Author Topic: Brandon Ingram -45 in worst loss in Lakers history  (Read 4759 times)

Re: Brandon Ingram -45 in worst loss in Lakers history
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2017, 10:05:36 PM »

Online trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 621
Those rookie power ranking need to be adjusted for playing time or something.

Ingram is top 5 on nba.com, I think, but just look more closely - 54th out of 69 rookies this year in win shares

Jaylen at a reasonable 16th, especially given that shooting is not his strength.

For PER for rookies with at least 500 minutes:

Jaylen 7th, Ingram 15th
win shares are based on team wins and are thus a terrible measure for most things

fair enough.

but that's not quite the whole story. 12 rookies whose teams have won fewer games than the Lakers, have higher win shares.

When he plays, it's less likely the Lakers win.

That's why I'm saying he does not belong the Rookie power rankings... he's just getting a lot of minutes - the most in the league - but that doesn't mean he's powerful, at all.. (yet)
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2017, 10:10:18 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
He's super young and physically underdeveloped.  It's gonna take him some time, which is what was expected when he was drafted.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2017, 10:21:11 PM »

Online trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 621
He's super young and physically underdeveloped.  It's gonna take him some time, which is what was expected when he was drafted.

I know, I still think he will be a multi-year all-star eventually. I'm just saying he doesn't belong in the power rankings. It annoys me.

Scott HOward-Cooper on NBA.com has him at 9.

That just seems crazy to me. I have no other gripe with anyone in his top 10, including Isaiah whitehead, and Andrew Harrison, but Ingram? Er no. Maybe just only in the top 20.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2017, 10:51:47 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1793
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Ingram has started to play somewhat better recently.  In January, he's averaging 11.5 pts, 4.2 reb and 2.5 ast with shooting percentages of 46.2/43.8/62.2.  Not surprising that a 19 year old rookie would struggle and be inconsistent.

TP - it's easy to look at his season as a whole (and today's game) and be 'relieved' we didn't take him, but his January stats have been strong and he is showing progression, which is all that can really be asked of him right now.

That being said, even though I wanted him before the draft, I have become less of a fan - I believe his body will eventually come into form, but he doesn't quite look to have it all going on upstairs (maybe that is just coming from watching so much of Jaylen).

It's so difficult to project what many of these young guys will do. I am happy to have Jaylen, but wish he had Ingram's length and shooting range.

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2017, 02:09:24 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
@pho

agreed

« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2017, 02:23:35 AM »

Offline alewilliam789

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 76
Wasn't KD also part of historically bad games in his early years. I say it take three years to see 1/2 a guys potential.
he was always pretty good but shot like 40% as a rookie
I see a Lakers team that isn't close to ready to play in the NBA. We have to treat them as a "Process" team.

Well they aren't even a process team because unless they get a top 3 pick it's Phillys

« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2017, 02:51:02 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 562
Ingram has started to play somewhat better recently.  In January, he's averaging 11.5 pts, 4.2 reb and 2.5 ast with shooting percentages of 46.2/43.8/62.2.  Not surprising that a 19 year old rookie would struggle and be inconsistent.

TP - it's easy to look at his season as a whole (and today's game) and be 'relieved' we didn't take him, but his January stats have been strong and he is showing progression, which is all that can really be asked of him right now.

That being said, even though I wanted him before the draft, I have become less of a fan - I believe his body will eventually come into form, but he doesn't quite look to have it all going on upstairs (maybe that is just coming from watching so much of Jaylen).

It's so difficult to project what many of these young guys will do. I am happy to have Jaylen, but wish he had Ingram's length and shooting range.
I still expect Ingram to be the better pro.  He's nearly a full year younger than Brown.  He's a gym rat and was mentored by Jerry Stackhouse so he knows what it takes to succeed in the NBA. 

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2017, 06:04:42 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 613

I still expect Ingram to be the better pro.  He's nearly a full year younger than Brown.  He's a gym rat and was mentored by Jerry Stackhouse so he knows what it takes to succeed in the NBA.

Exum was also younger than Smart. Look who's having a better career so far. It's not like Brown is a finished product either nor he lacks the work ethic.

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2017, 06:46:51 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1562
Those rookie power ranking need to be adjusted for playing time or something.

Ingram is top 5 on nba.com, I think, but just look more closely - 54th out of 69 rookies this year in win shares

Jaylen at a reasonable 16th, especially given that shooting is not his strength.

For PER for rookies with at least 500 minutes:

Jaylen 7th, Ingram 15th
win shares are based on team wins and are thus a terrible measure for most things

God forbid the Celtics ever have a better prospect
Jaylen has played better than Brandon thus far this season, but if you are basing it on win shares, which you know are based on team wins, you don't help your argument since Boston has way more wins than Los Angeles.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2017, 08:32:43 AM »

Offline OhioGreen

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 55
Though a diehard C's fan of 60 years, I'm also a DFS player, and watch alot of west coast BB games.  I've watched a bunch of Lakers games, and right now, I'd take Ingram over Jaylen hands down!  He's gonna be a big star down the road.  Sure, he's going to have bad games, some really bad, but just the game before(against Pacers), he was outstanding.  Most importantly, he's playing big minutes--good or bad, and that's the key to players developing to their full potential, IMO.  Always thought the "they have to earn it in practice" was a bunch of bull!  Minutes in real games, and minutes in practice as so far apart!  In the same manner that you see a reserves weaknesses when he plays starters minutes, you see true potential of rookies when they play big minutes!
It may take Jaylen 2/3 years to get the same amount of minutes Ingram will get this year alone.  By the time this year ends we're gonna have a pretty darn good idea of how Ingrams talent will play out in the future, while Jaylen will still be a question mark this, and maybe even next year.
Some coaches are just not great at developing young talent, and some are in the wrong position to do it. Doc and BS have both been in the unenviable position to be expected to win and develope talent at the same time.  Most coaches can't do it.  Neither of them has been successful at it.  Popovich has.  He plays his young guys meaningful minutes right from the start of every season, and I believe why so many of his bench players end up playing really well when they move on to other teams!
Anyway, just my two cents, as I was kinda surprised Ingram was getting trashed because of this bad game!  He's gonna be great, and I hope Jaylen will get there too, someday!  Just think it will be alot harder for him with very limited minutes.