Author Topic: Perk Is A Turnover Machine! He's Not A Good Low Post Player!  (Read 9112 times)

Re: Perk Is A Turnover Machine! He's Not A Good Low Post Player!
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2010, 12:02:43 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
Perk is one of the worst low post players in the league. I've said this before many times, but most people on this board just laughed at me.

His league-leading field goal percentage begs to differ.

Perk isn't great, and generally speaking I don't like it when he tries to go 1 on 1, unless he has a significant mismatch.  But Perk is a solid offensive option down low at this point, he just needs to understand his limitations, and so do teammates.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2010, 12:06:29 PM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 575
While I agree that they have been going to him too often and he needs to learn to kick the ball back out sometimes, I don't agree that his low post game is that bad.
If I'm not mistaken, he's either leading the league or close to it in FG percentage. He's added a decent little turnaround. Resently I've seen him make some nice drop step moves. He's even hit some foul line shots. Keeping in mind that he's only 25 and had no offensive game when he came into the league, I think he's devoloping okay.
He really just has to learn to make his move quicker or kick it back out if it's not there.

« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2010, 12:20:33 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
wait hold up...

Perk is averaging 14 points, 9 rebounds, 2.7 blocks and 62% shooting this month without the help of KG and you people are complaining about him?

I'm sure there are a few teams that wouldn't mind a defensive stud 25 year old center who seems capable of consistently giving a team 15, 10 and 2...

« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2010, 12:32:52 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
wait hold up...

Perk is averaging 14 points, 9 rebounds, 2.7 blocks and 62% shooting this month without the help of KG and you people are complaining about him?

I'm sure there are a few teams that wouldn't mind a defensive stud 25 year old center who seems capable of consistently giving a team 15, 10 and 2...

Precisely.  You didn't mention his turnover rate during that time, which lately is probably pretty high, but still, Perk has been one of our better players during this tough stretch.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2010, 01:42:13 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Agreed -- the frequency that the team is going to Perkins is bothering me too. He is just not effective enough to warrant that many touches, post ups and shot attempts.

Less is more.
I'd be curious to what his post up chart shows.

I'm guessing that he's at least as effective as most of our other options down there. Accept maybe KG.

I don't think the stats tell the story on that though.  When he gets the ball in the post, he takes way too much time, and he does not give any threat of passing.  A low post threat is not just about being able to put a move on, and score.  It is about being able to beat double teams, and use his inside scoring as a weapon to open up the rest of the offense. 

This is true but I think it's something that needs to be learned over time. This is the first year he's been used as a weapon in the half court. Before this year most of his points were putbacks or passes when he was wide open. How many times was he ever double teamed in the past?
I agree with bballtim on this.  Perk has been improving in incriments.  First he learned to catch the ball.  Then he learned not to dribble every time he caught the ball.  Then he learned to make one on one moves.  Now he's excellent one on one but has been recently introduced to extra defensive pressure on him and double teams.  His next step will be dealing with this defensive pressure without turning it over.

« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2010, 02:11:00 PM »

Offline jdpapa3

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 85
I've been keeping stats on this for some reason and I have him at 47% on postups and turning it over 18% of the time. % is pretty good, but the to% is horrible.

Sheed is also at 47% on postups and turns it over from there 7% of the time.

And they have similar sample sizes, with more than 100 postups.

« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2010, 03:13:21 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
i dont know about Perk being a turnover machine but isnt dwight howard similar? i guess when youre a big man, ball handling is an issue for them...i mean if you check the boxscore for Orlando, i think dwight TO rate is like 4 per game, so i dont think Perk is really that bad...hes improved already this season...

and personally i think his defense makes up for "some" of his mistakes to be honest

« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2010, 03:17:54 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
i dont know about Perk being a turnover machine but isnt dwight howard similar? i guess when youre a big man, ball handling is an issue for them...i mean if you check the boxscore for Orlando, i think dwight TO rate is like 4 per game, so i dont think Perk is really that bad...hes improved already this season...

and personally i think his defense makes up for "some" of his mistakes to be honest

Well, Howard is also a much bigger part of their offense, and is almost always being double and triple teamed, which opens up their shooters.

« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2010, 04:04:44 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
I've been keeping stats on this for some reason and I have him at 47% on postups and turning it over 18% of the time. % is pretty good, but the to% is horrible.

Sheed is also at 47% on postups and turns it over from there 7% of the time.

And they have similar sample sizes, with more than 100 postups.

Pretty good compared to other centers?

===
Perkin's TO/FGA (per 36 mpg) is 35% compared to last year's 34% so he 's not really fumbling the ball away any more than he did in 2008-9, but he's also the worst on the team. His A/FGA (per 36 mpg), is down slightly from 20% to 16%, so he's become more of a black hole and is 2nd lowest on the team. Otherwise his numbers are generally better than last year.

« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2010, 04:36:07 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
The team plays best inside out.

Perk would be my third choice as the "Inside"

It should be

1) KG (when he returns)

2) Wallace.

yeah, but not when Perk is the one on the inside.

He shoots such a high percentage that you can afford the turnovers. Plus you have to reward your big man's defense with touches on the offensive end.

« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2010, 04:57:18 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632

It should be

1) KG (when he returns)

2) Wallace.

He shoots such a high percentage that you can afford the turnovers. Plus you have to reward your big man's defense with touches on the offensive end.

Really?  You couln't afford the turnovers Wednesday night.  And in a close playoff game?  Uh, no.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2010, 05:43:07 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280

It should be

1) KG (when he returns)

2) Wallace.

Really?  You couln't afford the turnovers Wednesday night.  And in a close playoff game?  Uh, no.

I'm talking in the scheme of the offense and throughout a season. I agree with you that he's turnover prone, and passing out of the post in the next step in Kendrick Perkins' development.

But to say that he's not a good low post player is a stretch, if you lead the league in FG% and your offense is all coming from the block i'd say your pretty good.

Plus he's not going to be seeing double teams with Garnett back, so he has some time to keep working on it (which he's probably doing right now)

« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2010, 05:56:26 PM »

Offline jdpapa3

• Ray Allen
But he's not a good low post player. Shooting 47% and seeing no double teams is not very good at all. His fg% is so high because he gets wide open dunks all the time.

Doc seems to think he is. Doc has been mic'ed up and screams at his team to feed the low post. I don't exactly agree with this. KG is back, though, and Perk will be able to play the role he is accustomed to again.

« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2010, 06:10:04 PM »

Offline jdpapa3

• Ray Allen
The best 5 offenses in the league are Atlanta, Portland, Phoenix, Toronto, and Denver and they aren't exactly big into the feeding the post theory.

« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2010, 07:15:23 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Tommy Heinsohn
  • Tommy Points: 2740
The best 5 offenses in the league are Atlanta, Portland, Phoenix, Toronto, and Denver and they aren't exactly big into the feeding the post theory.

and how far are these teams expected to go in the playoffs, 2nd round?