Author Topic: Is the East wide open now?  (Read 8887 times)

Re: Is the East wide open now?
« Reply #45 on: July 06, 2019, 11:29:47 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 561
Nobody wants that Westbrook contract.

not true necessarily

Teams like Piston, Heat only pathway to get a guy like RW is via trade

Heat could trade - KO, Waiters and another salary plus Tyler Herro and multiple 1sts
Pistons could trade - Doumbouya, multiple firsts and Drummond as starters

Heat can pair RW and Butler. Pistons Griffing with RW

Miami isn't a bad idea.  It makes some sense after going all-in on Butler.  That said, I wonder if Butler already has plans to partner with a disgruntled Superstar from another franchise.  Miami could easily pull off something next off-season.
Miami doesn't have the assets (missing 2021 unprotected, 2023 lottery protected picks).  They are also hard capped and won't be able take on much salary. 

« Reply #46 on: July 06, 2019, 11:37:19 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
I think it is.

We should all fear Giannis, who I expect will learn from last year and be even better, but its criminal what their front office has done. They subtracted shooting from that squad. They have the most dominating player in the league. What are they doing?

I also think Philly misplayed their hand with a very strange mix of talent that won't work together.

We need to get lucky with our bigs, but we might just come out of the east.

« Reply #47 on: July 06, 2019, 11:38:12 AM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
The Bucks and the Sixers look like the best East teams. Celtics 3rd.

The Celtics came out of the Leonard-George moves looking better. Mainly because Toronto got weaker.

In the West, it's the two LA teams and GS.

The most significant thing about these moves? The stars now control the League. They determine where they play, by free agency or trades. And they like to live in pairs.

« Reply #48 on: July 06, 2019, 11:48:03 AM »

Offline Jamilmac99

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 9
I think it is.

We should all fear Giannis, who I expect will learn from last year and be even better, but its criminal what their front office has done. They subtracted shooting from that squad. They have the most dominating player in the league. What are they doing?

I also think Philly misplayed their hand with a very strange mix of talent that won't work together.

Interesting that you think that about Philly and I’ve heard that theory floated around. I don’t see it that way. They have a monstrous defensive line up with devistating post players and some dynamic slashers as well. They can still add some shooting. Horford can shut down Antetokoumpo. I see Philly as the clear favorite coming out of the East and most likely more talented than anyone they’ll face from the Western Conference too.

« Reply #49 on: July 06, 2019, 12:00:42 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1397
I think it is.

Interesting that you think that about Philly and I’ve heard that theory floated around. I don’t see it that way. They have a monstrous defensive line up with devistating post players and some dynamic slashers as well. They can still add some shooting. Horford can shut down Antetokoumpo. I see Philly as the clear favorite coming out of the East and most likely more talented than anyone they’ll face from the Western Conference too.

I am really curious what Philly will look like. Reddick was such a huge part of what they did the last few years. Can they run a similar thing through Harris. Horford is a really good passer so that should help their offense. I am also curious how much they get from Horford the next few years. I reAlly wanted him back and will miss him, but he just about career low numbers across the board and only played 29 minutes a game. Does that go down further this year? On the flip side rich Rdson is a real wildcard and could really continue to improve a lot.

« Reply #50 on: July 06, 2019, 12:10:41 PM »

Offline alt

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 25
I predict Brad Stevens will have a very rough year with the kind of expectations people seem to have for this roster. This roster seems more constructed for a stealth tank  (lack of defense, passing, depth, shooting, rim protection, experience) than contention.

IMO the Bucks and the 76ers are well ahead of anyone else. The one team I can see surprising them is Indiana if Oladipo returns to his All-NBA form.

« Reply #51 on: July 06, 2019, 12:27:17 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 378
I predict Brad Stevens will have a very rough year with the kind of expectations people seem to have for this roster. This roster seems more constructed for a stealth tank  (lack of defense, passing, depth, shooting, rim protection, experience) than contention.

IMO the Bucks and the 76ers are well ahead of anyone else. The one team I can see surprising them is Indiana if Oladipo returns to his All-NBA form.

huh? reading this forum there are no expectations for the celtics....I think you are WAAAAY too pessimistic on the celtics.

you have Tatum/Brown who lead the team to the ECF just two years ago. Hayward a year removed from his injury who should have a good year(and who BTW is a really good passer) and now Kemba walker whom averaged 25ppg last year and a big who averaged a double double.

not sure how this team is built to tank. The roster is better than the Isaiah Thomas team that made it to the ECF just a couple years ago.

« Reply #52 on: July 06, 2019, 12:27:48 PM »

Offline Jamilmac99

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 9
The Celtics are a 43-45 win roster and a first round sacrificial lamb. This defensive team is atrocious. Expect around 115 ppg against.

« Reply #53 on: July 06, 2019, 12:35:08 PM »

Offline chiken

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 15
Celtics: All-Star Tatum & Walker, return to form Hayward (Potential to border All-Star) Brown Most improved player)... I think We are seriously underestimating what we can be.
I knew KL would be a clipper... The league has returned back to Everybody with Two amazing Cats and We have 3 possibly 4...

This is good... Really good...

No reason why the Celtics this year should not be on anyones East Tier 1. We have just as much Talent as anybody in the East.

« Reply #54 on: July 06, 2019, 12:35:33 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
I think it is.

I am really curious what Philly will look like. Reddick was such a huge part of what they did the last few years. Can they run a similar thing through Harris. Horford is a really good passer so that should help their offense. I am also curious how much they get from Horford the next few years. I reAlly wanted him back and will miss him, but he just about career low numbers across the board and only played 29 minutes a game. Does that go down further this year? On the flip side rich Rdson is a real wildcard and could really continue to improve a lot.

They do have a monstrous defensive line, but they will be slower than everyone.  Elite point guards like Kemba are going to carve them up. They have even less shooting and lost the only closer they have.

They could be great if Simmons takes a leap and Richardson and Harris have big shooting years. It could also go wrong fast. They don't have much on the bench either.

« Reply #55 on: July 06, 2019, 12:38:19 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1836
I think the addition of Al to 76ers will help them most when Embiid rests. They were pretty bad when he sat. I am skeptical that Al and Embiid will be able to play together a lot. Probably limited to starting games and finishing games. The loss of Butler is going to hurt them. He really let that team in the playoffs.  It is fair game to question the long term health of Embiid's knees, not to mention Al's health. They will both need a lot rest.

« Reply #56 on: July 06, 2019, 12:39:52 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 378
I think it is.

They do have a monstrous defensive line, but they will be slower than everyone.  Elite point guards like Kemba are going to carve them up. They have even less shooting and lost the only closer they have.

They could be great if Simmons takes a leap and Richardson and Harris have big shooting years. It could also go wrong fast. They don't have much on the bench either.

yeah, everyone is gushing about the addition of Horford...but is horford/richardson > Reddick/Jimmy Butler? to me it seems to be a downgrade.

3 point shooting was their achilles heel last season and they lost their best 3 point shooter.

why is there so much faith on this board that Simmons will take a jump to be a star...but so little faith that Tatum/Brown can improve?

« Reply #57 on: July 06, 2019, 12:40:51 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 561
I think it is.

Horford's numbers last season were pretty much the same as the previous 2 seasons.  He's never put up big numbers.  Horford and Embiid will be loaded managed during the regular season.  There's no reason to overplay them in the regular season even if it costs them a seed or two in the playoffs.  Richardson's progression over the 1st 4 seasons is almost Butler like.  Harris actually put up good numbers with the Sixers except for a large drop in 3pt shooting.  I expect he'll look significantly better without Butler.   

Redick is a bigger loss than Butler.  He and Embiid were joined at the hip.  I will be interested to see how much their offensive scheme changes.  They did run some DHO action with Harris.  I wonder if they'll try to use Richardson in the DHOs too.  Also if they get Korver (or maybe Bradley) he could run the same plays as Redick.     

« Reply #58 on: July 06, 2019, 12:42:10 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 4599
I think it is.

It will be interesting to see how Horford does and how Philly uses him.  He's played primarily Center for most of his career, but I believe I've read he prefers to play PF due to less physicality (who wouldn't).  So maybe sliding down to PF will help rejuvenate him a little.

But at the same time, most players move up a position as they age (SF to PF, PF to C, etc.), not down.  How well is 33+ year old Horford going to handle chasing quicker, faster, younger PF's and small ball 4's in more of a full time role?

Or will Philly stagger Embiid and Horford's minutes, so Horford is still playing primarily Center and maybe against the 2nd string?  Like start them both, but then sit Embiid after 6 minutes, then Embiid subs for Horford, Horford for Embiid, etc.

But if they don't stagger their minutes, how many possessions will we see (especially when Embiid gets tired) where him and Al are both hanging out at the 3 point line on offense?

If teams can still negate Simmons in the half court next year, will Philly use Al to run the offense like how they used Butler last year?  Who else do they have that can do that?  Could Harris do that?

Al's an interesting piece and can do so many things well, will be interesting to see how well he fits and how Philly uses him.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #59 on: July 06, 2019, 12:42:13 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
I would expect the Kawhi/PG move to trigger a number of additional trades too. This probably isn't over yet.