Author Topic: Rondo, Avery, Stephenson and the future?  (Read 2779 times)

Rondo, Avery, Stephenson and the future?
« on: January 20, 2014, 09:03:26 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 422
With all the talk of trading Rondo and the threads about resigning AB or going after stephenson I had this thought.

I Rondo is traded (for better of worse) and enough $$ is freed up by the deal how flawed would a Stephenson + AB back court be?

Both are combo guards but counter intuitively the small Bradley is more SG then then much large Stephenson.

This Season stats

Stephenson 35min 14pts 11FGA 5.1 assists 2.6 TO
Bradley    32min 15pts 14FGA 1.4 assiss  1.7 TO
Crawford   30min 14pts 12FGA 5.7 assists 2.2 TO

(I included crawford because thats the role Lance would be filling)

Now Stephenson much like james harden in his last year in OKC is playing a secondary role on offense. If signed to start for the CS he would see his role change. Harden saw his per 40 stats jump up 6pts per game on 7 more FGA and his Assists jump 1.4 with 1.2 more TOs. A similare jump would put Stephenson at..

20pts per game 6 assists to go with his 6rb per.

This stat line plus decent ability to hit the 3 would make he and AB a nice statistical combo. Add to that they will both only  be 24 next season and are a great defensive combo and I think this back court could be successful.

Stephenson, AB, Sully and fingers crossed Parker, Wiggins or Embiid would be a very nice core moving forward.

Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

Re: Rondo, Avery, Stephenson and the future?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 09:18:51 AM »

fitzhickey

how would they all coexist minutes wise?

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 09:21:54 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker

My thread is based on Rondo being traded. Stephenson and AB would be starters with ideally a 3pt shooting combo guard backup.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2014, 09:25:00 AM »

fitzhickey

My thread is based on Rondo being traded. Stephenson and AB would be starters with ideally a 3pt shooting combo guard backup.
I just don't know if many backcourts without a true PG would function, but the defense of those two would be formidable. I think the offense would suffer as a whole, as rondo makes the big guys life easier

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2014, 09:27:36 AM »

Offline paidthecost2betheboss

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 40
The Enigma. Has kept the pie hole shut during the Ray Allen departure, Doc Fiasco and Big 3 dismantle. He was oft mentioned in 2 of those events as a causal factor. He has not bitten.

Danny just invited him to sit on the throne by naming him the Captain of a storied franchise that Danny and Wyc want to return to Red's days. I'm amazed at how some folks seem to miss that.

If Rondo doesn't re-sign it is out of Danny's hands but he is courting him as we speak. I think the chance of Rondo leaving is really 100% in his hands now. Danny cannot be more respectful and will handle the re-up in a way that allows to build around Rondo like Lebron Wade and Bosh did. If R.R. can leave a bit for some more star power this is on... if he wants a deal structured regardless of how it affects the team he's choosing to leave himself and Danny will be appraised and act in the interest of the Celts but No way Rondo pulls a Howard.

So Rondo isn't going anywhere.

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2014, 09:54:11 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Neither of those guys is a point guard.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2014, 10:17:32 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker

I understand that. My point was who thinks they could function as a winning backcourt despite both being combo guards. With a well run offense and a team full of above average passers is a true point guard required?
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2014, 10:27:11 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

I understand that. My point was who thinks they could function as a winning backcourt despite both being combo guards. With a well run offense and a team full of above average passers is a true point guard required?

You would not have a well-run offense with those guys as your backcourt.

Avery is not an average passer.

Passers like Stephenson at the off-guard position are a nice complement to scoring point guards who are capable, but not exceptional, at running an offense.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2014, 10:44:16 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Both are combo guards but counter intuitively the small Bradley is more SG then then much large Stephenson.

Avery Bradley is not a combo guard, he is a 100% shooting guard.  Any plan that involves him functioning as a point guard occasionally is bound to fail.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference