Author Topic: I still am not ready to blow it up  (Read 3703 times)

Re: I still am not ready to blow it up
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2019, 05:12:32 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
I know, I know, if Al and Kyrie leave, we're not any kind of contender.  Yet, I am still of the mind that Tatum, Hayward, and Brown could form a good core to win now.  I would rather find a way to sign a good veteran with the money we have than try and flame out completely.

I want no part of the five year plan.

I think the long term plan was always to build around Tatum and Brown (at least Tatum).  You cannot underestimate the ability to keep your own players for nearly a decade.

Again I note that it is funny that people are complaining that a 33-year old Horford declined his $30M option and is leaving to give the Celtics max space again.  This is a great thing for them moving forward.

They will not be able to replace Kyrie's or Horford's production from last season, but if they can get 75% of that and Hayward/Tatum/Brown all play better with Kyrie gone...that could be a 50-win team again.

« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2019, 05:20:05 PM »

Online 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 381
I know, I know, if Al and Kyrie leave, we're not any kind of contender.  Yet, I am still of the mind that Tatum, Hayward, and Brown could form a good core to win now.  I would rather find a way to sign a good veteran with the money we have than try and flame out completely.

I think the long term plan was always to build around Tatum and Brown (at least Tatum).  You cannot underestimate the ability to keep your own players for nearly a decade.

Again I note that it is funny that people are complaining that a 33-year old Horford declined his $30M option and is leaving to give the Celtics max space again.  This is a great thing for them moving forward.

They will not be able to replace Kyrie's or Horford's production from last season, but if they can get 75% of that and Hayward/Tatum/Brown all play better with Kyrie gone...that could be a 50-win team again.

Agreed, plus this team will be FUN to watch again---I wanted to cancel my league pass, this past year...for the first time in over 30 years, I didn't watch some games. Awful product on the court--mostly due to everyone bowing to Kyrie.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2019, 05:21:24 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 947
What good would it do to blow it up? When we did so earlier this decade, we had four Brooklyn draft picks ahead of us. Now, we have one Memphis pick.

There's a long way to go.

Mike

« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2019, 05:22:53 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2673
  • bammokja
What does "blow it up" mean?

If it means tear down a potentially contending team, that's been done for us.  As soon as Kyrie started looking for greener pastures, our contending days were over.

If it means "full rebuild, trade everyone", I don't think that's ever been an option.  We have a lot of pieces in place.  Tatum, Brown, Smart.  Maybe Hayward, maybe Williams, maybe Rozier.

The only real question is, what do we do with the in-between guys?  Baynes, Morris, etc.  Do we keep them, or move them and hope for maximum flexibility?

I am all for moving the in between guys. Yabu is pointless. Mook isn't going to be happy here IMO. Rather develop Williams and the big they draft over Baynes taking up minutes.

agreed. keep developing JT, JB and MS, we do not need baynes or morris anymore. let younger draftees/players get that time now. but i do not want anymore draft picks that flame out. DA needs to move up and snag someone who can contribute now and COULD be a long term player if not traded for a bigger package later.

Would love to move up for Garland. Think he could be a real asset with this team.
he would be a nice addition. though i also like cody white, and he MIGHT be available around #9. which MIGHT allow ainge to trade up for him.

http://www.tankathon.com/players/coby-white
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2019, 05:25:51 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2673
  • bammokja

perhaps, but i would not mind this being a bridge year. bring in guys on one-year deals and build with the draft this year and with the memphis pick in 2021....we hope.  ;D

i loved horford, but having him play a lot of minutes at 35 years old, his health issues, and a max salary was not attractive.

ainge has a MO on such things. he sets a price for a player and will not budge beyond it. horford exceeded that price.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2019, 05:30:34 PM »

Offline GRADYCOLNON

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 26
I haven't heard any rumors about it, not since they were talking about it at the trade deadline. Vucevic, 28, would be a perfect fit if Al left.  I think money wise they would have space for him with new money under the cap if they renounce everyone.

This would reboot and wouldn't force them down into a rebuild. 

« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2019, 05:38:29 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 981
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I haven't heard any rumors about it, not since they were talking about it at the trade deadline. Vucevic, 28, would be a perfect fit if Al left.  I think money wise they would have space for him with new money under the cap if they renounce everyone.

Personally I would rather have Steven Adams who is a better defender, but Vucevic is a better offensive player so probably fits better with Brad's system.

« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2019, 05:42:20 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 715
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Chris Grenham

@chrisgrenham
 8m8 minutes ago
More
.@ShamsCharania on @SiriusXMNBA earlier today: "The Celtics are going to prioritize getting a center, maybe someone like (Nikola) Vucevic. ... They're fully operating under the belief that those two guys (Kyrie and Horford) are walking."

« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2019, 05:44:09 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2562
Some pretty bad luck for the C's over the last 18 months.  Hayward's horrible injury and Kyrie's season-ending injury messed up a year that could have been pretty interesting as a true building block for 2018-19.  Instead of building to a championship, the dynamics became messy and the team never recovered.

Kyrie becomes disgruntled; AD makes it clear he's not staying here; the C's lose just about every draft position coin flip; the Lakers win the 4th spot in the lottery (clearing the way for a better pitch for AD); Horford decides to leave and now the C's seem flat out gut-punched as they prepare for tomorrow night's draft.  A fli-flop of epic proportions and I don't know whether blowing it up or adding pieces is the better way to go. 

I am hoping for a miracle -- something no one expects.  That's all I've got.

« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2019, 05:44:55 PM »

Offline GRADYCOLNON

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 26

Personally I would rather have Steven Adams who is a better defender, but Vucevic is a better offensive player so probably fits better with Brad's system.
Vuc is a free agent so the Celtics have that. Plus it would be hard to trade for Adams' contract.

« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2019, 05:47:06 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1418
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Agreed, plus this team will be FUN to watch again---I wanted to cancel my league pass, this past year...for the first time in over 30 years, I didn't watch some games. Awful product on the court--mostly due to everyone bowing to Kyrie.

Funny enough, I'm pretty sure I'm not renewing my league pass for the upcoming season. I don't have a ton of interest in watching Tatum complain to the refs after every. single. play. or watching corpse-Gordon sulk because he's not Utah-Gordon anymore.

I'm over underdog teams.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2019, 05:58:49 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
Haven't we already blown it up? The only real veterans left are Baynes and Hayward. I could see them moving Baynes now that we aren't contenders if he asks.

« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2019, 06:09:36 PM »

Online ozgod

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1404
I don't understand some of the wrist slitting that's going on. Some people are finding it hard to deal with the shock that some players don't want to play here. Sure we're most likely losing Kyrie and Al. But talk of blowing it up because we're losing 2 players who don't think they can win here? When a year ago everyone was high on Jaylen, Jayson and Terry? When we have a vet in Hayward who should be better after a full offseason and who should be a tradable asset as an expiring at the end of the year?

Sure it sucks that there are players who rejected us and don't want to play here, but we're hardly in a position where we need to wring our hands and undergo a full rebuild. We have assets, maybe not to make a deal now but we're in a position to make a deal if something comes up. We can moan about how Danny never uses them but at least we have them, other teams don't. There's a lot of teams that would want to be in our position, not having to tear everything down.

I understand the championship or bust scenario in the NBA today but let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2019, 06:09:57 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Signing a mediocre player like Vucevic to a big contract would be a killer. Losing Kyrie and Al is already terrible enough.

I'd much rather give whatever cap space we have to D'Lo if Kyrie signs in Brooklyn. He's right on the same timeline as Tatum and Brown.

« Reply #44 on: June 20, 2019, 12:20:49 PM »

Online Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1622

right it was so painful the last 2 years huh? puhleeeeeeeeeeeeze. yeah you won't be claiming fun when we are not winning jack or being bounced in 1st round of playoffs.
LET'S GO CELTICS!