Author Topic: Jimmy Butler asking price to be high ( Rumor)  (Read 3902 times)

Re: Jimmy Butler asking price to be high ( Rumor)
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2016, 08:14:17 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Bulls team source about the asking price for Butler: "'Cheap.  Like dirt cheap.  You could probably take your 3 least favorite players and we'll take them as long as the salaries match.  We're just ready to be done with the whole thing to be honest"

I mean, what are they supposed to say?  Of course they want the stars and moon, until they don't.

If that's the case, I almost hope that we don't get a top-2 pick and just trade the third pick or lower for him. At least that way you don't have to choose between Butler and Ingram/Simmons, which isn't all that clear.

Of course, having the highest pick possible also gives us the most options and flexibility. I'm just afraid that if we luck out and get the number one pick we won't trade it for anything, even a great deal for a Cousins or George type.

I think the allure of a potential superstar on a cost-controlled deal followed by a FA-controlled 2nd deal is too powerful for a team to be willing to send them away easily, especially if you have to sweeten it with actual established core players.  (premise not valid for LeBron coming to town).

It will really, really depend on what the front office thinks of Simmons (or Ingram) as a prospect though.  EDIT:  And how confident we are that the guy we trade them for is the first domino leading to Durant signing with us.  Major X factor.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 08:28:30 PM by foulweatherfan »

« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2016, 08:20:02 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2993
If we got the second pick and Simmons was gone, I'd do Bradley + 2nd/Ingram + Dallas for him.  I'd give up Bradley because he just became redundant and I'd give up Dallas because we don't have the space for that pick, anyways.  Ingram is a lot to give up, but it should be fine.

What is troubling though is that nobody on our team could still shoot.  We need shooters so bad

Saying Bradley becomes redundant, then saying the team needs shooters doesn't make sense.  Replacing Bradley with Butler creates the same spacing issues we saw in the playoffs.  Bringing in Al Horford and starting Jerebko next to him would compensate for having Butler and Crowder on the floor together.

I see Crowder and Butler as ultimately redundant

If you see them as redundant, then why would you trade one plus a top 3 pick plus other picks and players for the other?

I maintain my position:  I would rather sign Horford with our cap space, keep our top 3 pick, and roll with the team we already have, vs. trading for Butler.

As in Crowder is Butler-lite. Butler does everything that Crowder does, just a bit better. And like it or not, he has star appeal that Crowder just doesn't have.

« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2016, 08:41:07 PM »

Offline inverselock

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 44
If we got the second pick and Simmons was gone, I'd do Bradley + 2nd/Ingram + Dallas for him.  I'd give up Bradley because he just became redundant and I'd give up Dallas because we don't have the space for that pick, anyways.  Ingram is a lot to give up, but it should be fine.

What is troubling though is that nobody on our team could still shoot.  We need shooters so bad

Saying Bradley becomes redundant, then saying the team needs shooters doesn't make sense.  Replacing Bradley with Butler creates the same spacing issues we saw in the playoffs.  Bringing in Al Horford and starting Jerebko next to him would compensate for having Butler and Crowder on the floor together.

If you see them as redundant, then why would you trade one plus a top 3 pick plus other picks and players for the other?

I maintain my position:  I would rather sign Horford with our cap space, keep our top 3 pick, and roll with the team we already have, vs. trading for Butler.

As in Crowder is Butler-lite. Butler does everything that Crowder does, just a bit better. And like it or not, he has star appeal that Crowder just doesn't have.

Butler can handle the ball and create.    Crowder's game is catch & shoot, straight line drives.   They would work well together.

« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2016, 09:27:42 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

Butler can handle the ball and create.    Crowder's game is catch & shoot, straight line drives.   They would work well together.

Two wings who hit less than a third of their threes in their career seems like it might have some floor spacing issues.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2016, 09:31:27 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196

Two wings who hit less than a third of their threes in their career seems like it might have some floor spacing issues.

IT and KD would help , if we can convince him

IT
Butler
Crowder
KD
Horford?

If Butler and Crowder can shoot around 33% from 3 , there is more than enough shooting in that starting 5

« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2016, 09:35:09 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
Durant's not coming to Boston to play the 4.

« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2016, 09:36:53 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
Durant's not coming to Boston to play the 4.

you can play him at the 3 to start , just start jerebko at the 4 , adds another shooter . Then crowder comes in and moves KD to the 4 for stretches.

« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2016, 09:42:38 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
They say a top 3 pick+one NBA starter.

BRK pick + Avery Bradley+Hunter+Rozier+ C's pick.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2016, 09:45:59 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
This post at Blog a Bull suggests that part of problem in Chicago is that Butler has been resistant to Fred Hoiberg's attempts to install a "pace and space" offense.  If this is true, do we trust that Stevens is a better coach than Hoiberg and can get Butler to buy in to a system that presumably has similar principles?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2016, 09:50:10 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
This post at Blog a Bull suggests that part of problem in Chicago is that Butler has been resistant to Fred Hoiberg's attempts to install a "pace and space" offense.  If this is true, do we trust that Stevens is a better coach than Hoiberg and can get Butler to buy in to a system that presumably has similar principles?

Yes.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2016, 09:51:27 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324

Good point. The issues he's had in the locker room have scared me a little actually
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2016, 09:53:14 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2016, 09:58:04 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352

Systems are largely dependent on personnel. Seems that a lot of Bulls fans there think Hoiberg's desire for pace ("just go fast!") is a poor fit for their roster, and that Butler felt the same way.

If Boston's personnel allows for greater success in a pace and space offense, I'm sure Butler will buy in. Winning cures all ills.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 10:03:27 PM by Lucky17 »
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #43 on: May 04, 2016, 10:27:15 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
Obviously the asking price will be high. Danny's initial offer will be low. The question is: who budges?