Author Topic: The Bulls  (Read 2311 times)

The Bulls
« on: December 22, 2009, 12:39:35 AM »

Offline soap07

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 145
Wow. Blew a 35 point second-half lead tonight at home against the Kings. I can't help but kind of laugh at them. Blogabull is going nuts.

No way  Del Negro lasts through December, right?

Re: The Bulls
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2009, 01:37:52 AM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1714
No way at all, I think.  Although Byron Scott made it through the offseason in New Orleans after getting gutted by 58 in front of his home crowd in the playoffs last year... so anything can happen.

Interesting question from that blog...  Who do you guys like better:  Tyreke Evans or Derrick Rose? 

Most people - predictably enough - went with Rose while also mentioning that Evans is a beast.  "Higher ceiling" seemed to be a common reason. 

I'd take Tyreke, personally.  Rose's edge in quickness is cancelled by Evans's edge in size.  Better numbers and results in a similar role:  "Take this garbage roster full of not-ready-yet prospects and make it look useful now."  He's also doing this at a younger age with less NBA experience, and he's shown signs of being a good option in the clutch. 

I don't know.  I don't buy the whole 'Rose has more potential' argument, but I've never really bought into his hype all that much.  I think he could be a fringe-top 5 PG at best - which is still very good, don't get me wrong, but considerably below the 'possible HOFer" that a lot of people predict. 

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2009, 01:41:58 AM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
Sooo a 35 point lead..

Against the Kings?

And you lose?

Ouch.

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2009, 12:03:07 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2441
Interesting question from that blog...  Who do you guys like better:  Tyreke Evans or Derrick Rose? 

Most people - predictably enough - went with Rose while also mentioning that Evans is a beast.  "Higher ceiling" seemed to be a common reason. 

I'd take Tyreke, personally.  Rose's edge in quickness is cancelled by Evans's edge in size.  Better numbers and results in a similar role:  "Take this garbage roster full of not-ready-yet prospects and make it look useful now."  He's also doing this at a younger age with less NBA experience, and he's shown signs of being a good option in the clutch. 

I don't know.  I don't buy the whole 'Rose has more potential' argument, but I've never really bought into his hype all that much.  I think he could be a fringe-top 5 PG at best - which is still very good, don't get me wrong, but considerably below the 'possible HOFer" that a lot of people predict. 
I'd go with Tyreke Evans too. I think he's already an All-Star caliber player and he's going to improve much more once his shooting, scoring efficiency, plus defense (at PG) improve.

Derrick Rose is a mediocre starting point guard. His athleticism allows him to have a lot of potential but in terms of current ability he leaves a lot to be desired. Below average scoring efficiency, lack of shooting ability, decent scorer, mediocre passer, mediocre vision, mediocre rebounder, decent defender. No very good-to-excellent talents (high end talents) whatsoever. Too passive to take over as a scoring point and not good enough as a playmaker to create for others. Not a difference maker at this point in his career (not last season, not this season).

Derrick Rose is a riskier prospect. There is potential there but he's not achieving it at present and it's highly questionable as to much of that potential he'll ever fill (some, definitely, but all? Ehh ...). Tyreke Evans is an established star already and has a lot of potential himself. He's a much safer choice.

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2009, 12:12:29 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1651
  • What a Pub Should Be
While I'm not ready to make the leap and say that Tyreke Evans will be better than Derrick Rose, I will say that I've been pretty impressed with what I've seen out of Evans although I find him to be a bit of a gunner and seen a tendency to force things.  Part of that can probably be chalked up to playing on a bad team and being a rookie.

In regards to the Bulls, they are pretty excruciating to watch.  The front court, in particular, has some serious issues.  I've also seen several stretches where this team has had the inability to score the ball.  Deng looks like they're trying to fit a square peg in a round hole.  I'm not a fan of their bench, either.   The good news is that they have some salary coming off the books following this season.  I think they also need to start thinking about moving some of this young talent on the team.  Build around Rose. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2009, 12:16:55 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Del Negro is terrible, and this is a team that was very poorly put together.  They have a (potentially) great PG, an excellent roleplayer at SF, a good role player at Center, and then a bunch of bench guys who are paid like starters.

Last year they let their best "finisher" walk, and failed to replace him (I am a huge Deng fan, but he brings completely different things to the table than Gordon), and they haven't addressed their need for a legit big man for years now.

This is a team with a ton of tradable assets (Miller's expiring contract, Hinrich, Thomas), and two glaring holes in the starting lineup.  I really hope they decide to make some dramatic moves soon to push this team back into the playoffs instead of just holding out to hope they can convince Wade to join them in the offseason.  Rose is too good a player to not have him showcased in the playoffs.

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2009, 12:22:08 PM »

Offline jdpapa3

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 85
Sooo a 35 point lead..

Against the Kings?

And you lose?

Ouch.

AT HOME TOO! That is a game those season ticket holders will never forget.

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2009, 12:46:33 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Gotta be a VERY demoralizing loss....don't see how the Bulls will recover from this one for a while.

Sort of like the one the Celtics pinned on the Lakers in Game 4 of 2007-2008 Finals. Pure Classic that one.

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2009, 01:17:57 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Yeah, very demoralizing loss.  I thought the Bulls would be better this year...

Sort of like the one the Celtics pinned on the Lakers in Game 4 of 2007-2008 Finals. Pure Classic that one.

+1.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2009, 03:27:25 AM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good

Then we followed it up with that Game 6 which "demoralized" them so much they went and won it all the next year.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2009, 08:42:09 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 442
The Bulls have had so many chips to cash in for over 4 years, and they have never done much of anything.  They could have gone after KG, Pau, or Amare instead of Brad Miller and John Salmons.  And they just let Gordon walk for nothing.  Extremely poor GM work.
Rose is going to be a very good point guard.  With all the hype, its easy to forget its only his second year.  Remember Rondo in his second year?  The one thing I've noticed is that his vision isn't great, though, and thats something that players either have or don't have.  He doesn't really have it, but then again, neither does Tony Parker.  It's a close call between Evans and Rose.

« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2009, 09:18:39 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632

Then we followed it up with that Game 6 which "demoralized" them so much they went and won it all the next year.

Only because the Celtics were not there due to Garnett's injury. If the Celtics had been there, the Lakers would have shat their pants. ;D
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson