Author Topic: Celtics (1-1) at Hornets (0-2) Preseason Game #3 10/7/22  (Read 11988 times)

Re: Celtics (1-1) at Hornets (0-2) Preseason Game #3 10/7/22
« Reply #135 on: October 08, 2022, 08:17:38 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 998
Saw some highlights, and I’d like to talk about Grant’s improved ballhandling.  He’s flashed it a few times during the preseason, but that and-1 he drew against a good defender in Mason Plumlee off a really nice hesitation dribble in the half-court was eye-opening.  If he can create some shots for himself at times, rather than just parking in the corner, that will really help when he’s on the court in the 1-J lineups.

« Reply #136 on: October 08, 2022, 08:56:29 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
(Preach)tchard-Layman pick and pop action. The stuff garbage time dreams are made of.
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #137 on: October 08, 2022, 09:28:34 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1501
Saw some highlights, and I’d like to talk about Grant’s improved ballhandling.  He’s flashed it a few times during the preseason, but that and-1 he drew against a good defender in Mason Plumlee off a really nice hesitation dribble in the half-court was eye-opening.  If he can create some shots for himself at times, rather than just parking in the corner, that will really help when he’s on the court in the 1-J lineups.

It’s good that he’s working on his ball handling skills, but I’m not too interested in seeing Grant try to take opposing players off the dribble. Feel like that’s going to end badly more often than not.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #138 on: October 08, 2022, 10:39:15 AM »

Online Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 985
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

It’s good that he’s working on his ball handling skills, but I’m not too interested in seeing Grant try to take opposing players off the dribble. Feel like that’s going to end badly more often than not.
I have no problem with Grant taking a jab step or spin move where he uses his bulk to overpower the defender.
He does not need to dribble too much to have moves around the basket. .

« Reply #139 on: October 08, 2022, 10:54:19 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 891

I have no problem with Grant taking a jab step or spin move where he uses his bulk to overpower the defender.
He does not need to dribble too much to have moves around the basket. .

I think it is more about having another option.  With his now dangerous 3Pt shooting, defenders are going to rush out at him.  The counter move is pump fake and drive to the hoop.  You need to dribble to do that.  Once you drive, the defense will collapse opening up all sorts of things but to date, Grant has not been all that effective at that point.  You either need to dribble to a spot and make a shot, make a move off the dribble, or dish off.

This is absolutely what he should be working on.  Teams are going to be trying to take the 3 away from him now.  He needs to have a counter move.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2022, 11:30:07 AM by Vermont Green »

« Reply #140 on: October 09, 2022, 04:45:22 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3142
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Vonley may have earned a roster spot with that performance. He is very switchable on defense, and really rebounds  well.  I'd rather see him get back up minutes at the 5 than Griffin.

14/13 tonight, pretty solid. If he can put up those numbers or even something like 10/12 a night that would be tremendous. We need boards.
I wouldn't hold my breath about Noah Vonleh becoming a walking double-double for us.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #141 on: October 09, 2022, 10:51:30 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2991
Chicken Little here ….

I guess I can walk safely outside today  ;)

« Reply #142 on: October 09, 2022, 11:23:56 AM »

Online Phantom255x

• Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3089
  • On To Banner 18!
I honestly can't believe NHL and NBA are starting within the next 10 days.

Not complaining but wow it really feels like August and September just flew by lol. I can barely even remember September tbh
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #143 on: October 09, 2022, 01:36:35 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

It has in the past. But players can definitely develop that skill as their career goes on; he seems to be athletic enough to make it work. And if he can do it he’s a lot more valuable.

« Reply #144 on: October 09, 2022, 06:01:52 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2991
I honestly can't believe NHL and NBA are starting within the next 10 days.

Not complaining but wow it really feels like August and September just flew by lol. I can barely even remember September tbh

Time flys when you having fun  ;D