over and running hard. Kinda slapped LBJ's team into getting a little more juiced up.

« Reply #96 on: February 17, 2020, 09:17:55 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis

OUTLANDISH.

I love Chaka Kahn, have since the 70's. But that was not a good rendition. She seemed a little lost on where she was going multiple times.

Agree to disagree, my friend...not the way I heard it.

« Reply #97 on: February 17, 2020, 09:28:15 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 303
I was only able to watch the 4th quarter last night. It was so refreshing to see all the players actually care and do everything they could to win the game. I don’t know how you fix it, but the game shouldn’t end on a free throw. The way it ended, reminded me of Saturday’s dunk contest. Derrick Jones Jr and Aaron Gordon went back and forth with 50’s multiple times, and was on its way into an instant classic. And then it ended on a disappointing judgement call, which took away everything that made the contest so special.

« Reply #98 on: February 17, 2020, 09:39:55 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
I was only able to watch the 4th quarter last night. It was so refreshing to see all the players actually care and do everything they could to win the game. I don’t know how you fix it, but the game shouldn’t end on a free throw. The way it ended, reminded me of Saturday’s dunk contest. Derrick Jones Jr and Aaron Gordon went back and forth with 50’s multiple times, and was on its way into an instant classic. And then it ended on a disappointing judgement call, which took away everything that made the contest so special.

Yeah I have no idea how to fix it but it just felt so wrong to have it end on a freethrow. You cannot ignore fouls though, or else it would be unwatchable with all of them just fouling to prevent baskets.

« Reply #99 on: February 17, 2020, 09:43:20 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

Yeah I have no idea how to fix it but it just felt so wrong to have it end on a freethrow. You cannot ignore fouls though, or else it would be unwatchable with all of them just fouling to prevent baskets.
If Lowry is going to tackle AD to prevent a cool poster dunk to end it, then you have to let it end on a FT.

Because AD was 100% going to catch and finish it if he doesn't just pull him down to the ground.

« Reply #100 on: February 17, 2020, 10:34:27 AM »

Offline CF033

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74

I was perfectly fine with it ending on a free throw. Lowry did EXACTLY what he had to do to give his team the best change to stay in it. Of course he's going to foul the crud out of AD rather than just let him jam it, anyone would. If anything I liked that it came down to a single free throw it because it was indicative that they were scrapping all the to the end of the game.

I don't know whether it was playing to a specific score or the charity money (or something else) that had the players playing a real basketball game.

Most entertaining all-star game in a LONG time. Most of the time the all-star game is pretty much like watching a shoot around which is really exciting.

As for the dunk contest I thought that Derek Jones was a little bit better than Aron Gordon so I was ok with it. I thought Aron Gordon's first dunk using Chance the Rapper should've been <50 (compared to the other dunks we were seeing) so the contest would've ended there anyway.

Obviously still flaws in NBA all-star weekend but it's good to see them making strides to make it entertaining again.

« Reply #101 on: February 17, 2020, 10:58:20 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo

I was perfectly fine with it ending on a free throw. Lowry did EXACTLY what he had to do to give his team the best change to stay in it. Of course he's going to foul the crud out of AD rather than just let him jam it, anyone would. If anything I liked that it came down to a single free throw it because it was indicative that they were scrapping all the to the end of the game.

I don't know whether it was playing to a specific score or the charity money (or something else) that had the players playing a real basketball game.

Most entertaining all-star game in a LONG time. Most of the time the all-star game is pretty much like watching a shoot around which is really exciting.

As for the dunk contest I thought that Derek Jones was a little bit better than Aron Gordon so I was ok with it. I thought Aron Gordon's first dunk using Chance the Rapper should've been <50 (compared to the other dunks we were seeing) so the contest would've ended there anyway.

Obviously still flaws in NBA all-star weekend but it's good to see them making strides to make it entertaining again.

What I meant was it was anti-climactic to end it on a freethrow. Of course a freethrow shot should be given there, and Lowry had no choice. But I wouldve preferred an awesome shot to end the game.

« Reply #102 on: February 17, 2020, 12:24:20 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 303
When team Lebron had 154 points, the whole crowd was on the edge of their seats, knowing a 3 could win the game. With every 3 the team put up, the crowd was ready to explode. Then team Giannis closed in and the score was 156-155 Lebron. The crowd was waiting for a FG to end the game. Once Davis was fouled and sent to the free throw line, the energy left the building.

It felt like an old school extra point in the NFL, where the field goal unit lined up on the 3 yard line. No one paid attention to it because it was virtually automatic.

Since were already changing the rules for the game, why not go further. A free throw can’t win the All Star game. In a situation where a team is fouled and has a chance to win the game at the free throw line, a one minute play clock comes into effect, if the made free throws add up to the target score. The team that made the target score only needs to score a FG to win in that time frame. Any foul by the opposing team to prevent a FG attempt, results in a 10 second runoff. The team that didn’t hit the target score first, can only win by having the lead at the end of that one minute mark.

« Reply #103 on: February 17, 2020, 12:38:35 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 294
When team Lebron had 154 points, the whole crowd was on the edge of their seats, knowing a 3 could win the game. With every 3 the team put up, the crowd was ready to explode. Then team Giannis closed in and the score was 156-155 Lebron. The crowd was waiting for a FG to end the game. Once Davis was fouled and sent to the free throw line, the energy left the building.

It felt like an old school extra point in the NFL, where the field goal unit lined up on the 3 yard line. No one paid attention to it because it was virtually automatic.

Since were already changing the rules for the game, why not go further. A free throw can’t win the All Star game. In a situation where a team is fouled and has a chance to win the game at the free throw line, a one minute play clock comes into effect, if the made free throws add up to the target score. The team that made the target score only needs to score a FG to win in that time frame. Any foul by the opposing team to prevent a FG attempt, results in a 10 second runoff. The team that didn’t hit the target score first, can only win by having the lead at the end of that one minute mark.

Someone proposed that on a game ending play, free throws would take away the other teams points, keeping a game ending FG alive but still punishing the fouling team.

« Reply #104 on: February 17, 2020, 01:11:33 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis

OUTLANDISH.

Agree to disagree, my friend...not the way I heard it.

I will say this, though - her voice has aged a LITTLE...through no fault of her own, though.

When I compare it to THIS classic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-g1wTUzAg64

you can tell it has aged just a bit.

Still don't agree with the Fergie comparisons, though. In Fergie's defense she did apologize though.