Author Topic: How many years until we make the playoffs again?  (Read 4419 times)

Re: How many years until we make the playoffs again?
« Reply #45 on: June 24, 2013, 01:15:33 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Why?  Last time we won a title and built a contender it was due to Boston literally throwing games... benching players like Gomes late and force-feeding minutes to players like Gerald Green.  It was a blatant tank-job.  Best case scenario we would have gotten Kevin Durant (who Danny coveted) ... Worst case scenario you end up getting the #5 pick... and we know what Danny was able to do with that worst-case scenario.

Saying we were tanking by not playing Gomes enough is like saying next year's team would be tanking if they didn't play Jordan Crawford big minutes.
Tim... are you a pretty recent fan of the Celtics?  Are you familiar with Ryan Gomes?  It was a pretty big deal at the time for us Celtic fans.  Gomes was one of the only players on that team with any semblance of basketball IQ.  The guy was a worker... 4 years of college ball and actually knew what he was doing.  They asked him after one particular loss why he wasn't playing down the stretch and I'm paraphrasing, but he essentially admitted that the reason he didn't play was because winning was a priority.  He admitted to the team tanking.  Google it.  It happened.  It's the only reason I mention Gomes.

Here you go.  Were you around for this or did you just become a Celtic fan recently?

http://www.celticsblog.com/2007/4/14/642364/tanks-for-the-memories

"I probably (would have played), but since we were in the hunt for a high draft pick, of course things are different," Gomes said. "I understand that. Hopefully things get better. Now that we clinched at least having the second-most balls in the lottery, the last three games we'll see what happens. We'll see if we can go out and finish some games."

Sigh. Of course I was a fan then. I'm not saying that Gomes didn't claim that they held him out of games to lose them, just that you'd have to be something of a rube to buy that.

Just to put things into context, I followed that team closely enough to know that they got killed on the defensive end when Gomes was playing and he had one of the worst +/-'s on the entire team because of that, you followed them closely enough to know that he went to college for four years and was a hard worker.

« Reply #46 on: June 24, 2013, 06:12:36 AM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
How many years?
How can I answer to that? We don't know what would be our roster next season.
Can I answer that in September?

« Reply #47 on: June 24, 2013, 07:36:39 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I don't think Doc was that big of a difference maker.   He is as only as good as his players.    If we keep PP & KG, I think we might still make the playoffs.   Getting rid of them will be vital if we are in fact: tanking.

« Reply #48 on: June 24, 2013, 07:47:40 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
Three.  One year of tanking and then one year of pulling the new, young team together.

« Reply #49 on: June 24, 2013, 08:13:32 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 422
If DA trades KG and PP for assets this off-season then I expect the Cs to just miss the playoffs this up coming season. Next off-season I expect a quick flip of the accumulated assets for one all-star big (aldridge or Love). Then a return to the playoffs in 2014-2015
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #50 on: June 24, 2013, 08:16:12 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Hopefully a couple so we can acquire some decent assets via the draft.
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16