Author Topic: Bass Should Start  (Read 6632 times)

Re: Bass Should Start
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2012, 12:36:58 PM »

Online snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
Brandon Bass is not a starter on an NBA championship team.

Is Sully? I don't know. But Brandon Bass absolutely is not.

Completely untrue.  If the Lakers can win championships (plural) with Derek freaking Fisher, we can win with Bass.  Bass is a great role player.  I thought last year he would have been better off the bench behind KG at the 4, but now it's apparent he's earned a starting role.

At the end of the day this team will live or die by Rondo's production.  Bass works with Rondo a heck of a lot better on offense and is a heck of a lot better on defense than Sully.  Doc expressed last year how it was the first time in the KG era that we could rotate the 3-4 on pick and rolls thanks to Bass.  Our pick and roll defense is the bread and butter that makes our defense great.

Bass' mid-range jumper is a very nice weapon to pair with Rondo, and his defensive speed is great, but you are leaving out the powerful arguments in Sully's favor: rebounding, good hands, passing ability and decision making. 

The combination of Bass and KG is incredibly weak on the offensive boards - it's a big reason why our offense was so poor last year (along with non-existent bench offense and lack of foul-drawing).  And it's not like Bass was lighting it on fire offensively.  His mid-range game was automatic to be sure, but he didn't do all that well outside of the pick and pop game and finished with a mediocre 52TS%, while not contributing much of anything as a passer or playmaker.

Sully's a pretty good bet to offer a more balanced mix of inside and outside scoring ability, with better rebounding and better passing/decision making.  That he can actually catch hot passes from Rondo is another offensive argument in his favor.

Finally, the best way to get Sully's much-needed offensive contributions without crippling the team defensively is pairing him with KG and the best way to do that on the 5-5-5 plan is by starting him and finishing with him (that'll get him to 20mpg with KG).

Then you run with Bass/Wilcox or Bass/Darko off the bench.  There Bass can run pick and pop with JET, or face-up weak bench 4s and attack off the dribble (a strong aspect of his game that he didn't go to as much last year because he was the designated floor spacer).
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2012, 01:08:22 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
You just arent familiar with his full skillset. Dleague? Ha.

I am familiar with his skillset.  I want him to expand from a decent college 3pt shot to a legitimate NBA 3-point shot that can't be left unguarded behind the line.  I crave a 3pt shooting big more than I want solid post-up offense.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2012, 01:09:23 PM »

Offline celtics2

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 42
Start Sully but watch his minutes. Rookie's fade away in an NBA Season. We want him fresh for the Playoffs. Usually Rookie's don't start unless exceptional but with Sully it looks like he's a 2nd or 3rd year man already. Very Basketball mature and he's got that College defensive fire of being a relentless opponent.