Author Topic: So what's our most likely potential playoff road to the finals?  (Read 2929 times)

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
I've been thinking about this and basically it's looking like this:

First round:Boston vs Pacers (or bobcats but i doubt they'll stay close to indiana)

second round:We play the winner of orlando and atlanta (or even miami vs atlanta if they keep losing like this)

3rd round: We play the winner of the heat vs bulls. (most likely scenario)

I picture us holding the number 1 seed now because of Miami's recent losing skid and our easy schedule.

Would we rather play miami in the conference finals or the conference semis?
I feel like if they were on a roll i'd rather play them in the semi's and face chicago last in the east.
What does everyone else think?
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

Re: So what's our most likely potential playoff road to the finals?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 05:30:02 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 399
i would want to play Orlando in the 2nd round (because i think Atlanta could still give us trouble)

and i would want to play the Heat in the ECF because the Bulls are pretty darn good.

and in the Finals, it would be the irony of ironies if we were to face the OKC Thunder. lol
- LilRip

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 05:57:45 AM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
We face off against Indiana or Philly in the first round, then face the Magic or possibly the Heat.  In the conference finals, we're likely to face the Bulls, or maybe the Heat if we haven't drawn them already.

In the Finals, we'd be facing the Spurs, Mavs, or Lakers.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 08:10:29 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
We face off against Indiana or Philly in the first round, then face the Magic or possibly the Heat.  In the conference finals, we're likely to face the Bulls, or maybe the Heat if we haven't drawn them already.

I don't see the Pacers catching Philly, Indiana is 6 games back in the loss column. In fact the Knicks are only 1/2 game ahead of Philly, and Philly is playing much better overall than the Knicks.

So if we're 1 seed its Bobcats/Pacers

If we're the 2 seed its Knicks/76ers

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 08:34:51 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I figure us for the 1 seed at this point barring an injury to any of the starters at this point.

I'm not worried about the first round opponent -- just cannon fodder regardless of who it is -- provided we're healthy.

Second round, I think it's going to be Orlando with the Bulls and Heat facing off against each other.

Based on how the teams are playing now, I see us playing the Bulls in the ECF with us getting to the Finals.

In the Finals, I actually think the Lakers will pull it together and get there over the Spurs and Mavs with us pulling off a righteous victory for #18.

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 08:49:18 AM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923

I don't see the Pacers catching Philly, Indiana is 6 games back in the loss column. In fact the Knicks are only 1/2 game ahead of Philly, and Philly is playing much better overall than the Knicks.

Yea Indiana/Charlotte is pretty much a sure thing for us if we're #1.  Thus it being so important.  I want no part of Philly in the first round.  I know we can win but it won't be a cake walk, they always play us tough.

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2011, 08:52:05 AM »

Offline greenpride32

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 83
Getting the #1 seed is very important to avoid PHI or NYK in the first round.  It would also mean avoiding playing both MIA and CHI in the semis and ECF; and instead playing ORL and then either MIA or CHI.

Not that we can't beat all of those teams, but that would be a tough path with a SAS DAL or LAL awaiting us in the finals.

We have an easy stretch of 5 very winnable games; if we can pull them all off, #1 seed is probably locked up.  

Though one thing to note is if the Bulls beat us in our last meeting this year to tie the season series, they may get the next tiebreaker (DIV 12-0 vs our 10-1).

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2011, 09:19:43 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Getting the #1 seed is very important to avoid PHI or NYK in the first round.  It would also mean avoiding playing both MIA and CHI in the semis and ECF; and instead playing ORL and then either MIA or CHI.

Not that we can't beat all of those teams, but that would be a tough path with a SAS DAL or LAL awaiting us in the finals.

We have an easy stretch of 5 very winnable games; if we can pull them all off, #1 seed is probably locked up.  

Though one thing to note is if the Bulls beat us in our last meeting this year to tie the season series, they may get the next tiebreaker (DIV 12-0 vs our 10-1).

i was just thinking, darn it would be awesome if we could win 10 in a row, or at least up to the spurs (and take them down at their home court with delonte and JO both back).
First seed is soooo important.
I'm still predicting chicago in the ECF too, meeting the spurs or lakers.
Wildcard for me is  OKL thunder. Would be awesome to see perk i the finals. We'd bury the thunder in 7 games and i doubt they'd get there but man it'd be sweet.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2011, 09:32:18 AM »

Offline droponov

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 16

Yea Indiana/Charlotte is pretty much a sure thing for us if we're #1.  Thus it being so important.  I want no part of Philly in the first round.  I know we can win but it won't be a cake walk, they always play us tough.

I wouldn't be so sure. The Bucks are only 2.5 games behind the Pacers and they're the strongest team of the bunch IMO. The Pacers have been playing pitiful defense lately as the rush coming from JOB's departure wears out and the Bobcats seemed to have given up on the season at the trade deadline and looked lifeless in the last couple of games I watched them since. If the Bucks put a string of wins together and find a way of keeping their core healthy for awhile, they'll have a decent chance. I haven't looked at the schedules and that will be important, but it seems a 3 way race to me.

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2011, 09:34:47 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25589
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

A lot of people are getting this confused this year.  Division record is only used as a tie-breaker if two teams are in the same division.  For Boston and Chicago, the second tie-breaker is conference record.

http://www.nba.com/statistics/playoff_picture.html  (Scroll down to the part that says "Playoff Tie-Break Procedures").

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2011, 09:35:04 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Indiana, Orlando, Chicago, Lakers.

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2011, 09:48:26 AM »

Offline greenpride32

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 83

A lot of people are getting this confused this year.  Division record is only used as a tie-breaker if two teams are in the same division.  For Boston and Chicago, the second tie-breaker is conference record.

http://www.nba.com/statistics/playoff_picture.html  (Scroll down to the part that says "Playoff Tie-Break Procedures").

Nice!  In that case we have a very comfortable lead in CONF record over the Bulls.  And "effectively" a 4 game lead in the loss column.  #1 is just about locked up.  If we only go 15-6 (46-15)down the stretch, the Bulls would need to go 18-2 (44-18) to pass us.

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2011, 10:04:08 AM »

Offline droponov

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 16
Pacers

10 away games, 5 of which agains sub .500 opponents
9 home games, 4 of which against sub .500 opponents
4 b2b (13 games in the next 20 days also... that's going to be tough)

Bucks

10 away games, 4 against sub .500
10 home games, 7 against sub. 500
4 b2b

Bobcats

9 away games, 3 against sub .500
10 home games, 4 against sub .500
4 b2b

Charlotte will play Chi and Por at home in the next two games followed by a 4 game road trip (Tor, Hou, OKC, Sas). If Stephen Jackson and Tyrus Thomas don't come back very soon, they'll dig too deeper of a hole.

Milwaukee has the easiest schedule. Eight or so games they're favourites to win, a couple of 50-50 ones.

Indiana: 7 of their next 9 in the road, with the two at home being vs. Chicago and Boston. With Mike Dunleavy out and their coach not making changes in the starting five (that keeps digging holes at the start of the game... they need the movement Dunleavy brings to the game, without him they should start Paul George and Tyler Hansbrough), I can see them having a rough stretch.

Indiana and Charlotte still have a good advantage on hand, one that should be enough, but I wouldn't rule out a meeting with the Bucks in the first round.