Author Topic: Off season targets  (Read 1304 times)

Off season targets
« on: May 18, 2009, 09:38:58 PM »

Offline Roy Janteen

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 2
This is my first post but I wanted to hear everyone's opinion on some off season targets.  I feel like we have a pretty solid core of returning guys going into next season with:

PG: Rondo
SG: Allen, House
SF: Pierce
PF: KG
C: Perkins

Ideally I think we would like to have a solid nine man rotation with possibly Bill Walker being our tenth man.  As far as our own FA's go I think our top priority would be re-signing Big Baby and possibly Powe if he can play again. The real interesting part of the off season is what do we do with the expiring deals of Tony Allen, Scal, Pruitt.  Their salaries amount to a little more than 6 mil so we could target some decent FA's who have similar salaries but longer deals, saving the target team money.  Here's my list of guys that fit that criteria

James Posey
Mo Peterson
Leandro Barbosa
Andres Nocioni
Matt Carroll
Jamal Tinsley
Jeff Foster
Marco Jaric
Dan Gadzuric
Nick Collison
Jason Kapono
Louis Williams
Reggie Evan
Desanga Diop

Out of that list most guys aren't appealing, but I think Barbosa might be the best fit for us especially since he has good experience coming off the bench and he offers some skills that rondo hasn't developed yet. However I think we still lack that Big 3 who can guard guys like lebron or rashard lewis. There are some FA who we may be able to snag for cheap I'd say my top three are

Desmond Mason
Rodney Carney
Trevor Ariza

We would have a projected lineup:

PG: Rondo, Barbosa
SG: Allen, House
SF: Pierce, Desmond Mason, Walker, Giddens
PF: KG, Davis, Powe
C: Perkins

I think this line-up leaves us a little weak at  the 5.  We may have some combination of the MLE or LLE to add one more guy.  But it looks like we have the assets and personel to be able to have 9 solid guys heading into next season.  ;D

Just when you think they've got the answers....

I change the questions.

Re: Off season targets
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 09:57:27 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Welcome to the blog.  Hopefully, there's room for two Roys on here.  ;)

I'm not in love with either Barbosa or Mason.  I think we can do quite a bit better, honestly.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions