Author Topic: Daryl Morey's job on the line after Hong Kong tweet furore  (Read 10359 times)

Re: Daryl Morey's job on the line after Hong Kong tweet furore
« Reply #90 on: October 09, 2019, 09:23:27 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Tommy Heinsohn
  • Tommy Points: 1168
  • What a Pub Should Be
one of the more fascinating angles of this story is how the same players who refused to just “shut up and dribble” are absolutely MIA on this topic. it just goes to show you that when there is real money on the table, pointing out social injustice sort of takes the backseat. All of the sudden these guys just shut up and dribble.

So do you want them to "shut up & dribble" or not?

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #91 on: October 09, 2019, 10:45:14 AM »

Online Ogaju

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1134
one of the more fascinating angles of this story is how the same players who refused to just “shut up and dribble” are absolutely MIA on this topic. it just goes to show you that when there is real money on the table, pointing out social injustice sort of takes the backseat. All of the sudden these guys just shut up and dribble.

They can do whatever they want, but should also be ready to face the consequences. China owns a lot of people and countries. Politics is a big boy game.

« Reply #92 on: October 09, 2019, 11:27:53 AM »

Offline bdm860

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1990

I don't think this exact situation is fair to the players.

Are they shutting up or are they just not speaking up about something they have no idea about?  I would imagine not many really know what's going on over there, and whose side is the "right" side.

Topics that hit close to home though, things they may have seen or experienced first hand, they can speak out about that, but things happening 6-7k miles away, that they're not really informed on, should they be speaking out about that?

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #93 on: October 09, 2019, 12:24:23 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1354
So apparently a fan was kicked out of last night's Sixers game in Philadelphia for shouting "Free Hong Kong", this after having a sign displaying the same message was confiscated by security.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/sixers/2019/10/09/nba-china-philadelphia-76-ers-fan-kicked-out-hong-kong-support/3917963002/

« Reply #94 on: October 09, 2019, 02:20:30 PM »

Online ozgod

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 313

Are they shutting up or are they just not speaking up about something they have no idea about?  I would imagine not many really know what's going on over there, and whose side is the "right" side.

Topics that hit close to home though, things they may have seen or experienced first hand, they can speak out about that, but things happening 6-7k miles away, that they're not really informed on, should they be speaking out about that?

Agree with this. Take Harden for an example. I'm sure Harden doesn’t even know anything about Hong Kong or why they are protesting, nor does he probably care. Not saying that in a bad way but it just doesn't affect his life and there are many other things closer to home that probably do.

All he knows is that China is mad at Morey. If you asked him to tell you why, he probably wouldn't be able to tell you. I could be wrong, and he could have studied the Opium Wars, the chip that China carries on its shoulder, the extradition bill that was proposed due to the murder of a Hong Kong national on Taiwanese soil that kicked off the whole protests, and the Umbrella Revolution of 2014 but I doubt it.

Now he's getting criticized for apologizing. He probably should’ve just kept his mouth shut and said nothing since he wasn’t educated on the subject and didn’t even know what he was actually apologizing for. He was probably told to apologize and just did it.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #95 on: October 09, 2019, 03:07:10 PM »

Offline gift

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 183
So apparently a fan was kicked out of last night's Sixers game in Philadelphia for shouting "Free Hong Kong", this after having a sign displaying the same message was confiscated by security.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/sixers/2019/10/09/nba-china-philadelphia-76-ers-fan-kicked-out-hong-kong-support/3917963002/

Hmmm... I wonder if they were actually being disruptive or if that was an excuse to kick them out.

« Reply #96 on: October 09, 2019, 03:10:38 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Tommy Heinsohn
  • Tommy Points: 1168
  • What a Pub Should Be

Hmmm... I wonder if they were actually being disruptive or if that was an excuse to kick them out.

Well, there usually are 3 sides to a story so who knows.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #97 on: October 09, 2019, 03:11:30 PM »

Offline gift

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 183

They may not truly know much about those topics that hit close to home either though. They may just think they do and the perception is that they do. Most domestic issues are more complex than the typical athlete tends to recognize publicly. So while the situations are different, perhaps one lesson we might learn from this is that all situations are likely to be more nuanced than a statement or gesture can summarize. And maybe that's why a level of tact and timing is appropriate to all expression.

« Reply #98 on: October 09, 2019, 03:58:38 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Ed Macauley

I mean, if the Sixers have a standing policy of 'no demonstrations' and they follow it indiscriminately, I'm fine with that, as it is their right.  But it isn't obviously clear to me that is actually the case here.

I would be willing to bet if the sign had said 'I can't breathe', 'me too', or any other slogan advocating for a domestic cause that is currently popular there would have been no issue.  Maybe I'm wrong, but I doubt it.

I'll give the NBA the benefit of the doubt here, for the time being, but the Sixers and the NBA have some explaining to do.  If they've been lenient of this type of thing before it's going to be another strike against the league.

« Reply #99 on: October 09, 2019, 04:17:59 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1990
I would be willing to bet if the sign had said 'I can't breathe', 'me too', or any other slogan advocating for a domestic cause that is currently popular there would have been no issue.  Maybe I'm wrong, but I doubt it.

Well they infamously banned a singer about to sing the national anthem for wearing a "we matter" shirt back in Oct. 2016.

Sixers later apologized and invited her back to sing at another game, where she wore her "we matter" jersey.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #100 on: October 09, 2019, 04:43:50 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Ed Macauley

Well they infamously banned a singer about to sing the national anthem for wearing a "we matter" shirt back in Oct. 2016.

Sixers later apologized and invited her back to sing at another game, where she wore her "we matter" jersey.

Interesting, I can't say I recall that.

So it seems the Sixers have a history of both being heavy-handed and having to later apologize due to what was most likely public outcry. 

I was wrong, there was an issue. 

Interested to see if the NBA ignores this or addresses it.  I suspect China is going to have something to say about it.

« Reply #101 on: October 09, 2019, 05:08:10 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 697
So, this seems related.

https://www.polygon.com/2019/10/9/20906320/overwatch-mei-blizzard-hong-kong-protest-banned-memes

Summary:  Game publisher Blizzard disqualified & suspended a professional Overwatch player, Chung Ng Wai, for expressing support for Hong Kong during an Overwatch tournament broadcast.   In response, gamers around the world have started a campaign to tightly associate one of the Overwatch characters, "Mei", with support for Hong Kong protests.

Their strategy is that, if an Overwatch symbol becomes tightly associated with Hong Kong resistance, then Chinese authorities may end up banning Overwatch (China has a history of banning products for similar reasons).

Various social media networks have been flooded with such associations between Mei and Hong Kong resistance.

So, basically a parallel case of the tension between free speech and a corporation wanting to make money off the Chinese market and thus being afraid to do anything to tick China off.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #102 on: October 09, 2019, 05:38:32 PM »

Offline OnPoint

• Aron Baynes
  • Tommy Points: 113
the latest south park episode is an absolute must watch, they essentially predicted the future just last week. you can watch it free online, just duckduckgo it.

« Reply #103 on: October 09, 2019, 05:47:14 PM »

Offline OnPoint

• Aron Baynes
  • Tommy Points: 113

it would seem that when a situation arises, which would have true financial consequences for players if they spoke out, they go silent. And that there was nothing brave and courageous about speaking out on the issues before.

Players can say and do whatever they want

« Reply #104 on: October 09, 2019, 06:41:59 PM »

Online nickagneta

• Global Moderator
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 6212
Trump is now chiming in and he is not just criticizing Steve Kerr and Gregg Pipovich for not having comments on this situation, but is insulting their manhood, bravery and patriotism simply because they did not comment on the situation.

Unreal.