Author Topic: Hard times reading the ol' Cblog  (Read 5433 times)

Re: Hard times reading the ol' Cblog
« Reply #45 on: December 30, 2016, 01:09:50 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Tommy Heinsohn
  • Tommy Points: 2742
i don't think yesterday's loss is worth an overreaction, we were facing a very good and elite team. Defending champions with 3 superstars who can score at will and that exactly happened yesterday night. Started with Love hitting all his 3s and 2 posts, then Kyrie took over, then LeBron just had an amazing all around game throughout all 4 quarters. Kyrie was limping and both him and LeBron HAVE to play 40+ minutes in order to get this win. This Celtics team is all heart and grit, and we are just missing talent. I still do not think we are an elite team compare to CLE and GSW. Though I do wish Stevens did something similar like his first year when Rondo was still here. I am talking about the Dallas game where we were down 20 points and stormed back with Rondo still on the bench. I personally felt that Stevens should've done that yesterday with Smart/Zeller/Green/Brown playing so well that made the comeback happen.

I'm just asking myself... Why are people quick to play the 'haters get out' card after valid criticisms are made. You would think Stevens won a championship, or developed a prospect into a star, or anything that entitles him to never be questioned.

Good point.

This blog has devolved into a majority of posters, many in love with the current state of the team, who demand everyone agree with them. Dissent is no longer welcome here.

TP. A discussion should go both ways because that's how we find a healthy medium when evaluating our C's.

The early attraction I had to this blog was the serious - about even parts praise and criticism - discussion of the state of the Celtics.

Some of the game threads in the Big 3 era were outstanding, full of top-level professional basketball analysis - of the good and the bad.

That's gone now, giving way to the elevation to stardom of players no one has seen except on video clips - Zicic the latest example, but hardly the only one. Bender is another example from the draft.

Now, the majority of threads are "I love everything about this team" and agree with me, or I'm going to personally attack you - something the moderators didn't used to allow when the discussions were at a higher level.

I think there has to be a balance both ways though. Criticizing the team and management should always be fair game. Nobody is flawless and Ainge and Stevens certainly made mistakes. They also made some excellent moves too. Ignoring one side of it and focusing on the negatives doesnt help any more than ignoring the negatives and saying everything is great does.

I agree that some people tend to jump to conclusions on certain topics, including unknown prospects, and criticize people if anyone suggests anything to the contrary. That is not conducive to a good discussion. For example, Thon Maker and Dante Exum were legendary from video clips long before their drafts. Zizic is getting there too lately. It is obvious Zizic was drafted because of his draft and stash status and our abundance of picks and lack of roster spots. He was also not Ainge's 1st choice there. It was Juancho Hernangomez 1st, Yabusele 2nd, and Zizic 3d on his list from all reports. Calling Zizic our future savior for our big man need is absurd. Still, I am glad Ainge actually drafted a center, and Zizic has shown some promise thus far in weaker leagues. Its reasonable to have some optimism for him, but at the same time some patience and toned down, reasonable expectations.

Bender is another example. Some people deemed him the next Porzingis/Dirk and that we would regret not taking him. That's totally unreasonable. Most experts said he is 2-3 years away from contributing, is very raw, and was intriguing for his potential and size. Then this raw, 2-3 years away young kid comes in and doesnt play much the 1st part of the season and people call him a bust and others say he is the 'euromistake'. Comments like that are also absurd. The truth is it is early on in this kid's career and we reasonably dont know how good or bad he will end up being, he has shown some signs of his potential and some of the flaws as well. Same goes for Jaylen Brown. 

Re: Hard times reading the ol' Cblog
« Reply #46 on: January 01, 2017, 10:47:59 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I mis lb
Not me.  Now we have more different opinions, not just one side vs another.  And more stuff about the Celtics, less stuff about the Sixers.  And not many posters quoting their own posts that were made in the past like they are important evidence.
lol