Author Topic: Injury Exemption?  (Read 4080 times)

Injury Exemption?
« on: December 17, 2010, 12:30:03 PM »

Offline CDawg834

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
With the injuries mounting up for this team, and only 9 players available for the 2nd half, I'm wondering if the Celtics are eligible for an injury exemption?  I know they expect some of these guys back pretty soon so maybe its a moot point.

Could someone more familiar with the rules clarify this?  Can they only get an exemption if one of the injured players is expected to be out for the season?

Re: Injury Exemption?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2010, 12:31:18 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Its very unlikely.  Generally these are not given unless guys are out for the season. 

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2010, 01:04:34 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
With the injuries mounting up for this team, and only 9 players available for the 2nd half, I'm wondering if the Celtics are eligible for an injury exemption?  I know they expect some of these guys back pretty soon so maybe its a moot point.

Could someone more familiar with the rules clarify this?  Can they only get an exemption if one of the injured players is expected to be out for the season?

the injury exemption only applies when a player suffers an injury that an independent doctor determines could sideline them for the entire season, and the injury occurs near the beginning of the season.  in this situation, a team is allowed to sign one player for up to half of the injured player's salary.

so no, the injury exemption does not apply to the celtics in any way.  so far this year it has applied to players like greg oden and udonis haslem, who suffered potentially season ending injuries early on.

one thing to note is that a player who suffers a potentially season ending injury isn't barred from returning to their team if the team used the injury exemption.  i believe alonso mourning once went out with what was considered a season ending kidney condition and the heat got an injury exemption, only to have alonso return towards the end of the regular season.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2010, 01:31:24 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2434
Isn't there also an exemption that allows a team to temporarily carry a 16th player on their roster if they have too many injuries?

I remember a few teams doing that over the past few seasons ... Golden State did it last season.

----------------------------------------------

Update: I looked it up and here is what the Warriors press release when they signed Reggie Williams

Golden State’s roster now stands at 16 players. The Warriors are able to add Williams to the roster under the NBA’s hardship rules, which allow a team the ability to sign an additional player if that team already has 15 players on its Active and Inactive Lists and has four-or-more players unable to perform playing services due to injury or illness for an extended period of time.

http://www.nba.com/warriors/news/warriors_sign_reggie_williams_030210.html

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2010, 01:49:59 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Isn't there also an exemption that allows a team to temporarily carry a 16th player on their roster if they have too many injuries?

I remember a few teams doing that over the past few seasons ... Golden State did it last season.

Update: I looked it up and here is what the Warriors press release when they signed Reggie Williams

Golden State’s roster now stands at 16 players. The Warriors are able to add Williams to the roster under the NBA’s hardship rules, which allow a team the ability to sign an additional player if that team already has 15 players on its Active and Inactive Lists and has four-or-more players unable to perform playing services due to injury or illness for an extended period of time.

The problem is, it is up to the league to grant it on a case by case basis.  Given that a couple of the C's injuries are more of the day to day nature, I don't think they would give this to the C's right now.  Although if anyone else went down, they might be a candidate. 

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2010, 02:29:21 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
We'd have to have 4 players suffering from the sort of injury Delonte is dealing with in order to qualify for the hardship rule.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2010, 02:40:42 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
We'd have to have 4 players suffering from the sort of injury Delonte is dealing with in order to qualify for the hardship rule.

We have Jermaine O'Neal suffering a Non-Contract-Year-I-Don't-Need-To-Play-Syndrome injury....

Does that qualify?

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2010, 02:55:40 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Stern would never help us out.  Forget it, he would not even give us cap relief for Reggie Lewis when he passed on.

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2010, 03:26:26 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!

We have Jermaine O'Neal suffering a Non-Contract-Year-I-Don't-Need-To-Play-Syndrome injury....

Does that qualify?

hahaha thanks for the laugh

Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2010, 03:38:38 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777

The problem is, it is up to the league to grant it on a case by case basis.  Given that a couple of the C's injuries are more of the day to day nature, I don't think they would give this to the C's right now.  Although if anyone else went down, they might be a candidate. 
I have to agree. Shaq could actually play if we weren't being cautious with him. Probably the same applies to JO. Perk, West, and Rondo might be the only guys who really can't play at the moment.

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2010, 04:02:02 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Its very unlikely.  Generally these are not given unless guys are out for the season. 
and unless the team is the Celtics (;)).
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2010, 04:05:33 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
and unless the team is the Celtics (;)).

You can't say that.....We got to activate the legendary Kevinn Pinkney from the D-League back when were were shamelessly tanking for Greg Oden.

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2010, 04:31:28 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

Does that qualify?

I'm not sure if that qualifies for the exemption, but JO is actually doing us a favour by allowing the team to develop Semih Erden.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2010, 04:35:47 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff

Does that qualify?

I'm not sure if that qualifies for the exemption, but JO is actually doing us a favour by allowing the team to develop Semih Erden.

LOL
That might be one of the most interesting spins I've ever heard.

I'm sure that's exactly what Jermaine is thinking.

TP....Thanks for the laugh.

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2010, 04:57:53 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315

Does that qualify?

LOL
That might be one of the most interesting spins I've ever heard.

I'm sure that's exactly what Jermaine is thinking.

TP....Thanks for the laugh.

Ha ha.  Now Rondo has really taken this team sacrifice thing too far--twisting his ankle so as to give Bradley some time to develop.