Author Topic: He said what? I'm done with John Lackey. Trade him for peanuts already  (Read 6471 times)

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/john-lackey-boston-fried-chicken-beer-controversy-retarded-133955496.html

Was there ever even a honeymoon period with this guy? Feel free to move this to current events if needed since it involves some political correctness, but this guy makes me sick.

thank you. I feel slightly better now.

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
I don't like John Lackey, not because he ate chicken or drank beer in the club house, but because he just isn't a very good pitcher and he's way over paid.

But the story is over blown.

I promise you, drinking beer and eating chicken did not cause the entire team to lose the way they did in September.

It didn't cause Terry to lose the clubhouse.

There were other factors that led up to that horrific end.

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
I think you're being oversensitive.  He sounded mad at the line of questions and used a bad word.

That said...Every report on Lackey was positive coming into the signing.  I saw him pitch a couple of times when he was in the minors.  Even though his team was visiting, he was out there signing the whole time.  He's hard to miss.  Very big guy.  

Hope he recovers and gets back to his Angel's form for the last 2 years of the contract.

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
I'm not going to go all Thought Police on Lackey. What I am going to say is he's whiny, overpaid, spoiled, bratty, pitcher who doesn't get the job done and then goes off and uses language I don't want to use or my kid.

If you're going to be like that at least win, but he can't even do that. I'm not going to go all Tebow on you here. But I am going to say he doesn't deserve to be on the Red Sox and Red Sox fans don't deserve Lackey. Give him some cheap wine, some french cheese, a tiny violin, and when he turns around kick him.

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
I have made my thoughts on the use of the the word "retarded" well known here in the past, doesnt really surprise me that a guy like him would just toss it out there during an interview.  Class act.
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
I have made my thoughts on the use of the the word "retarded" well known here in the past, doesnt really surprise me that a guy like him would just toss it out there during an interview.  Class act.
i know really. Big tough athlete has to say that. Maybe he could have just said "That's a crippled, ugly, cancer kid question."

exact same thing

Offline CeltsAcumen

• NCE
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 33
I have no interest in defending John Lackey, but please stop promoting the exclusion of words bc one of the definitions can be linked to abusive behavior.

Retarded has many, many definitions and curtailing its use even when someone as stupid as John Lackey uses it in an offensive context, takes away from the real issue, John Lackey is a dumbass.

Political correctness can do just as much harm as its supposedly stops.

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
I'm not saying we should exclude the word from the dictionary, but if we aren't going to be politically correct then maybe we should be correct in our usage of the English language? I seriously doubt the question was asked at a slow speed, right?

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
I have no interest in defending John Lackey, but please stop promoting the exclusion of words bc one of the definitions can be linked to abusive behavior.

Retarded has many, many definitions and curtailing its use even when someone as stupid as John Lackey uses it in an offensive context, takes away from the real issue, John Lackey is a dumbass.

Political correctness can do just as much harm as its supposedly stops.

Well put.

Wow....
If I had to correct every word that annoyed me I'd never have a conversation.

-umbuntu
-eclectic
-synergy
(I hate words that have no meaning...or any meaning like the 3 above)
-----------------
-Any hyphonated-American.  We are all Americans.  I hate categorizing.
-draconian
-anything that ends in phobic
among many other words.
----------------------------

Last but not least...I will NEVER buy Geico insurance...Even if it's free.  That freaking lizard's fake accent voice is worse than fingernails on a chalkboard.

------------------------

I think Lackey probably got annoyed when Shawnessey asked him a question he's probably been asked 450 different ways and momentarily snapped.  I'm sure he'll be implored to make some kind of politically correct apology....(I'm sorry if what I said offended anybody)

Offline boom

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 26
Context and meaning people. Language isn't static.