Author Topic: Do the Bucks bite?  (Read 4805 times)

Re: Do the Bucks bite?
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2016, 08:59:38 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
To be honest, I would be the one who wouldn't bite on that one.

* Crowder is far better right now than Parker, and IMHO has at least as much upside
* Smart, Thomas and Bradley IMHO are all much better players than Michael Carter-Williams

I do like Monroe a lot though, and given his circumstances (young, good value long term deal) I'd be willing to give up a pretty decent amount to get him. 

I do think we could get Monroe without having to give up the Brooklyn 2016 pick though.  I'd offer Sully (solid fit next to Henson), Lee (cap relief and salary filler), Young (sweetener), the 2018 Brooklyn pick and the 2016 Mavericks pick.

I think that's a pretty fair deal for both teams.  We get to add Monroe (would upgrade our team in a MASSIVE way) and keep the 2016 Brooklyn pick.  The Bucks get a pretty nice return in that they get a replacement for Monroe (Sully), about $12m in cap relief next year, a young prospect with perceived upside (Young) and two picks with legit value. 

I think Sully actually fits their team quite well, as it allows them to develop their front line of the future (Parker/Giannis/Henson) and bring Sully off the bench as a very productive 6th man...or they can go with Giannis/Sully/Henson (which is a pretty nice lineup) and bring Parker off the bench.  Gives them quite a bit of flexibility, and a very talented young core. 

« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 09:05:36 PM by crimson_stallion »

« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2016, 11:21:20 AM »

Offline dmopower

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 46
Surround him with 4 shooters and him down-low and watch out. With the perimeter D that we have, CBS coaching him up  to improve his switching on D (with his great foot-work clearly on display in his offensive game, so he has the physical tools to do it) which is his greatest problem now and a critical skill needed to play for us, he'll be a substantial net positive for us.

This paragraph could mostly be applied to David Lee.  I'm not convinced that Greg Monroe works out significantly better than Lee.  I could buy Monroe if he's more like the third option on offense, but you're not going to build a legitimate title contender if someone like Monroe is the focus of your offense.

I don't think that we are that far off in our opinions here. Nice comparison to D Lee, TP, hadn't really thought of that....but, the qualifier I would add would be (DLee) "in his prime." And THAT DLee, could be our co-2nd option on O with IT depending on match-ups and circumstances, like a 2A and 2B.

Here's some excellent insight into Monroe from the thread the other day on Monroe. It is offered by a poster that I view as I do you, analytical and knowledgeable.
 I suppose two people could read this and come away with differing opinions as to whether we should take a chance on Monroe or not, because it talks about both his +s and -s, but I thought that it was balanced and thorough and hence worth sharing:

I'm in a fantasy league (Plug to DKCLeague, always looking for new members) where i have a lot invested in Monroe. I watched him a lot on the Pistons, I've watched probably 15 or so of his games this year.

What i think, is that Monroe is not a leader. He's not a guy who can call out defensive sets. He's a frontrunner, where he plays about as well as his team is playing. He demands (and deserves, usually) the ball regardless, but when the team is down, emotionally, not necessarily score-wise, Monroe does not run hard, he does not rotate on defense, he points fingers when there are blown assignments on the wing that he can't cover.

When they're losing, looking at Monroe is easy as a part of the problem, because he is. He can't be a defensive anchor in a lineup of flawed defenders, and resents when guys who aren't good defenders let their guy blow by them. He starts looking at the refs after every missed shot, or turnover. He is kind of a wet blanket when things are down, if that makes sense.

He's also obviously the Bucks best player when the team is engaged. He offers something only 3 or 4 other centers in the NBA can offer, in that you can legit run your offense through him. He doesn't have gaudy assist numbers, because he makes the pass that makes the pass. Think Marc Gasol level passing. Monroe could offer that. He also is kind of unstoppable in the post if the rest of the defense is being kept honest. Think of the best defensive center in the NBA. Greg Monroe can score on them. He's also been an elite rebounder in the past, and I'm sure he can be one again. He's only a pretty good rebounder for the position now.

Greg Monroe is a lot like a gifted but somewhat lazy teenager. He can surprise you when you put him in a position to succeed. He has a problem with self-motivation, he needs a team around him that is motivated. He likes to think he's important, but if you ask him to handle too much, you're going to be disappointed. He thinks he's 'the man', but is terrified of really embracing the role, and would rather someone else did it. He likes to be a part of something that is excited, if you put him on a team with a strong coach, with motivated teammates who have bought in, he'll fall in line. If he's on a team that is a bit rudderless, well...you'll go nowhere.

Sounds like we're a good match (Monroe and the current engaged, exciting, ball moving, defensive minded Cs). But I could see why others might think not. Monroe's game would greatly improve because of our team, and I think that our team would benefit from his skills and value.

I also have Monroe on my fantasy team. I completly agree with this assesment of Monroe.  he does not get a lot of blocks but he does take 2 charges a game and Ill take a charge over a block any day at it puts people in foul trouble.  Playing on our team with the players we are to keep Monroe would make the Allstar game.  He is that good of a fit.  His help post D isnt great but it's better than Sully and we are giving teams fits now.  And like was mentioned we have the shooters to keep D's honist and defenders that very much stay in front of their man. The chemistry would be amazing.
blind optimist or GENIUS

« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2016, 11:22:54 AM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33
Not even a nibble.

But probably a laugh...