Author Topic: NBA 2019-2020 season thread  (Read 404495 times)

Re: NBA 2019-2020 season thread
« Reply #255 on: October 30, 2019, 10:22:04 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 294
Memphis not even really trying against LA.

Given AD 27 free throws. Only given Jonas V and Ja low 20's for minutes, while Tyus Jones and Grayson Allen have 15+ despite their +/- being -27 and -25 respectively. Also got Marko Guduric (who?) getting significant playing time.

Love it! I know LA getting wins always sucks, but the Grizz clearly have no desire to be overly competitive this season.
grizz are tanking for whatever reason

That memphis pick is 24k gold
The Memphis pick is top 6 protected mate.
Yeah, but then it's unprotected. Can't imagine them being a non-lotto team any time soon
A non-lotto team can range from 2000s Bobcats to 2018 Kings, so I'd much rather it turn out to be #7 this year than #14 the next in a vacuum.

Neat and tidy 3300th post 8)

It's always early to tell these things, but the 2021 #14 pick could easily be better than the #7 in 2020 just looking at the strength of the draft classes.

Also, an unprotected pick always carries a little extra value in a vacuum.

« Reply #256 on: October 30, 2019, 10:42:17 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 578
Memphis not even really trying against LA.

Given AD 27 free throws. Only given Jonas V and Ja low 20's for minutes, while Tyus Jones and Grayson Allen have 15+ despite their +/- being -27 and -25 respectively. Also got Marko Guduric (who?) getting significant playing time.

Love it! I know LA getting wins always sucks, but the Grizz clearly have no desire to be overly competitive this season.
grizz are tanking for whatever reason

That memphis pick is 24k gold
The Memphis pick is top 6 protected mate.
Yeah, but then it's unprotected. Can't imagine them being a non-lotto team any time soon
A non-lotto team can range from 2000s Bobcats to 2018 Kings, so I'd much rather it turn out to be #7 this year than #14 the next in a vacuum.

Neat and tidy 3300th post 8)

It's always early to tell these things, but the 2021 #14 pick could easily be better than the #7 in 2020 just looking at the strength of the draft classes.

Also, an unprotected pick always carries a little extra value in a vacuum.

The above is pretty much my understanding as well. But even without taking into account the overall strength of the drafts the difference in value between the 7th pick and the 14th pick isnt hugely substantial. After the top 5 draft pick value rapidly begins to level off. The expected win shares of the 3rd pick over a players first five season is around 23. For the 7th pick over their first five seasons is about 12.5, for the 14th pick its around 6. In other words the difference between the 3rd and 7th pick is about twice that as the difference between the 7th and 14th pick. That huge difference in value is why when you are given a chance to chase a top 5 pick you always do it. It really shouldn't even be debatable.

And thats before you take into account thats the best case scenario for the pick converting this year. The pick converting at 8th or 9th or the Grizzlies being 10th or 11th next year closes that hypothetical value play even further. Really what you should be rooting for is MEM to finish 5th or 6th, keep that pick this year and then roll the dice next year. This is especially true with new lottery odds that give even the 8th, 9th or 10th teams a decent shot at moving up. So the grizz could improve to like the 10th worst team and  we get some lottery luck.

To illustrate lets put names next to the draft positions. In 2018 the 7th/8th pick was Wendell Carter/Collin Sexton in 2019 the 14t/15th pick was our own Romeo Langford and Sekou Doumbouya. Now is the difference between Carter/Sexton and Langford/Doumbouya that big that you would have sacrificed the chance at Zion/Morant? No, its not.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 10:51:53 AM by keevsnick »

« Reply #257 on: October 30, 2019, 09:04:27 PM »

Online bdm860

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 4599
Maybe the NBA is turning into the NHL promoting fights.

Embiid/Towns fisticuffs is the first thing I see on NBA.com right now.  Love it.

For those who haven't seen it

Edit - better link with replays, alternate angles.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 09:24:40 PM by bdm860 »

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #258 on: October 30, 2019, 09:07:15 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

Embiid/Towns fisticuffs is the first thing I see on there right now.  Love it.

why wasnt Simons ejected?

« Reply #259 on: October 30, 2019, 09:24:14 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 562

Because the refs wanted to get out of Philly alive.   ;D

Seriously, Simmons wasn't involved in the start of the altercation.  He just went in to pull Towns away.  He was just very effective at doing so.  There's another video that show Simmons having Towns in a headlock pinned to the ground.  Looks like Towns taps. 

« Reply #260 on: October 30, 2019, 09:34:22 PM »

Online bdm860

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 4599

Seriously, Simmons wasn't involved in the start of the altercation.  He just went in to pull Towns away.  He was just very effective at doing so.  There's another video that show Simmons having Towns in a headlock pinned to the ground.  Looks like Towns taps.

I'm personally kind of surprised guys breaking up fights has never really turned into a bigger problem.

Here we see Simmons try to pull KAT back, and Teague pulling Embiid back.  But if I was worked up enough to be in a fight, and somebody from the other team puts their hands on me, well then I just entered a new fight.  So if I'm KAT here, I'm throwing punches at Embiid, and then once Simmons grabs me, now I'm throwing punches at him too, who would probably then in turn start throwing punches back at me, and now the fight just got that much bigger and harder to control.

Famous story of Bird/Dr. J fight. Barkley says he was trying to play peace maker and pull them apart, but just ended up letting Dr. J get a bunch of free punches in.

I think there should be a rule that you can only pull your own teammates back, but then again it's never really been a problem.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 10:21:07 PM by bdm860 »

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #261 on: October 30, 2019, 09:47:16 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3075
  • On To Banner 18!
Nets down 14 to the 0-3 Pacers.

Kyrie got what he want (his own team and the ability to put up numbers). Not translating into wins though.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #262 on: October 30, 2019, 09:52:18 PM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587

Kyrie got what he want (his own team and the ability to put up numbers). Not translating into wins though.

Should be 0-4, they got lucky against the Knicks. How long until Nets fans turn on Kyrie?

« Reply #263 on: October 30, 2019, 09:54:04 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Red Auerbach
  • On To Banner 18!

Should be 0-4, they got lucky against the Knicks. How long until Nets fans turn on Kyrie?

I think if they keep losing, it'll happen. I mean, we're already seeing reports out of BKN about his mood swings, and that moment where he apparently seemed to be yelling at his own teammates during a huddle  :P

« Reply #264 on: October 30, 2019, 10:00:57 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

Is it his team or is it KD's team?  KD took a backseat to Westbrook in OKC and Steph in GSW.  Is he going to take a backseat to Kyrie too? 

« Reply #265 on: October 30, 2019, 10:03:23 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Red Auerbach
  • On To Banner 18!

Is it his team or is it KD's team?  KD took a backseat to Westbrook in OKC and Steph in GSW.  Is he going to take a backseat to Kyrie too?

It's KD's team, after this season. In 2019-2020, it's Kyrie's team

« Reply #266 on: October 30, 2019, 10:14:36 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

I'm personally kind of surprised guys breaking up fights has never really turned into a bigger problem.

Here we see Simmons try to pull KAT back, and Teague pulling Embiid back.  But if I was worked up enough to be in a fight, and somebody from the other team puts their hands on me, well then I just entered a new fight.  So if I'm KAT here, I'm throwing punches at Embiid, and then once Simmons grabs me, now I'm throwing punches at him too, who would probably then in turn start throwing punches back at me, and now the fight just got that much bigger and harder to control.

Famous story of Bird/Dr. J fight. Barkley says he was trying to play peace maker and pull them apart, but just ended up letting Dr. J get a punch of free punches in.

I think there should be a rule that you can only pull your own teammates back, but then again it's never really been a problem.
Not sure where Teague came from but at least Simmons was close.  There were players running from the other side of the court to get involved.  Its a macho thing.  Remember a couple years ago when Lonzo made the smart choice and didn't get involved in an altercation.  People were saying he wasn't being a good teammate. 

I am glad this "everybody be friends" that Lebron and his ilk ushered in seems to be going away.  I like some bad blood as long as it doesn't go too far. 

« Reply #267 on: October 30, 2019, 10:20:24 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

Famous story of Bird/Dr. J fight. Barkley says he was trying to play peace maker and pull them apart, but just ended up letting Dr. J get a punch of free punches in.

Not sure where Teague came from but at least Simmons was close.  There were players running from the other side of the court to get involved.  Its a macho thing.  Remember a couple years ago when Lonzo made the smart choice and didn't get involved in an altercation.  People were saying he wasn't being a good teammate. 

I am glad this "everybody be friends" that Lebron and his ilk ushered in seems to be going away.  I like some bad blood as long as it doesn't go too far.

Holding someone back in a fight is the most dangerous thing you can do in a scrum. You are really leaving the person open to a serious injury.

« Reply #268 on: October 30, 2019, 10:25:28 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3228
WOW, Wiz vs Rockets game is nuts!

« Reply #269 on: October 30, 2019, 10:28:51 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
WOW, Wiz vs Rockets game is nuts!

300 points and the game is still in the 4th!

Since Washing and Houston are in game 7 of the world series, no one is watching this game.