Author Topic: Recent LeBron ESPN article 8/17/10  (Read 4713 times)

Re: Recent LeBron ESPN article 8/17/10
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2010, 04:00:36 PM »

Online bdm860

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 4599
Also, the talk about spoiling his fans and family is just ridiculous and disgusting. So is his sudden "we hated Cleveland as kids" approach.

I don't know how it is where you're from Drucci, but I can understand the "hated Cleveland as kids" thing.  So I don't know where in France you're from (your profile just says France, and I even looked you up in the "Where are you from" thread, and you still only said France :P).  But I guess it's like if you  were from Strasbourg, but everyone over here just said you're from Paris (since that's the only French city alot of Americans know of), it would probably annoy you.

I mean growing up in the U.S., you usually hate or have big rivalries with kids from other cities that are really close by.  Actually a lot of people from the same city hate kids that live in other neighborhoods within that same city.

When you're playing in Cleveland, you can't really say you hated Cleveland growing up, but now that you've left it's a lot easier to admit. 

So I can definitely understand this, and I think a lot of kids are like this growing up.  The only thing is I think most people grow out of that when you get to college.  Take NYC, kids from the Bronx might hate kids from Queens growing up, but if they both go away to college someplace far away, like say University of North Carolina, suddenly they put their petty differences aside and become friends and connect because they're basically from the same place.  If LeBron went to college and ended up at Duke or North Carolina, he'd probably find himself liking kids from Cleveland alot more, "oh you're basically from the same place i am, we can relate, let's be friends" kind of thing.  I know when I went away to college, I suddenly found myself friends with kids from rival high schools and cities because we actually have a lot in common and could easily relate to each other more so than kids from totally different parts of the country.

But I think we all know LeBron is a little behind on the maturity curve  ;)

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2010, 04:06:02 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
The best thing the Cavs could have done for him and his career would have been first and foremost to keep Paul Silas around as coach for a couple more years.  If there is any one sure thing in pro basketball, surely it's that Paul Silas doesn't care about your ego.

His ego is the product of an adolescent "management" team of hangers-on and a desperately indulgent franchise.

Dan Gilbert probably shouldn't have written that letter, but in it he did acknowledge that he (and the team) shouldn't have been so coddling to their adolescent superstar (still a teenager when drafted, after all).
Silas for sure but he wasn't giving Lebron his proper due so he was let go which isn't Lebrons fault more mgt and ownership.  Until Lebron actually wins something he is really just mouthy.  Maybe he's the best in the game but he hasn't proved ANYTHING until he can do something.  And that something isn't an hour long self promoting show, or immediately pulling your cleveland uniform off after loosing, or possibly giving up in the playoffs, or not shaking hands after losing a playoff series.

Sort of player I never want to see in green

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2010, 05:01:28 PM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
Also, the talk about spoiling his fans and family is just ridiculous and disgusting. So is his sudden "we hated Cleveland as kids" approach.

I don't know how it is where you're from Drucci, but I can understand the "hated Cleveland as kids" thing.  So I don't know where in France you're from (your profile just says France, and I even looked you up in the "Where are you from" thread, and you still only said France :P).  But I guess it's like if you  were from Strasbourg, but everyone over here just said you're from Paris (since that's the only French city alot of Americans know of), it would probably annoy you.

I mean growing up in the U.S., you usually hate or have big rivalries with kids from other cities that are really close by.  Actually a lot of people from the same city hate kids that live in other neighborhoods within that same city.

When you're playing in Cleveland, you can't really say you hated Cleveland growing up, but now that you've left it's a lot easier to admit. 

So I can definitely understand this, and I think a lot of kids are like this growing up.  The only thing is I think most people grow out of that when you get to college.  Take NYC, kids from the Bronx might hate kids from Queens growing up, but if they both go away to college someplace far away, like say University of North Carolina, suddenly they put their petty differences aside and become friends and connect because they're basically from the same place.  If LeBron went to college and ended up at Duke or North Carolina, he'd probably find himself liking kids from Cleveland alot more, "oh you're basically from the same place i am, we can relate, let's be friends" kind of thing.  I know when I went away to college, I suddenly found myself friends with kids from rival high schools and cities because we actually have a lot in common and could easily relate to each other more so than kids from totally different parts of the country.

But I think we all know LeBron is a little behind on the maturity curve  ;)

I'm from Paris actually so you were right! ;D

I understand the "rivalries" between some cities, usually the ones near each other, we have it here too and I guess it's common in every country.

And I understand too that it wouldn't have been well perceived to state, during his time as a Cavalier, that he didn't like Cleveland as a kid/teenager. Still, he was not obligated to reveal his feelings about the city now that he has left it, it suddenly seems like he always hated the city and was forced to play for it.

I don't know, I guess he could have said during an interview, at some point during his 7 years as a Clevelander, that he didn't like the city as a kid/teenager but that he loved the fans of the Cavs or something like that.

It's probably nit-picking, but still, I dislike the way it sounds like "hey now that I'm gone I'm going to bash you". Sure, LeBron is immature but there was no shame in leaving Cleveland, it was actually the best solution for him sports/winning-wise. But the way he announced his decision and the way he keeps referring to the city is disastrous in terms of "public relations" (for lack of a better word).

« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2010, 05:08:37 PM »

Offline The DarkPassenger

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 46
I don't hate LeBron but I really am not a fan of how he left Cleveland. He's a great player with an out of control ego and I hope we destroy his precious and desired Heat team next season.

"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships." - Michael Jordan

"Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life."- Red Auerbach

« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2010, 05:12:24 PM »

Offline Sizzlack

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 14
He's just so unlikeable now. Some of it is his fault, some of it isn't.

I don't completely blame him for the move to Miami, I understand him being young and wanting to be in the lime light, the nightlife in Miami, the great team they'll have. I get all that, I still think Chicago would have been better for him as a Basketball player, but whatever.

But the rest of the stuff, the ridiculous egotism, the "spoiled" quotes, the absurd narcissism, it just makes him so unlikeable. Fans want people they can relate to, that's why they'll always love the underdog. No one can relate to Lebron, because he lives off in this world that doesn't exist to normal human beings. Let's call it LebronLand, and in LebronLand nothing else but Lebron matters.

« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2010, 05:17:22 PM »

Offline shookones99

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 73
Bigger ego, Lebron or Starbury?

Honestly, I can't remember a player who was quite this full of himself.  Most ball players have a natural arrogance / cockiness, but Lebron's "you should grovel at my feet" manner makes me sick.
Right.  Dwayne Wade for example.  He has that cockiness that allows him to be a star but it almost comes across as a humble cockiness (if that makes any sense). 

KG too.  Perfect blend of cockiness/humbleness/swagger.
When I'm in the gym...I like to grunt when  I get my swell on... That way everyone can see how jacked and tan I am.