Author Topic: rj all but shutdown keven martin  (Read 1558 times)

rj all but shutdown keven martin
« on: December 23, 2015, 07:06:24 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
this was a exceptional piece of defence for the rookie,martin made one shot, a 3 all game
-martin had 16pts in his last game and 17avg for career
rj cut off his right hand and blocked 2 shots with his length as well as forcing a turnover -
and the two backdoors were textbook
the rookie played like a vet-

« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 07:40:12 AM by rollie mass »

Re: rj all but shutdown keven martin
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2015, 07:51:18 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1826
Just keep in mind that Martin is shooting 37% for the year, so nothing to really boast about. Not that it doesn't mean that RJ may have not played good defense on him, but shutting down Kevin Martin is not all that's cracked up to be this year.

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2015, 08:33:26 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
it was the way he disected him at both ends-his two blocks using length and length bothering any penetration,footwork and positioning on defense and attention rj was getting on his routes-rj is sly like a fox-did you see him talking to ref about his ealier foul-he is learning what he can and can't get away with-
when i used to play a great scorer would get his points but we would work on shutting down a double digit guy that we could,martin scored 10pts below this years avg and 13less than he scored on nets-i am watching the game now for the third time-rj just got a rebound and then a quick long pass up to jerebko -the ball doesn't stick with rj

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2015, 09:04:46 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
I'm really impressed with RJ.  All the kids really look good.  Brad and his staff are doing a helluva job.

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2015, 09:36:31 AM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232
RJ is much more than just a shooter, which he was labeled coming out of the late 1st round. He can deff shoot, and has a lightning quick release, but his BBIQ is really high.

The thing that's impressed me the most about RJ so far is how well-rounded his game is. He's a much better defender than I thought he was gonna be, he uses his length very well and has great instincts on that side of the ball. His rebounding skills are quite good for a 6'5 guard who weighs 180 pounds on a good day. Plus, he's shown a keen passing eye and reasonable ball-handling ability that makes me think he may be able to run the offense some in the future.

He really does look like a vet out there sometimes. Doesn't make ridiculously stupid plays, takes shots he's meant to take. I love him, I think he could very well be our future 2 guard.

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2015, 09:50:13 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2679
  • bammokja
RJ is much more than just a shooter, which he was labeled coming out of the late 1st round. He can deff shoot, and has a lightning quick release, but his BBIQ is really high.

The thing that's impressed me the most about RJ so far is how well-rounded his game is. He's a much better defender than I thought he was gonna be, he uses his length very well and has great instincts on that side of the ball. His rebounding skills are quite good for a 6'5 guard who weighs 180 pounds on a good day. Plus, he's shown a keen passing eye and reasonable ball-handling ability that makes me think he may be able to run the offense some in the future.

He really does look like a vet out there sometimes. Doesn't make ridiculously stupid plays, takes shots he's meant to take. I love him, I think he could very well be our future 2 guard.
i agree. i was surprised at well he understands the game and makes such good decisions on both offense and defense. better than i thought.

as for his shooting, ha, ha...yes, it will probably come around, but for now it isnt there. when he does develop his shooting he will be an interesting player.

sometimes i think CBS will have players spend an entire season working on one or two aspects of their game, developing themselves step by step. young worked on defense and is now credible. perhaps CBS sees that hunter can shoot and lets him develop other abilities. just a guess.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2015, 09:50:34 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1836
The more these young guys develop their games (Hunter, Crowder, maybe Young), the harder it will be for me if the C's give them up in a trade, even a blockbuster.  You get attached to them.  I HATED giving up Big Al for KG, but business is business.

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2015, 11:33:50 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
several times on defending a driver or on fast break i have seen him fall away from contact while his length has disrupted the shooter,even if they scored they were "wow good defence" try's-
he penetrates and hits open man,jerebko or causes some mis direction and curls it back to zeller-two nice assists ,has active hands that stripped wiggins and then the forced turnover on a drive to basket or martins floater in lane was forced by rj's length too fall just short then 2 blocks and two backdoors-all in the day of a rookie,almost forgot that half court shot
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 12:32:02 PM by rollie mass »

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2015, 09:46:07 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
RJ is everything you want in a 3&D guard. D's up, makes shots, scores on cuts, makes great passes, most importantly doesn't make errors.

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2015, 10:02:04 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2991
RJ is the kind of player that could stick with Celtics .  He is schooled so well fundamentally .

Knocking down shots will come with more minutes to build confidence he can be a scorer in the NBA .

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2015, 10:35:35 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
May well have drafted a future NBA starter at 28. Kid is impressive.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2015, 10:35:48 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 628
People keep saying Stauskas will get his shot back soon..
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.