Thanks for legwork, Slam....TP
I really wonder what the Celtics would do with three new guys?
last year, adding three more sounds like trades, stashes, swaps, cuts and burns.
Whenever I look at these bigs on the draft boards? I just see Robert Williams over and over again. "We already have this guy." Ok, he's injured all the time.
Wanamaker - out
Poirier - out
TP back at ya for being a devoted reader
Personally, I look at the current roster and the 5 potential draft picks for next season and there's obviously a lack of roster spaces for everyone.
My (uneducated) guess.
- Poirier (not an NBA caliber player. he's under contract but can't see any explanation for keeping him around)
-Wanamaker (better contract elsewhere and also the only player on the 15-man roster who isn't under some kind of contract next season)
-Semi ( Team option - nice player to have and at a nice price but C's really need to have someone better as a back up PF unless he really develops his offense the rest of the season)
-Green (non-guaranteed contract - nice player to have if we didn't have other guards/wings under contract that we're hoping will develop and contribute next year)
Theis (non-guaranteed contract -- no way C's let him walk with how he's produced this year and at such a cheap cost)
- Gordon can opt out but I suspect he opts in and gets signed to an extension. if he does opt out, I have to believe it's because he's got a deal in place with Danny to resign.
- Kanter can opt out and likely will. Can't help but see Danny using every means available to bring him back which likely means the MLE gets used to resign him.
- with the MLE expected to be used up on Kanter, C's would be kicking the tires on vet min players if they have any slots open.
- Waters figures to make the club next year filling Wanamaker's spot
- Tacko will either be back on another 2-way deal or collecting a paycheck elsewhere. he won't be ready for meaningful minutes for at least 2-3 years if ever.
- I don't see the core 5 or Theis going anywhere.
- Langford, GWill, Timelord, Edwards, Poirier, Waters and all of the draft picks are likely in play for a deal. I would expect Poirier to be moved at a bare minimum with likely the C's or Buck's picks going out for another bench guy or a future pick. Might need both to move him. Would anticipate Green or Edwards going out as part of that deal to free up some salary and a spot.
- Memphis pick was almost assured to be kept when they looked like a lottery team but if they make the playoffs and the pick stays around 16-17 going into the draft I would not be surprised to see it used in a trade with one or more of our young players (other than Langford and GWill) to bring in a vet.
- If Danny keeps the Memphis pick, I highly anticipate him dealing the other first rounders as part of a deal to move Poirier and/or to get a future pick from a team that doesn't have a pick this year. If Danny doesn't trade the second rounders, I think use them to take flyers on guys to see if they might be able to stick with the club. He tends to have pretty good results with the second rounders and they're not guaranteed contracts.