Author Topic: Sign KJ McDaniels?  (Read 2900 times)

Sign KJ McDaniels?
« on: June 17, 2015, 08:36:35 AM »

Offline celticsfan8591

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38
Does anyone else think we should go after KJ McDaniels?  I think he's a potential steal; he got off to a great start last year, went through a shooting slump, and then got traded to Houston and buried on the bench because they couldn't afford to give an inconsistent rookie playing time in important games.  On a young team like ours though, he could get consistent playing time, and that could do wonders for his confidence.  He showed how valuable he can be when he's knocking down shots; it seems like a worthwhile gamble to me to sign him and see if we can help him re-discover his stroke.  Considering that Houston likely wants to preserve cap flexibility for next offseason, I doubt it would take much to sign a guy who doesn't play away from them.  McDaniels strikes me as a very good alternative to drafting Rondae Hollis-Jefferson; he has a very similar skillset, has shown he can play at an NBA level (at least when he is making shots), and he could be had for fairly little.  Thoughts?

Re: Sign KJ McDaniels?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2015, 08:53:17 AM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
RHJ is a SF and Daniels, at this point, is a SG due to being thin. 

I LOVE KJ and would love to see us pursue him.  He can be an ELITE defender very soon.  He just needs to develop consistent outside range.

Smitty77

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2015, 09:02:22 AM »

Offline krumeto

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 72
He is a good back-up plan, if we do not draft/sign any better wings. Potential to be a very good 3&D wing (his form is good, the results will be better with time). A bit too small for a full-time SF.

Would the Rockets match something in the lines of 4 years/15 mil?

"We do so many defensive drills in practice, I come home and I'm putting the press on my woman, denying her the ball.
Y'all are laughing, but it's sad. I go home and deny the wing."

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2015, 09:16:35 AM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
He is a good back-up plan, if we do not draft/sign any better wings. Potential to be a very good 3&D wing (his form is good, the results will be better with time). A bit too small for a full-time SF.

Would the Rockets match something in the lines of 4 years/15 mil?

Probably not.

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2015, 09:20:33 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2673
  • bammokja
RHJ is a SF and Daniels, at this point, is a SG due to being thin. 

I LOVE KJ and would love to see us pursue him.  He can be an ELITE defender very soon.  He just needs to develop consistent outside range.

Smitty77
good points. in mcdaniels' first year in the nba he shot under 30% from 3 point range. and in college he shot in the very low 30%s.

if you want to make a living as a sg in the nba, it would be very helpful to be able to, you know, shoot.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2015, 09:23:24 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
No. Not a consistent shooter. 

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2015, 10:15:47 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2435
I think he is a restricted free agent. I'd expect Houston to match any small offer sheet. So I don't think he'd be cheap. I think a short term say two year $6 million deal gets matched.

I think a medium type contract offer might put them off -- make it more difficult for them to put together their supporting cast and stay under cap. I think the figure mentioned above (4 years, $15 million) is probably about right for the zone where Houston would be iffy about matching the deal.

I don't really like giving so much money to a player who has shown so little (man defense, rebounding, hustle plays) and needs to improve considerably (team defense, jump-shooting) just to become a viable rotation player.

With such a player, I'd rather give them short money than be locked into them for a full 4 years. Maybe if the last year was a team option. 3 years guaranteed money. I'd prefer a 2 years guaranteed and team option 3rd year. Even at same money ($15mil over 3yrs rather than 4yrs). I prefer the wiggle room (in cap flexibility) in lesser over lower dollars per annum.

He wouldn't be in my first range of targets but if other guys fall through (like Greg Monroe), I'd be happy to look at McDaniels as a fall-back option.

His availability in FA would not effect my draft choices (of RHJ) since (1) there are other guys I would prioritize over McDaniels in free agency so if they are available we might not even be able to offer McDaniels a contract (2) he is restricted free agent anyway so it is possible Houston match a mid-sized deal. Definitely not comfortable giving him a big contract that Houston would definitely not match. Hasn't shown enough.

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2015, 10:32:27 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I think he is a restricted free agent. I'd expect Houston to match any small offer sheet. So I don't think he'd be cheap. I think a short term say two year $6 million deal gets matched.

I think a medium type contract offer might put them off -- make it more difficult for them to put together their supporting cast and stay under cap. I think the figure mentioned above (4 years, $15 million) is probably about right for the zone where Houston would be iffy about matching the deal.

I don't really like giving so much money to a player who has shown so little (man defense, rebounding, hustle plays) and needs to improve considerably (team defense, jump-shooting) just to become a viable rotation player.

With such a player, I'd rather give them short money than be locked into them for a full 4 years. Maybe if the last year was a team option. 3 years guaranteed money. I'd prefer a 2 years guaranteed and team option 3rd year. Even at same money ($15mil over 3yrs rather than 4yrs). I prefer the wiggle room (in cap flexibility) in lesser over lower dollars per annum.

He wouldn't be in my first range of targets but if other guys fall through (like Greg Monroe), I'd be happy to look at McDaniels as a fall-back option.

His availability in FA would not effect my draft choices (of RHJ) since (1) there are other guys I would prioritize over McDaniels in free agency so if they are available we might not even be able to offer McDaniels a contract (2) he is restricted free agent anyway so it is possible Houston match a mid-sized deal. Definitely not comfortable giving him a big contract that Houston would definitely not match. Hasn't shown enough.

I think you're wrong about Houston's willingness/ability to match, Who.  Barring trades, they won't really have cap space.  So they'll have the MLE and BAE.  They're rumored to be planning to use the MLE on Sergio Llull (a draft and stash PG in Spain).  This means that they could only sign McDaniels to either his offer sheet or a contract that fit under the parameters of the BAE (2-year deal worth $2.14 mil in year one).  If Ainge wants to offer more than what the BAE is, or Houston uses that for some other purpose, McDaniels is very much signable.

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2015, 10:40:43 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2435

I think you're wrong about Houston's willingness/ability to match, Who.  Barring trades, they won't really have cap space.  So they'll have the MLE and BAE.  They're rumored to be planning to use the MLE on Sergio Llull (a draft and stash PG in Spain).  This means that they could only sign McDaniels to either his offer sheet or a contract that fit under the parameters of the BAE (2-year deal worth $2.14 mil in year one).  If Ainge wants to offer more than what the BAE is, or Houston uses that for some other purpose, McDaniels is very much signable.

So Houston have to use their MLE to keep McDaniels?

I did not know that.

In that case, he's gone. Surely.

Houston need immediate help to make a title challenge. They cannot afford to lose that MLE on the likes of KJ McDaniels (raw wing player) who could not even crack their rotation.

Okay, that makes me much more interested in going after him since he'd likely be available at a lower dollar figure. So $2.5 - $3.0 million a year should be enough to get him. Boston with all their young players and good coach who plays a deep bench would be an attractive situation for a work-in-progress player like McDaniels. Very good chance of him picking Boston without Boston needing to overpay him.

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2015, 10:43:21 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

I did not know that.

Houston need immediate help to make a title challenge. They cannot afford to lose that MLE on the likes of KJ McDaniels (raw wing player) who could not even crack their rotation.

Okay, that makes me much more interested in going after him since he'd likely be available at a lower dollar figure.

Yeah, since he's only in his first year, they don't have Early Bird rights, so their options are very limited without cap room.  This is how we lost Stiemsma, since we had no way of matching his offer from Minnesota.

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2015, 10:52:03 AM »

Offline celticsfan8591

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38

I did not know that.

Okay, that makes me much more interested in going after him since he'd likely be available at a lower dollar figure. So $2.5 - $3.0 million a year should be enough to get him. Boston with all their young players and good coach who plays a deep bench would be an attractive situation for a work-in-progress player like McDaniels. Very good chance of him picking Boston without Boston needing to overpay him.

Yeah, Bird rights don't apply to McDaniels because he's been in the league less than three years, so anything the Rockets pay McDaniels comes out of one of their exceptions.  Additionally, the Rockets not having Bird rights means that we could theoretically offer a poison pill contract (similar to the ones used by, ironically, the Rockets to get Asik and Lin) that would ruin their cap space in a few years when the cap increases.