Author Topic: New York Knicks Sneaky Good Offseason  (Read 4865 times)

Re: New York Knicks Sneaky Good Offseason
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2010, 03:29:50 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
I think Amare is completely overrated. Overinflated ego, no desire to defend or rebound.

Is Randolph and expiring contracts for Lee the best they could have done?

Felton's OK, but he needs to develop some consistency in his game. Streaky shooter, very up and down.

.500 ball seems to be the ceiling for this team.

Azabuke ain't an expiring contract -- dude can play. Turiaf fits nicely into D'Antoni's system as a C.

Yes, but Buike is a one-and-done for the Knicks.

Why? Far too early to predict that. Point is he's an asset, whether he's kept or traded.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2010, 03:32:20 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
They weren't .500 with David Lee, why would they suddenly improve if they resigned him for too much money?
Because with Felton, Amare, and Lee you may actually have a team that has a shot to be good. Of course, if the management did not believe that Amare and Lee can play together, then they it's correct to move Lee for a backup PF prospect, and look for another center. The problem is Amare won't be getting any younger while they do this, and noone knows how long his two microfracture surgery knees will hold.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2010, 03:36:27 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
I think Amare is completely overrated. Overinflated ego, no desire to defend or rebound.

Is Randolph and expiring contracts for Lee the best they could have done?

Felton's OK, but he needs to develop some consistency in his game. Streaky shooter, very up and down.

.500 ball seems to be the ceiling for this team.

Azabuke ain't an expiring contract -- dude can play. Turiaf fits nicely into D'Antoni's system as a C.

Yes, but Buike is a one-and-done for the Knicks.

Why? Far too early to predict that. Point is he's an asset, whether he's kept or traded.

Not considering recent history. Over the past couple of seasons, the Knicks have jettisoned virtually every asset they had to clear cap space for this year's FA crop.

I don't see how they would retain Buike beyond this year, if it compromises cap space available for Melo or another blue-chip FA.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2010, 03:49:42 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
They weren't .500 with David Lee, why would they suddenly improve if they resigned him for too much money?
Because with Felton, Amare, and Lee you may actually have a team that has a shot to be good. Of course, if the management did not believe that Amare and Lee can play together, then they it's correct to move Lee for a backup PF prospect, and look for another center. The problem is Amare won't be getting any younger while they do this, and noone knows how long his two microfracture surgery knees will hold.

I'd have to disagree, Amare and Lee just couldn't work.

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2010, 03:56:10 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
You really think they had a sneaky good off season?

They traded away players during last year's trade deadline to clear cap space that cost them like three first round picks when teams like Miami and Chicago just gave them away at the draft...that's not good.

They didn't land Wade, Bosh or LeBron...that's not good.

They are talking about bringing back Isiah Thomas because Donnie Walsh is sick...that's catastrophically bad.

With the 38th and 39th picks in the second round they drafted one guy that was a major reach, Andy Rautins, and another who 29 other teams and every draft prognosticator didn't have in their top 150 players bypassing players that have looked pretty darn good in summer league play and/or might have an actual NBA future like Lance Stephenson, Jarvis Varnado, Devin Ewbanks, Da'Sean Butler, Luke Harangody and Willie Warren...more bad news.

They still have Eddie Curry on the roster having never gotten rid of him for any asset... bad for this year anyway.

And lastly, this is the team they will go to war with in a defensive oriented for success, grind it out Eastern Conference without any chance of adding high quality first round pick for 3-4 years, maybe??:

Felton/Douglas
Gallinari/Walker/Rautins
Chandler/Azubuike/Fields
Amare/Randolph
Mosgov/Turiaf/Curry

I don't know. Considering what their fanbase was being told could happen in the media in New York, I got to believe this off season looks like an unmitigated disaster to Knicks fans. I know I wouldn't be happy.

« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2010, 05:02:10 PM »

Offline ibby

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 18
Don't get me wrong, I don't think the off season was stellar for them.  And the pick ups they got are not as spectacular as say Miami's or even Chicago's.  But for the first time in a long time the Knicks picked up talented low priced players, and one all-star, without ruining their cap for next year.  To me that makes is a "sneaky" good off season.

« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2010, 07:06:29 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I agree that the Knicks had a pretty good offseason. And while I dont think Felton is the absolute perfect point guard for them, I think they got an incredible steal at 7 mil a year when guys like travis outlaw are making similar money and a guy like Scola is making 2 mil more.

Turiaf, Azabuki (sp no clue), and Morrow can be good hustle role players. A few more pieces and they can easily contend for an 8th spot in the now much stronger East. Plus, they can either trade Curry's contract at the deadline for a big time player or hold onto it and be factors in next years free agency market as well.

For once, the Knicks have done a decent job.