Author Topic: 2019 Historical: How Does My Team Look Thread  (Read 53826 times)

Re: 2019 Historical: How Does My Team Look Thread
« Reply #210 on: September 06, 2019, 06:05:46 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
I have Philly as top of the East but I am unsure between Portland and Los Angeles to top the West. Those two are very close.

Portland get destroyed by spurs.

Payton defends magic advantage to magic

Kobe destroys clyde

Small forward is a draw

Barkley beat dave.

Hakeem destroys moses

My bench runs theirs into ground.

I have the best player. I have the 3rd best player and those 2 are against others that cannot defend them
« Last Edit: September 06, 2019, 06:15:24 AM by Silky »

« Reply #211 on: September 06, 2019, 06:37:09 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25592
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I have Philly as top of the East but I am unsure between Portland and Los Angeles to top the West. Those two are very close.

Kobe destroys clyde

Small forward is a draw

Barkley beat dave.

Hakeem destroys moses

I have the best player. I have the 3rd best player and those 2 are against others that cannot defend them

You would be surprised how evenly Moses and Hakeem played one another when their primes overlapped. Until he hit age 34 or so, he could go point for point and rebound for rebound with Hakeem.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #212 on: September 06, 2019, 06:37:17 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
Against Philly.

Bird scored 2ppg more than Bob in head to head. Rebound and got more assist though. Plus 2 to philly.

In 2002-2003 NOT prime payton. Payton outscore kidd 87 to 64. Slight advantage to kidd in rebounds. Advantage in assists. Advantage shooting oercentage to payton. And that was old payton. Payton wins by 1

Lets call kobe and pierce a draw. Its really close

Malone versus dave. Malone wpuldnt bully as much. And malone himeself states that without stockton he wasnt nearly as good. But kidd is as good atvsetting people up as stockton. Advantage malone. Plus 2.

Hakeem smokes patrick ewing. Statistically. Head to head all favor hakeem. Plus 2

Bench

Tiny versus a 6foot8 pg eho can postup yet has the speed to defend tiny. Advantage penny plus 1

Moncrief and king. Draw

Aguirre melo. Slightest of advantages to melo due to size and postup ability. Plus 1

Lucas horford. Horford has mobilty to defend on perimeter and is 4 inches taller and weighs more. Advantage horford. Plus 1

Lanier and kat is interesting. One plays strong inside which is a weakness for kat. One plays outside in which is a weakness for lanier. So draw?

Head to head spurs win.

But then the arguement will change to fit and chemistry and Kobe will get pointed at for destroying chemistry. But in 2008 olympics he was a true teammate. I know it olympics and not nba but it just proves that the notion that kobe is all about kobe is false. He is about winning and doing what it takes. Problem is he never had real strong teams around him so he had to go mamba. With a team he was fine

Heck i remember once jeremy lin waved off kobe. And kobe didnt kill him.

« Reply #213 on: September 06, 2019, 06:43:52 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell

Kobe destroys clyde

Small forward is a draw

Barkley beat dave.

Hakeem destroys moses

You would be surprised how evenly Moses and Hakeem played one another when their primes overlapped. Until he hit age 34 or so, he could go point for point and rebound for rebound with Hakeem.

24/13/1.5/1/1.5 for malone in his chosen year.
28/11/3.5/1.8/4.5 for hakeem.

Its unfortunate that their primes never crossed over.

Now i may have been a little premature stating hakeem destroys him. But hakeem bests him. That position is an overally advantage in hakeem favor. A net positive.

And honestly i would most likely lineup differently against that team. Kat or melo comes into starting lineup to make barkley work defensively.

Melo is very similar built but KAT wpuld give alot of problems to him.

Or I could also start Yao against moses' low post game. 7foot6 and 300lbs will negate some or alot of moses' repertoire.

Probably let hakeem go against barkley as he loses little by switching to pf against this team.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2019, 06:54:27 AM by Silky »

« Reply #214 on: September 06, 2019, 06:57:53 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25592
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I think you might be overestimating Hakeem, or underestimating some of his opponents in this draft.

He’s not going to dominate Moses 1-on-1, not Patrick Ewing. For instance, in the year Goukii selected:

Hakeem: 24 points, 13 rebounds, 2 assists, 44 turnovers, 4% FG% (fouled out both games)

Ewing: 33 points, 11 rebounds, 3 assists, 5 turnovers, 46% FG%

They’re playing different roles here, but the notion that Hakeem would abuse Ewing like a rag doll is silly.

Or I could also start Yao against moses' low post game. 7foot6 and 300lbs will negate some or alot of moses' repertoire.

Probably let hakeem go against barkley as he loses little by switching to pf against this team.

A Yao / Hakeem vs. Moses / Barkley front court wouldn’t be an advantage.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #215 on: September 06, 2019, 07:01:40 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
I feel as though I could make a detailed list of how my team can beat philly or portland.

But I believe sentimentality is taking over.

People remember bird and bird versus magic and jordan.

That trumps all debate and statistical support.

But for fun perhaps i will today when I get to office
Their teams are also excellently built. Imo if sentimentality takes over the votes you'd be ranked at the very top of the standings (not to say that your team is bad, it's very good but not on the level of those two imo, and you can look at the draft thread before you call me a Bird/Magic stan).
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #216 on: September 06, 2019, 07:02:10 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2434
I'd give Hakeem the advantage over Moses. Scoring and rebounding are neutral but Hakeem has a big advantage as a team defender.

« Reply #217 on: September 06, 2019, 07:02:27 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
Surprised that my team is getting this much love :o
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #218 on: September 06, 2019, 07:08:55 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
I think you might be overestimating Hakeem, or underestimating some of his opponents in this draft.

He’s not going to dominate Moses 1-on-1, not Patrick Ewing. For instance, in the year Goukii selected:

Hakeem: 24 points, 13 rebounds, 2 assists, 44 turnovers, 4% FG% (fouled out both games)

Ewing: 33 points, 11 rebounds, 3 assists, 5 turnovers, 46% FG%

They’re playing different roles here, but the notion that Hakeem would abuse Ewing like a rag doll is silly.

A Yao / Hakeem vs. Moses / Barkley front court wouldn’t be an advantage.
Agreed. And what baffles me is that Silky went with Hakeem's second best season in his career statistically when he said he looks at the numbers to quantify a player's impact. Hakeem's 1993 season was absolutely nuts, just because his team wasn't built around his skillset to win in the playoffs doesn't diminish the fact that his impact footprint that season was the best in his career.

Btw Silky I think Moses would be a bad matchup for Yao. Moses' arsenal of moves with his derriere would be a death knell for Yao's high centre of gravity. I'd just go with Dave and Hakeem against Portland.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #219 on: September 06, 2019, 07:10:35 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
I'd give Hakeem the advantage over Moses. Scoring and rebounding are neutral but Hakeem has a big advantage as a team defender.
Only team defender? Imo Hakeem is miles ahead of Moses as a man defender as well, Moses was a decently strong individual defender but Hakeem was arguably a GOAT level defensive anchor in the class of guys like Russell and Wilt.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #220 on: September 06, 2019, 07:14:48 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Only team defender? Imo Hakeem is miles ahead of Moses as a man defender as well, Moses was a decently strong individual defender but Hakeem was arguably a GOAT level defensive anchor in the class of guys like Russell and Wilt.
Head-to-head = Moses can still score well on Hakeem. He was always very effective against Hakeem.

Moses was also very good defensively on smaller centers who relied on their quickness to create advantages. Moses was quick himself and as strong as an ox. He was very good defensively against quick and/or high post bigs.

« Reply #221 on: September 06, 2019, 07:15:24 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
Head-to-head = Moses can still score well on Hakeem. He was always very effective against Hakeem.
Oh for sure, was just talking about them as overall players.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #222 on: September 06, 2019, 07:20:52 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
The more I look at San Antonio the more I wonder if they have enough firepower in their starting lineup. It feels like they have less than most of the other teams in the league.

I think Bernard King needs to be in the starting unit instead of Bob Dandridge. Dandridge and DeBusschere together is relatively (to the rest of the league) lightweight offensively.

They need someone who can give them a little more punch. King can do that.

Edit: I loved the balance of Dandridge and DeBusschere but the more I look at the starting lineup versus the rest of the league, I just feel the team needs more ooomph offensively.

« Reply #223 on: September 06, 2019, 07:21:52 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald

Moses was also very good defensively on smaller centers who relied on their quickness to create advantages. Moses was quick himself and as strong as an ox. He was very good defensively against quick and/or high post bigs.
So he'd eat guys like Cowens and KG alive? Yikes. But regardless I don't think that Moses was a great defensive anchor by any means, aside from his stretch in Philly where he was surrounded by great defensive talent he really didn't play on an above average defense, and the tape I've watched didn't really make me disagree with what the stats say.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #224 on: September 06, 2019, 07:23:03 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
The more I look at San Antonio the more I wonder if they have enough firepower in their starting lineup. It feels like they have less than most of the other teams in the league.

I think Bernard King needs to be in the starting unit instead of Bob Dandridge. Dandridge and DeBusschere together is relatively (to the rest of the league) lightweight offensively.

They need someone who can give them a little more punch. King can do that.
Honestly they need more glue guys imo. Hakeem and Kobe really need to touch the ball a lot to be effective, and both of them firing on all cylinders is enough offense if you add some deadly snipers from deep.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA