Author Topic: How bright is the Celtics future with Rondo/Jeff Green?  (Read 12620 times)

Re: How bright is the Celtics future with Rondo/Jeff Green?
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2011, 04:53:45 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Nobody is a bigger Rondo fan than I am but post Big Three who says we even have to keep Rondo? I think this team would be better served trading him to a team with a top 3 pick and going the rebuilding route from the ground up hoping to land a Kevin Durant, John Wall, Derrick Rose type of cornerstone young athletic scoring playmaker to build around.

Rondo is great but without great shooters to distribute to, if he is the main cog of the team, defenses will lay so far off him and deny the others that Rondo will be forced to shoot, not something the C's will want. Rondo is a great passing PG and with talented players, a true gift to have on one's team. Rondo as your lone star is a tough sell, imo.

Once the Big Three go, trade Rondo and start anew, that is if you can get a super high pick in a talented draft. The next few drafts look kinda weak until the 2012-2013 high school classes start hitting college.

« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2011, 04:55:16 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Nobody is a bigger Rondo fan than I am but post Big Three who says we even have to keep Rondo? I think this team would be better served trading him to a team with a top 3 pick and going the rebuilding route from the ground up hoping to land a Kevin Durant, John Wall, Derrick Rose type of cornerstone young athletic scoring playmaker to build around.

Rondo is great but without great shooters to distribute to, if he is the main cog of the team, defenses will lay so far off him and deny the others that Rondo will be forced to shoot, not something the C's will want. Rondo is a great passing PG and with talented players, a true gift to have on one's team. Rondo as your lone star is a tough sell, imo.

Once the Big Three go, trade Rondo and start anew, that is if you can get a super high pick in a talented draft. The next few drafts look kinda weak until the 2012-2013 high school classes start hitting college.

I see this as plan B.

Plan A, use the other trade assets to get a star to go next to Rondo. 

Plan B, use Rondo to get a star to build around.  Specifically, a top young big man. 

« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2011, 05:00:23 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
I think a core of Rondo and Green has the makings of a perennial 35-45 wins per year team. Kind of like the Pierce and Walker era.

If you want to win a title you pretty much have to get a true superstar. Its rare to win it all 2004 Pistons style.

Green is a nice player. If Green can be signed at the right price you keep him, and remain open to moving him, Rondo, or anyone for the right player. I don't want another 20 year transition period between contender teams.

« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2011, 05:17:36 PM »

Online jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1799
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

In a best case scenario, we go the route of the Bulls. They are going to be a very strong team for years and most of their players are homegrown.

Better yet, can we just trade rosters with them now? We can throw in a couple first rounders to sweeten the pot.  :D

« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2011, 05:46:16 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336

Good post, although I still consider the door open on this deal.

I think you're spot on with your evaluation of the current Rondo. My concerns with him continue to be the general uneven nature of his effort, which I don't see changing over the last few years, and his deteriorating ability to shoot the basketball.

If Rondo's attention span remains the same, then he'll probably perform well in the playoffs. That platform seems to garner his attention, which is great, but doesn't make any less disturbing the deterioration of his game since the trade.

If Rondo doesn't become any more diverse scoring the basketball, then I suspect I choose Plan A as you offer, Nick.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2011, 09:17:38 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

In a best case scenario, we go the route of the Bulls. They are going to be a very strong team for years and most of their players are homegrown.

Better yet, can we just trade rosters with them now? We can throw in a couple first rounders to sweeten the pot.  :D

The Bull's route would mean a couple of down years and getting lucky in the draft one yet. 

« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2011, 10:09:51 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5351
  • Thumper of the BASS!

I don't want another 20 year transition period between contender teams.

for real tho man

« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2011, 10:15:35 PM »

Offline OsirusCeltics

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 198
Do you guys think Rondo will still be a top 5 point guard without Pierce/Kg/Ray?

If the Celtics resign Green to a long term contract will he be a star with Rondo or just another core player?

To be accurate, Rondo isn't really a top 5 PG right now the way he's been playing since starting off the season as arguably the best PG in the league.

But, a future with Jeff Green/Rondo...they can be pieces, but they're going to be pieces of a middling to borderline lotto team unless the C's land a whale...and I don't mean Eddy Curry.

Eddy Curry is the ultimate definition of a whale
It was a pain seeing the Knicks trade away 3 draft picks to acquire that...thing