Author Topic: Thoughts re Thibbs and Doc  (Read 1631 times)

Thoughts re Thibbs and Doc
« on: June 22, 2010, 12:23:46 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 447
Something crossed my mind.

1. If Doc knew he was seriously considering leaving, don't we think that he and Ainge are tight enough that they would have prepared for this.

2. Doc would have come in and said, hye Danny, this might be it, I amy be gone after this season so if you think Thibbs is your guy, don't let him go.

3. Assuming that, which I think is very realistic; why would they just let Thibbs go if they knew Doc was leaving or even serioulsy thinking about it.

4. So, if Doc does in fact leave and they also let Thibbs go...the logical thought and my point is, they are moving towards building around Rondo and an uptempo game and they might not see Thibbs as the coach suited for the next "version" of the Boston Celtics...

Re: Thoughts re Thibbs and Doc
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 12:26:26 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I think you are overthinking it.  I think they just did not think Thibs would be a good head coach.

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 12:33:23 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 447
Yeah, that could be as well.

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2010, 12:38:56 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2435
I think you are overthinking it.  I think they just did not think Thibs would be a good head coach.
Agreed

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2010, 01:22:59 PM »

Offline EmilioBonilla

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 8
Very true. But I truly believe Thibs will be a good coach FOR chicago, never for the Celts. Lebron's heading to Chi-town with him by the way.<--- my prediction and the Celts will beat them out in the first round again  ;D
I bleed Green

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2010, 01:35:34 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
Agreed

double agree.

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2010, 01:51:39 PM »

Offline Spilling Green Dye

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 115
From a revenue standpoint the Celtics are in good shape next year if they keep the team very similar to what it is now.  I don't see any wholesale selling to rebuild around Rondo and a new coach b/c the revenue will be there.  Considering a possible lock-out the year after, I bet the Celts stand pat.

I also agree with people that the Celtics don't believe T.Thib would be a great head coach.  The Celtics organization has a lot of clout, and can draw some of the best coaches.

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2010, 02:09:50 PM »

Offline SalmonAndMashedPotatoes

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 119
Agreed

double agree.

Not necessarily, guys.  The front office thought he'd make an excellent coach (and have said so many times), though just not for THIS TEAM.  Coaching this team involves coddling veterans, soothing egos, settling arguments, and being a GREAT COMMUNICATOR and MOTIVATOR.  Those are Doc RIvers' strengths, and that's why he was able to get this team to play well.  Thibs, for all his strengths, doesn't have these skills, which is why the Celtics passed on him. 

In Chicago, with a young, underachieving team in need of discipline and defense, Thibs will likely have immediate success because his strengths and weaknesses as a coach match up nicely with what the Bulls need right now.
Folly. Persist.