Author Topic: John Hollinger's take on Big Baby's Worth  (Read 5735 times)

Re: John Hollinger's take on Big Baby's Worth
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2009, 08:29:25 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
better the other teams tell him and he comes back here with something to prove.

Yep.  And we get him for a fair price.

Yep, and yep...

that is a a nice contract which boston will match...sheed and baby off the bench with eddie would be a good start

.... and yep.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2009, 08:43:45 PM »

Offline SalmonAndMashedPotatoes

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 119

Considering he will never be a great shooter, a great rebounder, taller, better jumper, I'd say the guy has come close to peaking. Back yours up please.

See, exactly my point.  He's ALREADY surpassed your expectations, so, ergo, he's 'peaked.'  I'm not so convinced.

He has many areas of growth.  His level of fitness, for example, could be improved.  He added a 15 footer in one offseason, it's not impossible for him to add a 3 point shot the next (your deft assessment of his shooting mechanics not withstanding).  But perhaps the biggest thing pointing towards his non-peak is basic common sense--pro athletes don't usually peak until 27-29.  Glen has at least 5 more seasons of possible development, even if it only comes from the shoulders up, it's still movement above what you classify as his 'peak.'
Folly. Persist.

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2009, 08:48:06 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127

If I don't think the guy has legitimate chance at being a starter someday, then I let him go. He's just not that good. I really think he has peaked. I'd sign him for 1 year at more money over a 3 year deal. Commit 4 mil for next with a team option for the second. Then if he does improve, or grow 4-5 inches in the next couple years,  you negotiate a longer term deal the middle of 2011.

How has he peaked?  Simply by virtue of the fact that he played better than you ever thought he would?

Fact is, Baby's still overweight and is in the process of adding a 3 point shot to his game.  The kid has a WAY to go before he peaks.  Even if he stays fat, simply adding a 3 point shot will get him a 10 year career in the NBA.  3 or 4 million per is a good, fair contract for him, given his current production and what he could turn into in the next 3 seasons.

Why does he necessarily have a WAY to go before he peaks?! It's no different than me saying that he doesn't. Its my opinion. When this turns into a provable facts only board let me know...

If you think the guy has any chance of developing a 3 point shot then you're nuts! He has a hideous 17-18 footer that he has to fling at the basket. Add 5-7 more feet and he might as well throw it one handed up there. I bet BBD doesn't even think he could ever develop a 3. Let's let the guy shoot a 15 footer consistently before you have the guy as a rainmaker...

Considering he will never be a great shooter, a great rebounder, taller, better jumper, I'd say the guy has come close to peaking. Back yours up please.

"hideous" jumper? Was that what that game winner was?

One made jumper makes the guy have a nice shot with good form?! Go play a clip of his shot and then go play a clip of Ray's. I repeat. He has a hideous jumper.

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2009, 08:51:39 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2441
I don't think Davis is worth that kind of money.

Certainly not while playing behind KG, Perkins and Wallace.

« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2009, 08:52:17 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

See, exactly my point.  He's ALREADY surpassed your expectations, so, ergo, he's 'peaked.'  I'm not so convinced.

He has many areas of growth.  His level of fitness, for example, could be improved.  He added a 15 footer in one offseason, it's not impossible for him to add a 3 point shot the next (your deft assessment of his shooting mechanics not withstanding).  But perhaps the biggest thing pointing towards his non-peak is basic common sense--pro athletes don't usually peak until 27-29.  Glen has at least 5 more seasons of possible development, even if it only comes from the shoulders up, it's still movement above what you classify as his 'peak.'

If he is athletically unable to improve due to height and lack of vertical, has a flawed fundamentally unsound shot that can not be more than mediocre at best (just because he took more 15 footers and made a mediocre share of them does not mean he "added" one in the offseason), and will never be a good rebounder, how is he supposed to improve much over where he is now. Great athletes can peak around 27-29. Out of shape "big boned" guys don't have far to go. Sorry. He's a solid backup at best. Just not a solid one on a championship team.

« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2009, 09:09:01 PM »

Offline Brendan

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 72
I don't think Davis is worth that kind of money.

Certainly not while playing behind KG, Perkins and Wallace.
Me neither. I'm hoping he doesn't get bubkis out there and comes back for the offer sheet angry and plays a great 1/2 year and we trade him at the deadline for something better, and resign Powe. But that's just me.

« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2009, 09:20:22 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255

If I don't think the guy has legitimate chance at being a starter someday, then I let him go. He's just not that good. I really think he has peaked. I'd sign him for 1 year at more money over a 3 year deal. Commit 4 mil for next with a team option for the second. Then if he does improve, or grow 4-5 inches in the next couple years,  you negotiate a longer term deal the middle of 2011.

How has he peaked?  Simply by virtue of the fact that he played better than you ever thought he would?

Fact is, Baby's still overweight and is in the process of adding a 3 point shot to his game.  The kid has a WAY to go before he peaks.  Even if he stays fat, simply adding a 3 point shot will get him a 10 year career in the NBA.  3 or 4 million per is a good, fair contract for him, given his current production and what he could turn into in the next 3 seasons.

Why does he necessarily have a WAY to go before he peaks?! It's no different than me saying that he doesn't. Its my opinion. When this turns into a provable facts only board let me know...

If you think the guy has any chance of developing a 3 point shot then you're nuts! He has a hideous 17-18 footer that he has to fling at the basket. Add 5-7 more feet and he might as well throw it one handed up there. I bet BBD doesn't even think he could ever develop a 3. Let's let the guy shoot a 15 footer consistently before you have the guy as a rainmaker...

One made jumper makes the guy have a nice shot with good form?! Go play a clip of his shot and then go play a clip of Ray's. I repeat. He has a hideous jumper.

so because his jumper doesn't look as good as possibly the best jump shooter in the history of the game it's hideous?

« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2009, 09:25:41 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255

If he is athletically unable to improve due to height and lack of vertical, has a flawed fundamentally unsound shot that can not be more than mediocre at best (just because he took more 15 footers and made a mediocre share of them does not mean he "added" one in the offseason), and will never be a good rebounder, how is he supposed to improve much over where he is now. Great athletes can peak around 27-29. Out of shape "big boned" guys don't have far to go. Sorry. He's a solid backup at best. Just not a solid one on a championship team.

but your assessment isn't even really fair about what he's already accomplished, so how fair are you really being about his future potential?

he's already been a solid contributor as a STARTER on a team that was one win away from the ECF.

and on a side note, his jumper is already in the 17 ft range. that's where he's taking that shot from.

« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2009, 09:30:00 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777

Kinda pointless to declare a player has peaked off when he is young and he just came of a season where he improved throughout.

Listing a bunch of traits doesn't prove anything since you have no proof of this causality you are claiming.

« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2009, 12:03:08 AM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

so because his jumper doesn't look as good as possibly the best jump shooter in the history of the game it's hideous?

The only player that has a jumper worse looking on the C's is Rondo. The guys form is terrible. You'll never get great consistency out of a flawed jumper. That is why I say it will be mediocre at best. Flawed technique usually creates streak shooters. Trust me. I have lots of coaches that tried to coach my flawed jumper into something more consistent. Didn't work. That's why I'd shoot 8-10 one game and 1-10 another game. My average always turned out to be mediocre. That's what happens. That's why his shooting percentage from the outside is just so-so. My opinion, which I have stated all along, is that this mediocre jumper along with his lack of inside scoring and rebounding will limit his upside to not much more than he is right now. Solid. Nothing more.

« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2009, 12:05:57 AM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
I am all for signing him for 3 years at 10 mill thats a great deal for the C's.

Especially since we sadly don't have to worry about paying Powe too.

I would have taken Powe 100 times out of 100 over Davis, but Davis is a nice fall-back plan.

BBD is the better player.