Author Topic: Rumor: Celtics reportedly trying to be 3rd team in 76ers/Rockets trade  (Read 16306 times)

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
Just can't see Ainge going for that. Brad doesn't value big men, he values the perimeter. And Smart is the heart and soul of the team. He's unquestionably the leader.

I think Vonleh or someone similar will come in, they might bring Theis back, and maybe the Frenchman that was posted the other day.

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
Marc Stein
@TheSteinLine

The Rockets believe they have a trade partner for Clint Capela but do not intend to deal Capela unless they are sure they can acquire marquee Sixers free agent Jimmy Butler, according to a source briefed on Houston's thinking

UGH, I have mixed feelings if this is the Celtics...

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1525
Marc Stein
@TheSteinLine

The Rockets believe they have a trade partner for Clint Capela but do not intend to deal Capela unless they are sure they can acquire marquee Sixers free agent Jimmy Butler, according to a source briefed on Houston's thinking

So is that quote describing (2) separate deals, or (1) three team deal?  It seems like (2) separate deals.

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I still just think this is far fetched as it requires the 76ers to cooperate, along with Jimmy forcing this issue, and having a 3rd team with cap space acting as the threat to force the whole situation.

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Marc Stein
@TheSteinLine

So is that quote describing (2) separate deals, or (1) three team deal?  It seems like (2) separate deals.

It would be processed as one deal, along with any other trades, but negotiated separately from the Butler deal.

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Marc Stein
@TheSteinLine

NBA trades are weird. It can be separate, simultaneous, or all one big trade.

Heck different sides of the same trade can consider them differently to give themselves the most advantageous situation.

AKA the Nets view the Celtics trade as one big one aggregating all the salary to make it legal. The Celtics viewed it as three separate smaller trades to maximize their TPEs.

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2524
Could we bribe Brooklyn into giving us a huge trade exception for Kyrie? That would certainly make any deal for someone like Capela a lot easier.

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
Could we bribe Brooklyn into giving us a huge trade exception for Kyrie? That would certainly make any deal for someone like Capela a lot easier.

I guess you could offer them first round picks. But then that would hard cap Brooklyn also, I believe? So I don't know if it would be worth it for them.

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 436
Get Capela and a backup like Lopez, Noel or Dedmon..add Walker..we are set!!!
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
We'd have to get Kemba in a sign and trade too then.

Just go full on and S&T EVERYONE

https://twitter.com/dangercart/status/1143871379944738817

Re: Rumor: Celtics reportedly trying to be 3rd team in 76ers/Rockets trade
« Reply #100 on: June 28, 2019, 03:38:40 PM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 503

I guess you could offer them first round picks. But then that would hard cap Brooklyn also, I believe? So I don't know if it would be worth it for them.

They are an under the cap team so won't they be hard capped no matter what?

« Reply #101 on: June 28, 2019, 03:43:22 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff

I meant that any team receiving a player via a S&T is hard-capped at what’s known as “the apron” for that season. The apron is a number about $6 million above the tax line, so both Brooklyn and Boston would be capped at about $138 million.

« Reply #102 on: June 28, 2019, 03:51:49 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2524

Even if the Nets sign KD and Kyrie they are nowhere near the tax apron, so I don't think that affect them. They should till be able to use the room exception etc.

Tho in regards to Capela only half of Kyrie's money would count in the sign and trade for a trade exception due to that stupid BYC rule. Is half of Kyries max enough to get Capela? Pretty sure it would come just short, as Capelas salary is $16.9M, and Kyries contgact would be $32.7M . So $16.35 is not enough to absorb Capela. :(

« Reply #103 on: June 28, 2019, 03:55:07 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

Only if they use the non-tax payer's mid level exception or the bi-annual exception.

Using cap space alone doesn't hard cap you.

« Reply #104 on: June 28, 2019, 03:55:58 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

I meant that any team receiving a player via a S&T is hard-capped at what’s known as “the apron” for that season. The apron is a number about $6 million above the tax line, so both Brooklyn and Boston would be capped at about $138 million.
They are hard capped only if they are operating as an above the cap team when they consummate the sign and trade.