Author Topic: Happy we kept our picks and took it slow With Robert Williams  (Read 9845 times)

Happy we kept our picks and took it slow With Robert Williams
« on: August 27, 2019, 07:49:12 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
Last year Robert needed a lifestyle coach ,he got to watch off the bench and learn the practice habits and NBA lifestyle.The Celtics have allowed an extra year in the weight room and working on his knees.
There is a misconception that the Red Claws played a part in his development only 4 games at 25 minutes a game but he averaged 15 points ,9.8 rebounds 2.6 blocks..
He watched Horford and Baynes and absorbed what he could all season.

Now he has a crew of young guys around him hard working , fun good guys.He is getting a chance to grow stronger he is really young for a big. Kanter should be a good teacher of back to the basket moves.

Waters has always played against big guys nothing new but on defense other stronger point guards could dominate.He will spend his time mostly with Red Claws.Sort of a Phil Pressey type of situation but these views are only from Summer League.
.I worry the most about Grant being a tweener with not much length and vertical and is in for an adjustment period.
.Carson is going to kill it.Strong legs and core and a proven shooter.Plus a 6-6 wingspan makes him deceptive in passing lanes.
Romeo a sort of the unknown quantity is young and coming off that injury .
« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 08:03:02 AM by rollie mass »

Re: Happy we kept our picks and took it slow With Robert Williams
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2019, 01:47:39 PM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
Like all Celtic Fans I am excited about all our rooks. If Williams makes a big jump that would surely moves us up the ladder in the East. Things sound positive for him. Romeo Has so much talent as well. I have read articles of people who saw him play before the Thumb he is incredible. We are looking great!
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2019, 04:14:55 PM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
I am not sold on Williams potential. hoping for the Best, but i would not be too surprised if he ends up like old friend JaJuan 

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2019, 04:28:55 PM »

Online libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 380
I am not sold on Williams potential. hoping for the Best, but i would not be too surprised if he ends up like old friend JaJuan
I'd say his POTENTIAL is off the charts.  Can he tap into that potential?  Well, that's the question.

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2019, 05:07:44 PM »

Online Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 982
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Can't say I'm exactly "happy" we kept our picks, way too early for that.  Like you say, rollie, we haven't seen much of Langford.  And, although I like Grant, Edwards and Waters, SL is not a real good indicator of future success.

That said, Edwards has the best chance to actually show something in his rookie year.  He will be called upon to do what he does best which is shoot, and in limited minutes.

G. Will is indeed a tweener, but he has the BBIQ, the work ethic and the skill to be better than many other tweeners that have come through the organization.

Waters I fear is simply too small.  Great BBIQ, passing and shooting, but he will get burned every time on the other end.

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2019, 05:44:39 PM »

Offline No Nickname

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 86
Can't say I'm exactly "happy" we kept our picks, way too early for that.  Like you say, rollie, we haven't seen much of Langford.  And, although I like Grant, Edwards and Waters, SL is not a real good indicator of future success.

That said, Edwards has the best chance to actually show something in his rookie year.  He will be called upon to do what he does best which is shoot, and in limited minutes.

G. Will is indeed a tweener, but he has the BBIQ, the work ethic and the skill to be better than many other tweeners that have come through the organization.

Waters I fear is simply too small.  Great BBIQ, passing and shooting, but he will get burned every time on the other end.

TP.  Totally agree.

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2019, 05:55:12 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
Last year Robert needed a lifestyle coach ,he got to watch off the bench and learn the practice habits and NBA lifestyle.The Celtics have allowed an extra year in the weight room and working on his knees.
There is a misconception that the Red Claws played a part in his development only 4 games at 25 minutes a game but he averaged 15 points ,9.8 rebounds 2.6 blocks..

Now he has a crew of young guys around him hard working , fun good guys.He is getting a chance to grow stronger he is really young for a big. Kanter should be a good teacher of back to the basket moves.

Waters has always played against big guys nothing new but on defense other stronger point guards could dominate.He will spend his time mostly with Red Claws.Sort of a Phil Pressey type of situation but these views are only from Summer League.
.I worry the most about Grant being a tweener with not much length and vertical and is in for an adjustment period.
.Carson is going to kill it.Strong legs and core and a proven shooter.Plus a 6-6 wingspan makes him deceptive in passing lanes.
How would you feel when Williams and other picks have to make room for the next batch of Celtics picks ? Like ainge will probably make 10 picks in the next 3 years. For what?
We were all excited with the fab melo, sully and rj hunter picks ... there is 15-20 other guys we were all excited since we started the rebuilt and they are all gone for nothing..

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2019, 08:09:17 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2673
  • bammokja

How would you feel when Williams and other picks have to make room for the next batch of Celtics picks ? Like ainge will probably make 10 picks in the next 3 years. For what?
We were all excited with the fab melo, sully and rj hunter picks ... there is 15-20 other guys we were all excited since we started the rebuilt and they are all gone for nothing..
missing in the draft at those spots is pretty common. and if it happens, then williams et al will NOT have to make room, will they?

also, you did not mention smart, tatum, or brown. maybe our picks turn out to be like them.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2019, 11:45:13 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
After last year having a batch of smart, fun kids that are excited being in Boston  . They have mixed so well together after having a very good summer league.
The Celtics.having 4 players at Team USA while here at home were seeing the rookies enjoying Boston sports ,helping kids and the community and that has been cathartic for me.
Romeo only 19, Grant Williams only 20,Carson Edwards 21,Tremont Waters 21 ,Robert Williams 21 ,Jason Tatum 21 , Jaylen Brown 22
Now that is a young young group and i am able to be a fan again.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 11:51:10 PM by rollie mass »

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2019, 02:21:23 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

He has already surpassed Jajuan.

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2019, 03:31:41 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279

THANK YOU!

Sully ...... "the steal".... the great potential ...the pick that dropped to us because the other gms had reservations about something. It reminds me of another recent pick. At least Sully had a very good rookie year   

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2019, 04:20:34 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

THANK YOU!

Sully ...... "the steal".... the great potential ...the pick that dropped to us because the other gms had reservations about something. It reminds me of another recent pick. At least Sully had a very good rookie year
Sully was seriously elite when he was at his best, he's part of the 20/20 club and was a double double machine lol.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 04:30:55 AM by Somebody »
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2019, 04:52:28 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279

THANK YOU!

Sully was seriously elite when he was at his best, he's part of the 20/20 club and was a double double machine lol.

He had injury and if i am not wrong work ethic and maturity concerns which caused his drop.
And as usual we (the fans i mean) ignored everything cause "the other gms are stupid and the kid has no flaws". Guess what .... They were all true!

I didn't mind gambling on him but ignoring signs just because we picked a him is plain stupid.

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2019, 06:18:16 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

THANK YOU!

He had injury and if i am not wrong work ethic and maturity concerns which caused his drop.
And as usual we (the fans i mean) ignored everything cause "the other gms are stupid and the kid has no flaws". Guess what .... They were all true!

I didn't mind gambling on him but ignoring signs just because we picked a him is plain stupid.
Getting three years of solid starting play is alright with me considering a) the player we took immediately after him was immeasurably worse and b) the only player taken after Sully in the 1st to play more games than him is Plumlee. Not a terrible pick.

But I agree with your general point, we do tend to overlook flaws
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2019, 08:03:03 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 890
It is hard to group all draft picks in the same category.  Smart, Brown, and Tatum are all high lottery picks.  You expect more from them and I think all have turned out pretty well.  I am excited to have them and able to watch them play.

The next tier is the Rozier, Langford, the more middle tier  You hope these guys turn out but you never know.   I don't expect to see all that much from Langford this coming season but that doesn't mean he won't turn out to be a good pick.

Then you have the later picks.  RWilliams, GWilliams, Edwards, and so on.  These guys usually don't amount to much but some will surprise.  It doesn't seem like there is much gradient between a late first round pick and a late second round pick.  If you get a guy like Ojeleye who sticks around and plays some role, that is considered good but you can't go into the season expecting all that much from this group.

Especially with rookies being so young now, you really have to give them a few years, which is hard based on how rosters are set up. As to the strategy or end result, I would not have wanted to trade them all away for one year of Leonard or Davis that is for sure.  The Celtics are just trying to make the best of it.  We are not in a bad place compared to many other teams.