Author Topic: No Brainer: Celtics Should Sign Jason Collins  (Read 10511 times)

Re: No Brainer: Celtics Should Sign Jason Collins
« Reply #45 on: November 09, 2013, 08:43:39 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
yup, Danny would have no brain if he signed Jason Collins

« Reply #46 on: November 09, 2013, 08:48:13 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think he would not add much.   He was good at spacing on defense and not much else.   I am sure he could teach Sully and Oly some things about spacing but we have assistants that can as well.   I just don't see a valid basketball reason to bring him in...

« Reply #47 on: November 09, 2013, 09:58:07 AM »

Offline beklog

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 64
Vitor can't even get some minutes for us playing Sully and KO at the 5 spot.. save the money, get a brain and don't sign Collins ;D
Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light… I just take pictures…

« Reply #48 on: November 10, 2013, 08:42:00 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
To all the people who responded and said something about the value of Jason Collins playing in actual games and suiting up in the regular rotation, I say this:

Next time, try reading the original post.

It's all about adding a leader and role model to the team, a guy who can show the young guys how to be professional and teach them about team and individual defense in the post.

Also, it's a major PR win for a team that is going to need positive storylines to distract from the ever present "tank, tank, tank" talk.

Of course we wouldn't want Jason actually getting regular minutes on the floor.  But frankly, nobody we add at this point is going to see the floor, either.  Kendall Marshall is not an NBA player guys.  Jason Collins, however, has proven that he belongs in this league.  It could not possibly hurt to bring him on so that he can show our young guys exactly how he has managed to remain in the league.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #49 on: November 10, 2013, 09:16:43 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
To all the people who responded and said something about the value of Jason Collins playing in actual games and suiting up in the regular rotation, I say this:

Next time, try reading the original post.

It's all about adding a leader and role model to the team, a guy who can show the young guys how to be professional and teach them about team and individual defense in the post.

Also, it's a major PR win for a team that is going to need positive storylines to distract from the ever present "tank, tank, tank" talk.

Of course we wouldn't want Jason actually getting regular minutes on the floor.  But frankly, nobody we add at this point is going to see the floor, either.  Kendall Marshall is not an NBA player guys.  Jason Collins, however, has proven that he belongs in this league.  It could not possibly hurt to bring him on so that he can show our young guys exactly how he has managed to remain in the league.

Ugh. The C's can't afford his vet salary, but even if they could, the last thing they need is a second veteran character guy who doesn't play on their roster.

If they need to augment their coaching, then they need to augment their coaching. But putting a washed up mediocrity on their roster for PR reasons is the last thing this team needs.

« Reply #50 on: November 10, 2013, 09:24:10 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

We have some vets that could do the same already on the team.   We have coaches to teach.  Why would we bring him in? 

I 'd rather see us hire Robert Parish to coach.   He was a much better player than Collins and better at every aspect of the game.

« Reply #51 on: November 10, 2013, 10:15:08 AM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 622
While we're at it, we should sign Cousy and Russell. If we're just looking for leadership and towel waiving, I can't think of 2 better guys.
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #52 on: November 10, 2013, 10:23:48 AM »

Offline sed522002

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 221
I agree with the other posters..no need of giving a roster spot just for leadership and PR purposes. We have coaches and veterans of our own for that.