Author Topic: C's haven't reached out to brown about extension yet  (Read 10873 times)

Re: C's haven't reached out to brown about extension yet
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2019, 08:51:35 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
J Murray 5/$170m?? Ouch.

I like Jaylen but I'd rather move him than give him anything close to that kind of money.

When did 3-4 tier players start becoming max guys?

Everyone is a max guy now it's annoying to say the least.
30 teams basically means there are 60 max contract slots.

So yeah a lot of guys who haven't gotten past borderline all-star level of play are going to get max deals.

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2019, 08:51:39 AM »

Offline Th3M2n

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 14
Based on what he has shown and produced so far he is ABSOLUTELY not worth the max.  Let’s see how he performs this year then evaluate what he is worth.

« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2019, 08:56:05 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1800
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
J Murray 5/$170m?? Ouch.

I like Jaylen but I'd rather move him than give him anything close to that kind of money.

Everyone is a max guy now it's annoying to say the least.

They wouldn't be if top level stars were actually allowed to be paid what they are worth...but then I guess the word 'max' might be a thing of the past. I agree, though, it's annoying, but necessary when teams are trying to poach very good players away from other teams.

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2019, 09:09:07 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
I d say its gonna cost Wyc a pretty penny to sign him. 

I think he would have several high paying suitors .

Thats why i think Westbrooke is in play here....i have this spidey tingle about all this

If it came to that I'd rather have Steven Adams. Heck. I'd rather have Wednesday Addams or any member of the Addams family....

We already have Lurch (Tacko).
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 09:43:14 AM by knuckleballer »

« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2019, 09:25:24 AM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
Brown is getting the max. The question is from which team.
Danny has no idea if jaylen is worth of a max deal.
He’s probably looking into trading options for jaylen.

We will have to keep in mind that in two years the free agent class will be almost as strong as it was this year so we need to keep 40-70% of our cap space open or we will be limited on what we can do while other teams jump in front of us scooping up talent

« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2019, 09:45:43 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 550
J Murray 5/$170m?? Ouch.

That's the going rate.  It's what Simmons has on the table in Philadelphia.  This is today's NBA for better or worse.  Teams have to take the plunge on guys who are incomplete talents.  If they're wrong, the player still gets paid and the team gets tons of cap space tied up.  Tough call coming up - which may be why Danny makes a pre-emptive move.  I hope not.  It think Brown may end up being worth locking up for a few more years.

« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2019, 09:46:27 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Would the Celtics have cap space next year if Hayward was to opt out?  How much of that would be gone if they extend Brown now vs.  cap hold next year? 

Play the games and keep the possible cap to use before using bird rights to sign Brown.

« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2019, 09:52:01 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Brown is getting the max. The question is from which team.
Danny has no idea if jaylen is worth of a max deal.
He’s probably looking into trading options for jaylen.

We will have to keep in mind that in two years the free agent class will be almost as strong as it was this year so we need to keep 40-70% of our cap space open or we will be limited on what we can do while other teams jump in front of us scooping up talent

Kemba, Tatum’s cap hold if he isn’t extended, and 10 cap holds for having only two players if we completely cleared out books will take up more than half our cap.  It’s pretty unlikely we’ll clear the books to that extent, and accordingly it’s rather unlikely that we’ll have max room.  Accordingly, if we convince a max free agent to join, it will likely be through a sign and trade.  This last 12 days has shown us that such deals are possible if you can convince the player to come, so Ainge should not worry about holding cap space.  If Brown is maxed and a star FA wants to come to Boston, Jaylen’s contract is unlikely to get in the way

« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2019, 09:59:54 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
Would the Celtics have cap space next year if Hayward was to opt out?  How much of that would be gone if they extend Brown now vs.  cap hold next year? 

Play the games and keep the possible cap to use before using bird rights to sign Brown.

They would likely have a number very near the MLE if Hayward opts out, so not enough to make it worth stringing Jaylen along.  If Hayward opts out AND you let Jaylen walk, you could do some things to get to a max, but is there anyone you’d like to max next summer?  It seems unlikely AD is an option.  You could probably pay Draymond Green a ton of money and get him here, but otherwise the top free agents are Kyle Lowry, Mike Conley, and a bunch of restricted free agents, Jaylen included.

« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2019, 10:04:47 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

They would likely have a number very near the MLE if Hayward opts out, so not enough to make it worth stringing Jaylen along.  If Hayward opts out AND you let Jaylen walk, you could do some things to get to a max, but is there anyone you’d like to max next summer?  It seems unlikely AD is an option.  You could probably pay Draymond Green a ton of money and get him here, but otherwise the top free agents are Kyle Lowry, Mike Conley, and a bunch of restricted free agents, Jaylen included.

But the Celtics could then make a trade taking back more money up to the MLE. 

« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2019, 10:07:53 AM »

Offline philr13

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 22
Getting a rookie extension doesn't mean getting a max contract. In fact, a rookie extension is only required to be 25% of max for that player. Brown's offer won't be that low, but it won't be anything like the offers to Simmons or Murray.

The trend among Celtics players (Smart, Rozier) has been to turn down the extension offer and become a restricted free-agent.

Brown may want to sign an extension however, rather than become a restricted free-agent in 2021. There will be a lot of elite unrestricted free agents that summer. He might be better off signing now rather than waiting.

« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2019, 10:11:28 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
J Murray 5/$170m?? Ouch.

Exactly.  Brown has to show me a lot more before I'd have any idea what to offer.  Right now?  I'd offer half that.

« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2019, 10:13:37 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

But the Celtics could then make a trade taking back more money up to the MLE.

Right, but that’s not exceptionally different from being able to make a mid-sized trade now and take back an extra $5 million.

« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2019, 10:19:00 AM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 293
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
I'd offer Brown 120/5. If he takes it fine, if not we have a year to see if we should match a max offer (which we probably have to).

« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2019, 10:20:25 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 401
Brown absolutely will get the max. I think the C’s would be burning bridges should they offer him less. It doesn’t matter if his skill set right now merits a max. He has enough potential and interest around the league to warrant it.

- LilRip