Author Topic: Gary Payton - Hall of Fame  (Read 3262 times)

Re: Gary Payton - Hall of Fame
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2013, 12:46:47 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
i never understood wat the fascination was wit gary payton. years ago wen i first heard his name i was under the impression that he was one of the all time celtic greats. turns out he was only a celtic for 77 games, and didnt even end his career in a celtic uniform. i got the same impression when i first heard of bill walton but by the time he came got to boston he was washed up and whack.

Don't know why you got that impression of GP, since he's mostly remembered as a Sonic, but Walton was an essential part of the 86 championship team, probably the most beloved and best Celtics team ever, until injuries caught up with him the next season.

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2013, 12:48:22 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
i never understood wat the fascination was wit gary payton. years ago wen i first heard his name i was under the impression that he was one of the all time celtic greats. turns out he was only a celtic for 77 games, and didnt even end his career in a celtic uniform. i got the same impression when i first heard of bill walton but by the time he came got to boston he was washed up and whack.

I always thought the fascination with Payton was based on his play for Seattle where he was one of the best defensive pgs of all time.

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2013, 12:49:58 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

I also was confused about the fascination with Shaq.  He played for us... seemed like he was solid enough, but was very injury prone.

/sarcasm
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2013, 12:52:07 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2989

I always thought the fascination with Payton was based on his play for Seattle where he was one of the best defensive pgs of all time.

that is correct...thats where he stood out .....he was at his best...  hands down...Payton was a shell of his former self at LA .  Him and the mailman were useless at LA   He was old and worn out time he got on the Lakers , used up .  They should have retired .

« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2013, 12:56:29 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 442
Payton was an alltime great, just not during his time with the Celtics.

« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2013, 01:01:10 PM »

Offline CelticD

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
Payton was an alltime great, just not during his time with the Celtics.

ya ya ya. this is wat i mean. i just thought he was known for bein a great celtic. he was known for bein a great sonic.

« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2013, 02:26:03 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Makes my all time punk team as well.

« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2013, 02:59:03 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
The Glove is one of my favorite all time non-Celtics.  I loved him on those mid-nineties Sonics teams, rooted for those guys to beat the Bulls almost as if I was rooting for the Celtics. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2013, 03:34:49 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1649
  • What a Pub Should Be
Loved those Payton/Kemp squads from the mid-90s. Fun bunch to watch.  Payton was a smoothering defender back in his heyday.

Wore an old school Sonics Kemp jersey to one of the day of Lolla last summer.  Lot of high fives.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team