Author Topic: What i've learned from watching the Nets this year.  (Read 7085 times)

Re: What i've learned from watching the Nets this year.
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2014, 08:28:49 AM »

Offline MISSERY

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 12
What I've learned from watching the Nets this season, specifically this post season...

1. KG's career is over.
2. Pierce can still ball but needs to sign somewhere where he'll have an actual shot at getting another ring. Even with Lopez, Nets can't contend.
3. 90 games in and Jason Kidd still has no idea how to coach this team (The fact that he'll probably be keeping his job and Mark Jackson will not makes my head spin).
4. Deron Williams should not even be mentioned in the same breath as elite point guards like CP3 and Tony Parker.
5. Joe Johnson can still get it done but really does not mesh well with Pierce.
6. Kirilenko was a really overrated signing.
7. Marcus Thornton is vastly overpaid.
8. Livingston, Anderson and Teletovic are alright but should not be playing as much as they are.
9. Plumlee will be really good. Nets are lucky to have him and Lopez as their young front court moving forward.
10. Blatche is meh. Don't know how much attention he'll get in the free agent market.
11. Again, Jason Kidd has no business coaching in the NBA.

That's a pretty good list .

I just conclude the Celtics would have been about the same or worse as this years Nets without the trade out .  KG is just too old and slow.

Lastly I think Lopez would have have made a big difference this year.   But by next year ,  KG is retired and PP will be just a shell of himself and even Joe Johnson is looking long in the tooth at this point.,  just a shooter .

Please no more lets get Blatche. Threads ...he sucks.

kg was getting paid big money, yes already got a lot of money but playing only 15 to 19 minutes a game? hell yeah i'd come back,

he wants reggie to stay before the rumors that evans was going to the celtics, why? because evans is a pure hustler bruiser rebounder

and if kg saw a good big man line-up until lopez comes back mid-season, because i'm sure that with j-kidd even lopez ccan play already, he might probably play at mid-season

lets reverse it, kg would not think of retiring as celtics if danny ainge acquired a good back-up center or a legit starting center and move kg to pf, doc would probably moved kg back to pf with a legit starting center,
this is the problem is nets GM billy king, with the owner willing to spend money all they want is to sell jersey and the 1st team to sign an openly gay player
if they pushed through jordan hill, it will definitely help a lot

« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2014, 09:10:38 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I disagree that Blatche is meh. He is solid on the boards, in transition, ball handling and around the bucket. Plums has had his moments but he's not playing well right now. KG isn't the answer either. Nets have to go to Blatche, Teletovic as their big man tandem. Then rotate PP, JJ, Deron, Livingston and sprinkle AA, KG, Plums and  Marcus.

As a team, they're way too fragile / inconsistent to win the series ... but if the right guys get hot and Kidd pulls the right strings they can maybe make it interesting. Glad they at least get the shot. Not sure if the Raps woulda been the tougher out ...

I echo your disagreement. I think Blatched has been playing alot better for Brooklyn that just "meh."

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2014, 09:23:11 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25589
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
KG is a shell of his former self, but I'll give him this:  Even at his advanced age, he led the league (among players who played 500+ minutes) in defensive rebounding percentage.

It stinks seeing the greats break down, but KG still has the heart of a warrior.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2014, 09:39:06 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
KG is a shell of his former self, but I'll give him this:  Even at his advanced age, he led the league (among players who played 500+ minutes) in defensive rebounding percentage.

It stinks seeing the greats break down, but KG still has the heart of a warrior.

i'd rather see a guy retire than struggle to hold onto something they just don't have any more. it's tough watching KG these days.

pierce can still go imo. it's unfortunate but eventually I think pierce is going to have to be dragged off the court.

« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2014, 09:44:02 AM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
I learned or already knew.  Doc poorly mismanaged kg and pierce in the last two years.

« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2014, 07:48:05 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
I want Andray Blatche no where near our future young core, if we're a veteran contending team thats maybe one piece away, maybe.  The guy is a knucklehead who has never taken his job seriously.  Yes he gets away with natural talent and puts up some good numbers but his work ethic has always been horrid.  He put up decent numbers in Washington and was routinely boo'd when he came in and out of games because he was such a distraction and the epitome of what that team was trying to rid itself of.

Greg

« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2014, 08:30:37 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343
Way too hard on KG, guys.

He loses the individual battles and he can't score much any more. That happens when you get old. The Nets have still played great defense when KG is on the court, despite the fact that he usually spends his shifts doing his job and covering for an undersized 4. As mentioned before, KG is also still fighting under the basket and coming up with more than his share of defensive rebounds.

I get it, KG was a magnificent player and you miss it. The KG-is-dead-and-useless talk is really surprising, though, from a group that would expect to have a special appreciation for KG's length, his still-intact smarts, his still-active mouth, and his wily-dirty game.

« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2014, 05:08:53 AM »

Offline MISSERY

• Jaylen Brown

He loses the individual battles and he can't score much any more. That happens when you get old. The Nets have still played great defense when KG is on the court, despite the fact that he usually spends his shifts doing his job and covering for an undersized 4. As mentioned before, KG is also still fighting under the basket and coming up with more than his share of defensive rebounds.

I get it, KG was a magnificent player and you miss it. The KG-is-dead-and-useless talk is really surprising, though, from a group that would expect to have a special appreciation for KG's length, his still-intact smarts, his still-active mouth, and his wily-dirty game.

every-time kg sits, nets defense are awful, i can see kg giving you 10 below rebounds and 15 below points, but... d-will needs 10+ assist

kg can go to pelicans with davis or kings with cousins and anchor the defense

« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2014, 06:26:39 AM »

Offline Rhyso

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 37

TP.

I think his low minutes have made him a target his "poor performance" on the stats sheet. KG always talks about rhythm, and i image playing under 20mpg would all but destroy any flow to his game after all those years of playing 30+ minutes. Then everyone expects KG to dominate, when he is still only playing HALF A GAME. Unless there is something we don't know and he isn't physically capable of playing 30 minutes in the playoffs, then i find it infuriating that people are saying he is done. I think this comes down to coach Kidd being a dud coach, and doesn't understand how KG works. PLAY HIM!!

« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2014, 06:45:06 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
What I've learned:   Had we kept KG and Pierce, we probably would have made the playoffs this year. 

Even as washed up ancients, they still probably would have ruined our tank job

« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2014, 08:14:10 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2988
They can still play well, but the minutes of consistent effort or result keeps dropping by the month as they age.

They just can't turn in monster games for stretches anymore.   Just flashes of their past here and there .

Celtics would be same or worse than Nets. 

« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2014, 08:57:18 AM »

Offline MISSERY

• Jaylen Brown
if the nets acquired a good back center while lopez rest his knee like mozgov they will be fine, kg can rest a lot, while both plumlee and mozzy develops

even its over the tax limit, they need one, he will replace collins
and they need a descent back-up PG, would not mind working out on arenas or telfair or gibson as pg's

maybe guitterez or teague out one of them, the other concern is ak47 staying or not, since many of them can play SF, a 3rd guy like a. randolph is fine

« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2014, 10:01:03 AM »

Offline RRNoLookPass

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 15

that's pretty accurate. while I haven't watched a lot of nets games this yr. I have watched some.

KG is a shell of himself. I almost wish pierce hadn't convinced him to play another year... almost.

I disagree with 2. I think lopez dramatically changes this team.

I've thought D. Will has been overrated for yrs. hard to believe some said this guy was better than rondo at one point.

funny you mention pierce and Johnson meshing as that was the reason pitino traded Johnson.

kirilenko, I have no idea what the hell happened to this guy but the last 6 - 7 yrs. he's been employed on reputation alone.

#8, classic example of role players being asked to do too much.

That is the exaggeration of the century. Kirilenko has been a starting-caliber SF for his entire career. He has been employed for the past decade because he is a versatile forward who plays excellent defense and knows his role. Even last season in Minnesota, Kirilenko played well. This season was the first time in his career where he has struggled to be productive on the court, but it seems like the injury issues he has dealt with all season have a lot to do with that. But regardless, I give him a lot of credit for opting out of a $10m season in Minny to play for a contender at a fraction of the price (Even if Prokhorov really did slip him some extra greenbacks under the table like everyone thought in the offseason haha.)

« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2014, 01:08:31 PM »

Offline Timdawgg

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 623

that's pretty accurate. while I haven't watched a lot of nets games this yr. I have watched some.

KG is a shell of himself. I almost wish pierce hadn't convinced him to play another year... almost.

I've thought D. Will has been overrated for yrs. hard to believe some said this guy was better than rondo at one point.

funny you mention pierce and Johnson meshing as that was the reason pitino traded Johnson.

kirilenko, I have no idea what the hell happened to this guy but the last 6 - 7 yrs. he's been employed on reputation alone.

That is the exaggeration of the century. Kirilenko has been a starting-caliber SF for his entire career. He has been employed for the past decade because he is a versatile forward who plays excellent defense and knows his role. Even last season in Minnesota, Kirilenko played well. This season was the first time in his career where he has struggled to be productive on the court, but it seems like the injury issues he has dealt with all season have a lot to do with that. But regardless, I give him a lot of credit for opting out of a $10m season in Minny to play for a contender at a fraction of the price (Even if Prokhorov really did slip him some extra greenbacks under the table like everyone thought in the offseason haha.)

Technically they probably weren't greenbacks. Probably roubles.  Lol. 
A winner is someone who recognizes his God-given talents, works his tail off to develop them into skills, and uses these skills to accomplish his goals.

Push yourself again and again. Don't give an inch until the final buzzer sounds.

Larry Bird

« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2014, 06:56:46 PM »

Offline RRNoLookPass

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 15

Technically they probably weren't greenbacks. Probably roubles.  Lol.

Haha yes, this is true.