Author Topic: Unappealing (hence undervalued) Trade Targets Discussion  (Read 15234 times)

Re: Unappealing (hence undervalued) Trade Targets Discussion
« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2014, 12:42:14 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 442
Yeah, let's pay $11mil per year for a guy who is averaging 6pts and 6rebounds.  43% field goal percentage and 44% free throw percentage.  Awesome!

This guy is not in the same ballpark as Cousins.  Even if he were a model teammate, he's still not worth anything close to $11mil.
Larry Sanders entire value is on defense, his problem hasn't been his rebounding per se its his fouling. He can't stay on the court to have his defensive impact. When he's on the court this year he's still been really good on that end.

Offensively on the other hand bleh.
Yeah, I realize he has defensive ability but I just don't think it's close to an $11million dollar per year package.

You do realize that most elite defensive players, of whom Sanders is the youngest, make right around that?

Perkins makes only a little less than that (from a cap perspective), and his form of defensive prowess is fast fading from the NBA and significantly less valuable--post D.

His co-hort, Serge Ibaka, makes more than Sanders for doing the same thing that Sanders does--protecting the rim.

Also, for what it's worth, if Sanders could ever stay on the court he should average right around a double double with points and rebounds.
Perkins is grossly overpaid and Ibaka is a far more well rounded player than Sanders.

« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2014, 12:47:17 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
^^^I know I'm beating a dead horse, but I'd still rather make a trade for Asik over Sanders.

Significantly less risk in my eyes contract wise and behavior wise. I also think he would cost significantly less.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2014, 12:50:54 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
^^^I know I'm beating a dead horse, but I'd still rather make a trade for Asik over Sanders.

Significantly less risk in my eyes contract wise and behavior wise. I also think he would cost significantly less.

I'd agree.  Plus I think he's a better fit for the team as is.  Whether he's playing with Sullinger, Bass, Humphries, or Olynyk.

Sanders is the better shot blocker, but that's about the only things he's better at.

« Reply #48 on: January 20, 2014, 01:09:53 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2673
  • bammokja

I'd agree.  Plus I think he's a better fit for the team as is.  Whether he's playing with Sullinger, Bass, Humphries, or Olynyk.

Sanders is the better shot blocker, but that's about the only things he's better at.

well, that and being younger. sanders is 2 years and 4 months younger than asik.  that is, sanders is 25, asik is 27. not a big deal, but a factor nonetheless.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2014, 01:22:19 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1562

I doubt he costs less, in fact I think he costs more on his next contract.  I mean the contract he is on averaged around 8.5 million for the three years, he will be looking for a hefty raise on that.  Sanders (after this year) is 11 million for each of the next 4 years.  I believe Asik will make more than that for the last 3 years if not beyond.

As for his play, much of Sanders' problems this year are a result of his injury.  He just hasn't rounded back into form yet.  And I do realize Sanders injured himself, but he is still injured (the attitude is a problem, but it isn't like Asik is a saint in the attitude department either).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #50 on: January 20, 2014, 01:29:19 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Yeah, let's pay $11mil per year for a guy who is averaging 6pts and 6rebounds.  43% field goal percentage and 44% free throw percentage.  Awesome!

This guy is not in the same ballpark as Cousins.  Even if he were a model teammate, he's still not worth anything close to $11mil.
Larry Sanders entire value is on defense, his problem hasn't been his rebounding per se its his fouling. He can't stay on the court to have his defensive impact. When he's on the court this year he's still been really good on that end.

Offensively on the other hand bleh.
Yeah, I realize he has defensive ability but I just don't think it's close to an $11million dollar per year package.

You do realize that most elite defensive players, of whom Sanders is the youngest, make right around that?

Perkins makes only a little less than that (from a cap perspective), and his form of defensive prowess is fast fading from the NBA and significantly less valuable--post D.

His co-hort, Serge Ibaka, makes more than Sanders for doing the same thing that Sanders does--protecting the rim.

Also, for what it's worth, if Sanders could ever stay on the court he should average right around a double double with points and rebounds.
Perkins is grossly overpaid and Ibaka is a far more well rounded player than Sanders.

Perkins is grossly overpaid now, but the other motivating factor in the Green-Perkins trade was that Danny was never going to pay him his ~4 years/40 million that someone was going to get because that's the going rate for solid defensive bigmen.

Ibaka is more well-rounded, but don't get it twisted-- he's not getting paid to occasionally knock down a wide open 20 foot jumper.

I doubt he costs less, in fact I think he costs more on his next contract.  I mean the contract he is on averaged around 8.5 million for the three years, he will be looking for a hefty raise on that.  Sanders (after this year) is 11 million for each of the next 4 years.  I believe Asik will make more than that for the last 3 years if not beyond.

As for his play, much of Sanders' problems this year are a result of his injury.  He just hasn't rounded back into form yet.  And I do realize Sanders injured himself, but he is still injured (the attitude is a problem, but it isn't like Asik is a saint in the attitude department either).

Agreed.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #51 on: January 20, 2014, 07:30:38 PM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280

And Asik also potentially costs more relatively from a trade standpoint. Morey's asking price (imo) is ridiculous. I think everyone here acknowledges Sanders's upside is higher considering his age and his talent.

A malcontent Sanders might possibly be going for under market value while all signs point to Asik being overvalued by Morey at this point.

Although for Sanders it's mostly unfounded speculation so who knows. But for the right price, I'd be a very happy camper if we got Sanders.