Author Topic: Incorporation of judo into the NBA.  (Read 2218 times)

Incorporation of judo into the NBA.
« on: March 04, 2011, 04:46:01 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
As a martial artist and a big NBA fan, I think that there can be many uses of Judo in the NBA. The very first thing you learn in Judo is how to fall correctly, and how to minimize damage on the body while doing so. You practice break falls, both side and straight back. The next thing you learn is rolling, many such techniques used in Parkour.

I think players should invest time in learning these techniques. Example: Rule 1 of break falling... never break a fall with your wrist. Ahem, Delonte. By incorporating such techniques, I feel that players can have greater longevity in the NBA, protecting joints such as knees, shoulders, wrists, and minimizing damage on the neck and spine (TJ Ford's injury would never happen) when they tumble... and they do crash to the ground a lot.

Not only is this a benefit to the players, it's a benefit to the owners as well. It'd be like investment in protecting assets.

Anyways, just a thought.

Become Legendary.

Re: Incorporation of judo into the NBA.
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 04:49:21 PM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 618

I think your behind the curve a little ;D
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 05:08:02 PM »

Offline CelticHooligan3

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
Excellent post TP. I can get behind this thinking 100%. My father used to always say the same thing and he learned judo in the service.

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 05:32:48 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I was expecting a ridiculous post that involved the NBA going to a slamball meets Mortal Kombat format... Im glad I was pleasantly surprised instead. Lol.

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 05:44:05 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
I was expecting a ridiculous post that involved the NBA going to a slamball meets Mortal Kombat format... Im glad I was pleasantly surprised instead. Lol.

I was hoping it was.  >:(

www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWZpkxEgNUk&

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2011, 07:53:51 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Do you practive falling from 10 Feet high on wood? 

A lot of ball players know you don't catch yourself and try to land as best they can so as not to hurt or roll to disperse the impact.  But some guys as you say try to catch themselves like they can do a wriststand.  Stupid people are stupid people whether they know the tricks or not will they recall them.  I doubt it.  You have to train for hours to get it second nature.   They are not going to invest that time in something with so little use to them.   It's stuff they should teach in gymn class and i's useful to everyone.

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2011, 08:23:03 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
Do you practive falling from 10 Feet high on wood? 

A lot of ball players know you don't catch yourself and try to land as best they can so as not to hurt or roll to disperse the impact.  But some guys as you say try to catch themselves like they can do a wriststand.  Stupid people are stupid people whether they know the tricks or not will they recall them.  I doubt it.  You have to train for hours to get it second nature.   They are not going to invest that time in something with so little use to them.   It's stuff they should teach in gymn class and i's useful to everyone.

Asking if you practice falling from 10ft high is a stupid question. The fact of the matter is that learning how to fall is about technique, not tricks. What works for 3 ft off the ground, works for 5ft off the ground, works for 10ft off the ground, regardless of surface.

As for many ball plays know you don't catch yourself... that is definitely not what I see from watching NBA players fall. Find me one video of a NBA player falling correctly.

And as a practitioner of Judo, I'll tell you that it doesn't take long to learn how it. In just one day of practice, you can learn all the basic techniques for falling.

Become Legendary.

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2011, 08:43:21 PM »

Offline Witch-King

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 143
  • "Just do what you do best" - Red Auerbach

I think your behind the curve a little ;D

TP for the Shaq-Fu cartridge. I'll have to play that game again sometime.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8c-1OlpkHU

^**not quite Bruce Lee vs Kareem (or NBA 2K11 for that matter) but it clearly has higher replay-value**
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 11:24:23 PM by Witch-King »
~W. King of Angmar/Dark Lord Sauron, "Sore-on", "Score-on", "Slore-on"/"W. King", "D. Lord" (Wins, Defense)/"W-itch King" (haha), All I do is win, and Cincy - TayoFromOhio 😄