Author Topic: Manny says he won't block any trade  (Read 11363 times)

Re: Manny says he won't block any trade
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2008, 08:00:36 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

In addition to not knowing what's out there, we might be surprised at what Theo @ company would be in the market for. One might think a quality LF or C prospect, but anything's possible. This is a regime that has disassembled a reigning WS team and refused to make panic trades to save the '06 season( with the exception of Bard and Meridith for Dougie). They usually go out of their way to make the most favorable long term move.

but why would a non-contending team, who is where those prospects come from, trade us for 2 months of manny?

look, if theo pulls off a trade for 1/10th of manny's value, it will be the first one accomplished at the trade deadline in 20 years. he'll be a genious.

The market for superstar players unhappy with thier contracts who have 2 months left is 2nd tier prospects or middle realivers, which are no worth it for manny's bat.

unless your going to admit were sellers this year, we need a bat back plus prospects. I'll stake all my TP's no team will trade us a power outfield bat + prospects. it won't happen.

There are contenders out there with prospects. Milwaukee just traded Matt Laporta ( who I honestly had never heard of prior to a few weeks ago) for a Sabbathia rental. I'm not saying we could get that much of a return for Manny, but I don't know just how desperate some of these teams are. Maybe they'd rationalize giving up a stud prospect for a rental + two comp picks once he bolts. Or, they could pick up the options should they choose.

I'm also operating on the hypothetical scenario that the 'Sox have the guts to stick Moss out in LF in the middle of a pennant drive.

but why get one prospect when if you hold him and let him walk you get 3 1st round draft picks? 3 prospects > 1 in my book.

I'm pretty sure you only get a 1st round pick and a sandwich pick. Also, the BBall draft is somewhat of a crapshoot. First round picks flame out all of the time before even reaching AAA.

Correct.  And you only get a first round pick if 1) the team signing him has one of the top 15 records in the league, and 2) the team signing him doesn't sign a higher ranked free agent.  Otherwise, you can end up with a second rounder.

Of course, it's very unlikely that they'll be another free agent ranked higher than Manny next year, and it's unlikely he'd sign with a team with a poor record.  Still, it's within the realm of possibility.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2008, 08:07:23 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

In addition to not knowing what's out there, we might be surprised at what Theo @ company would be in the market for. One might think a quality LF or C prospect, but anything's possible. This is a regime that has disassembled a reigning WS team and refused to make panic trades to save the '06 season( with the exception of Bard and Meridith for Dougie). They usually go out of their way to make the most favorable long term move.

but why would a non-contending team, who is where those prospects come from, trade us for 2 months of manny?

look, if theo pulls off a trade for 1/10th of manny's value, it will be the first one accomplished at the trade deadline in 20 years. he'll be a genious.

The market for superstar players unhappy with thier contracts who have 2 months left is 2nd tier prospects or middle realivers, which are no worth it for manny's bat.

unless your going to admit were sellers this year, we need a bat back plus prospects. I'll stake all my TP's no team will trade us a power outfield bat + prospects. it won't happen.

There are contenders out there with prospects. Milwaukee just traded Matt Laporta ( who I honestly had never heard of prior to a few weeks ago) for a Sabbathia rental. I'm not saying we could get that much of a return for Manny, but I don't know just how desperate some of these teams are. Maybe they'd rationalize giving up a stud prospect for a rental + two comp picks once he bolts. Or, they could pick up the options should they choose.

I'm also operating on the hypothetical scenario that the 'Sox have the guts to stick Moss out in LF in the middle of a pennant drive.

but why get one prospect when if you hold him and let him walk you get 3 1st round draft picks? 3 prospects > 1 in my book.

I'm pretty sure you only get a 1st round pick and a sandwich pick. Also, the BBall draft is somewhat of a crapshoot. First round picks flame out all of the time before even reaching AAA.

so are "prospects" there just as much of a crap shoot unless thier AAA guys on the verge, something we won't be getting.

also, i doubt the team trading for him in this scenario picks up his options, its become blatantly clear manny doesn't want that to happen, nor does boras, who wouldn't get commission on mannys options, since he didnt negotiate it. manny's made it clear he wants a final 4 year deal from somewhere.

also, if we only get 1 sandwich pick, how did we get 2 for damon? just wondering. WEEI reported yesterday that the damon sandwich pick(s) plural lead to elsbury and some other guy in double A at the moment.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2008, 08:14:20 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

so are "prospects" there just as much of a crap shoot unless thier AAA guys on the verge, something we won't be getting.

My point is you don't know this for sure.  You may be right, but the sox will absolutely need to put it out there and see if there are options.  Manny has some value...its just how desperate teams get.

also, if we only get 1 sandwich pick, how did we get 2 for damon? just wondering. WEEI reported yesterday that the damon sandwich pick(s) plural lead to elsbury and some other guy in double A at the moment.

They were most likely referring to the first rounder, AND the sandwich pick.  Or they made a mistake.  That happens at least 10 times a day on WEEI.

« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2008, 08:20:12 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

We actually drafted Ellsbury with the first rounder we got when Orlando Cabrera signed in California.  We used the sandwich pick we got from Cabrera on Jed Lowrie.

We drafted Daniel Bard (1st round, #28) and Kristofer Johnson (sandwich round, #40) with the picks we got from Damon.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2008, 08:26:06 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

We actually drafted Ellsbury with the first rounder we got when Orlando Cabrera signed in California.  We used the sandwich pick we got from Cabrera on Jed Lowrie.

We drafted Daniel Bard (1st round, #28) and Kristofer Johnson (sandwich round, #40) with the picks we got from Damon.

odd, should have known better than to trust pete. :/
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2008, 08:31:09 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 891
I think the FA draft pick compensation (1st and a sandwich) pretty much sets the floor for any discussion about a trade for Manny.  Of course, some one is going to have to meet that because it is guaranteed that they will get that much back if Manny signs somewhere else after the Rental Period.  We would just be renting their prospects from them until the draft.  Some one is going to have to offer comparable prospects or draft choices plus some level of current player(s).  Maybe no one will, I don't know, but all things considered, Manny's value is not all that bad.  If you don't sign him, you get the picks, if you do, you get a couple more years and if you want, 4 more years (so it is not really a rental).

Let's see what Theo can do.....

« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2008, 08:31:30 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

odd, should have known better than to trust pete. :/

I think everything can learn from that statement

« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2008, 08:36:50 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377

also, i doubt the team trading for him in this scenario picks up his options, its become blatantly clear manny doesn't want that to happen, nor does boras, who wouldn't get commission on mannys options, since he didnt negotiate it. manny's made it clear he wants a final 4 year deal from somewhere.

I don't doubt someone from EEI said that, but the only one on that station I would trust is Sean McAdam. Also, Ellsbury was in the system prior to Damon's departure. We actually got him as a comp pick for OC's departure in '04. For Damon's signing with the Yanks we got they're pick ( Used for Dan Bard, who is in AA currently) and a sandwich pick used on Kris Johnson. I'm going 100% off of what I'm reading over at Soxprospects.com, but they're way more reliable than EEI, for what it's worth.

Sure, their is risk with every prospect, and the Sox HAVE had good success hitting on first rounders in recent years. I can't really speak to whether Theo would prefer prospect X over 2 picks, but typically you have a better handle on how a guy projects at the double or triple A level than out of high school.

FWIW, I hope they keep him anyway.

Edit: Okay, Roy stole all my thunder. I have been shamed and will now be signing off.

« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2008, 08:38:34 PM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
the Manny who cried "wolf"

wake me if something actually happens
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)