Author Topic: Minnesota should pursue Dwight Howard  (Read 6688 times)

Re: Minnesota should pursue Dwight Howard
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2012, 11:10:23 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Now here the best trade idea ive seen in a while. I dont think Howard buys into staying in Minny though. What an excititng team that would be.

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2012, 11:16:42 PM »

Offline YouGotRondo d

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 26
False.

Minnesota should pursue Pau Gasol.

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2012, 05:54:22 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Everyone is going to pursue Howard that can.

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2012, 07:07:09 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2988
But LA will end up with him...."IF" they decide to trade off the new improved healthier Bynum.    I don't believe even LA can pull off Gasol for Howard...

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2012, 09:00:19 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1562
Minnesota is now up to 10-11 and not that far out of the playoffs (2 games back and only 3 games from the 5th seed).  If they added Dwight at this point of the season, they would easily make the playoffs (and would probably be a pretty high seed) and would be a very dangerous team. 

I still think a package centered around my initial trade idea is pretty good value for Dwight and makes sense for Minnesota on so many levels, even if Dwight is just a rental. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2012, 10:26:24 AM »

Offline Marcus13

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 119
hahahahaha you think Dwight Howard is going to sign an extension with the MINNESOTA TIMBERWOLVES!?

« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2012, 11:31:43 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
hahahahaha you think Dwight Howard is going to sign an extension with the MINNESOTA TIMBERWOLVES!?
perhaps you should actually read the thread before you post.  Would save us all time.

« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2012, 05:49:35 PM »

Offline mqtcelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 236
I think every team should have a thread about how they should pursue Dwight Howard.

Because honestly every team should.
Sure, but a lot of teams don't realistically have the pieces available to trade and to still pair with Dwight.  Minnesota is actually one of those teams.

If they didn't give up Love or Rubio, the Magic would be ridiculously stupid to accept that trade, unless all of Dwight's other suitors went away. Trading for a package centered around Wes Johnson and Michael Beasley or Derrick Williams would be a recipe for mediocrity.

« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2012, 10:15:16 AM »

Offline Q_FBE

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 243
You might laugh at me for this one - but how about Dwight Howard to Cleveland for Anderson Varejao and Antione Jamison?

Make Cleveland better with an opportunity to stick it to down state rival Miami.
The beatings will continue until morale improves

« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2012, 10:17:00 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I think every team should have a thread about how they should pursue Dwight Howard.

Sure, but a lot of teams don't realistically have the pieces available to trade and to still pair with Dwight.  Minnesota is actually one of those teams.

If they didn't give up Love or Rubio, the Magic would be ridiculously stupid to accept that trade, unless all of Dwight's other suitors went away. Trading for a package centered around Wes Johnson and Michael Beasley or Derrick Williams would be a recipe for mediocrity.
agreed...I guess they could get a Ridnour or JJ B or Martell....wouldn't matter much

« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2012, 03:49:49 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Sure, but a lot of teams don't realistically have the pieces available to trade and to still pair with Dwight.  Minnesota is actually one of those teams.

What other options do the Magic have?  And frankly, all three of those guys are recent top 4 picks - Williams #2 last year, Johnson #4 two years ago, and Beasley #2 in 2008.  That actually seems like pretty good value when you consider the position the Magic are in.  Throw in Pekovic, Randolph, Ellington, and  perhaps a draft pick and I don't see how that is a bad trade for the Magic.  Is it equal value, of course not, but it isn't pennies on the dollar either.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 04:03:26 PM by Moranis »

« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2012, 10:25:54 PM »

Offline mqtcelticsfan

• Bailey Howell

Sure, but a lot of teams don't realistically have the pieces available to trade and to still pair with Dwight.  Minnesota is actually one of those teams.

What other options do the Magic have?  And frankly, all three of those guys are recent top 4 picks - Williams #2 last year, Johnson #4 two years ago, and Beasley #2 in 2008.  That actually seems like pretty good value when you consider the position the Magic are in.  Throw in Pekovic, Randolph, Ellington, and  perhaps a draft pick and I don't see how that is a bad trade for the Magic.  Is it equal value, of course not, but it isn't pennies on the dollar either.

I don't like Andrew Bynum very much, but he's a much better option than any of those players. Beasley is an idiot, Johnson is awful and Williams seems pretty average. I think this would be the worst possible deal they could make.

« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2012, 04:11:34 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

I don't like Andrew Bynum very much, but he's a much better option than any of those players. Beasley is an idiot, Johnson is awful and Williams seems pretty average. I think this would be the worst possible deal they could make.
Pekovic is finally healthy and has become a double double machine and seems to be living up to the potential he has had.  At this point, Minnesota might be giving up too much with the proposal I made. 

The Lakers aren't going to trade Bynum for Howard unless they make serious other roster moves. 

« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2012, 06:20:49 PM »

Offline mqtcelticsfan

• Bailey Howell

Pekovic is finally healthy and has become a double double machine and seems to be living up to the potential he has had.  At this point, Minnesota might be giving up too much with the proposal I made. 

The Lakers aren't going to trade Bynum for Howard unless they make serious other roster moves. 

If Orlando got desperate and offered Dwight for Bynum and whatever bloated salary could make it work but wasn't important to the Lakers, LA makes the trade 100% of the time. The problem is that Orlando wants more from the Lakers than Bynum. Bynum by himself is probably more valuable than anything Minnesota can offer outside of Love and Rubio. Thus, Minnesota has seemingly no chance of obtaining Dwight.

Also, under no circumstance does Pekovic affect a team's decision to go after Dwight Howard. That's insane.

« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2012, 08:41:06 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

If Orlando got desperate and offered Dwight for Bynum and whatever bloated salary could make it work but wasn't important to the Lakers, LA makes the trade 100% of the time. The problem is that Orlando wants more from the Lakers than Bynum. Bynum by himself is probably more valuable than anything Minnesota can offer outside of Love and Rubio. Thus, Minnesota has seemingly no chance of obtaining Dwight.

Also, under no circumstance does Pekovic affect a team's decision to go after Dwight Howard. That's insane.
Pekovic wouldn't hold up the trade by any stretch, my point was only that with him playing so well that the offer I proposed initially essentially Williams, Beasley/Johnson, Pekovic, and Randolph/Ellington/Barea is a pretty darn good offer.  And while Bynum is better than any of those individual players, the Lakers have nothing else to offer so the Magic might actually be better with the 3/4 solid young players that they would get from the Wolves.  The Magic would also get rid of Hedo and his contract in the trade.