Author Topic: 2014 draft darkhorse prospect: Chris Walker  (Read 6679 times)

Re: 2014 draft darkhorse prospect: Chris Walker
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2014, 04:19:19 PM »

Offline Mencius

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
He's quite a physical specimen.  Sure has as load of natural talent.  Just raw physical ability-wise, reminds me of a young Shawn Kemp.  Know nothing about the guy other than the vids I've seen.  He's intriguing.

Why was he ineligible this year?  Was it simply grades, or are there character issues, or what?

Taking a gamble on a guy with physical gifts can really pay off sometimes.  Lance Stephenson comes to mind.  Of course, there are too many counterexamples to list, too.

According to this article, he became academically eligible more than a month ago, but there is an ongoing investigation into a "pre-enrollment eligibility issue".
Thanks, I was too lazy to look it up.  And thanks for not giving me one of those Let Me Google That For You things.

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2014, 04:22:22 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Walker did really well, better than Selden and Aaron Gordon.

That is not saying much neither is a real lottery talent.  Mocks have Gooden in 20s and Selden undrafted.

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2014, 04:34:46 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RQtrN4LB98

What do you guys think of this kid? Suppose to be like a Chris Bosh. He is all over the mock charts and he hasn't even played one college game yet. (eligibility/academic reasons)

But from the clip above, he clearly demonstrates the raw physical tools (6'9, decent strength, 7'2-7'3 wingspan, high vert leap, quick) and some nice looking skills (handle, different ways to finish, passing)

If we missed out on the top 5 I can see Danny taking a risk on a guy like this.  He pretty much takes a risk in most drafts

addition: Stats from Jordan Classic game (all the top HS players)

http://www.jordanbrandclassic.com/images/stories/docs/2013/NationalBoxScore2013.pdf

He's definitely a wild card.  We all know how Ainge likes his HS phenoms.

I'd add another guy to the darkhorse list, Kyle Anderson.  The game comes so easy to him.  Typical Ainge pick.

and who knows maybe thats our 2 picks, Walker and Anderson come draft day. I will be excited to see what happens from there

The main issue Walker will have becoming a celtic is that Stevens has openly said he likes to acquire players who have finished at least a few years of school. But it might be too tempting for Ainge to pass up on this kid

Ainge has a history of taking risks and draft HS players. Three of them panning out already in Al Jefferson, Bradley, Gerald Green.

The challenge with Walker bc it looks like he will not play this year , is to be patient with him and maybe have learn the ropes in the d league. 

Kyle Anderson is going to be a good player in the nba. Maybe not a starter, but he is going to make damage somehow. Just has too much skills and height not be able to. Defense is a concern

Another darkhorse and has been for the last few years is Doug Mcdermott. He plays with extreme confidence and doesn't let a few misses get him down. He can really shoot the ball.  He is definitely the next Kyle Korver in the making. And if you got a team full of athletic very good defensive players, you can afford to have a kyle korver. As of now we don't have such a team, so if we get DM, he would have to come off the bench.

I think you nailed the key word with Ainge & his drafts....risk.

Ainge wants the home run, not the single up the middle.  Whether its a falling Gerald Green, a banged up Avery Bradley (ankle) who slides on draft day, doubling down on guards Tony Allen and Delonte West (Ainge got crucified for selecting 2 guards back to back), or bad back Jared Sullinger....Ainge will take a risk in any draft.

It won't surprise me at all if Ainge takes someone mocked all throughout the summer in the 20's with his lotto pick.  7-14 that is....I think we all know the top 6 will probably go as planned, although 1 or 2 usually slide.

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2014, 05:36:05 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

That is not saying much neither is a real lottery talent.  Mocks have Gooden in 20s and Selden undrafted.

well then . how about he did as good as wiggins, parker in that game

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2014, 04:47:18 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
if he's still eligible for college ball after this year (unsure of the eligibility status issues surrounding him at the moment), he'd be smart to stay in another year, prove his talent (assuming he's that good) and be a sure high pick next year. 

I think of Ricky Ledo when I hear about this kid.  Ledo had eligibility issues and jumped into the draft without playing any college ball at the urging of bad counseling (his family) and I think it seriously cost him in terms of draft position and  thus, his career.