Author Topic: Ryan Gomes interested in joining the C's  (Read 18702 times)

Re: Ryan Gomes interested in joining the C's
« Reply #75 on: July 05, 2010, 06:45:24 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
Would Gomes sign a multi-year contract for the minimum? If so I'd see it as a good signing.

Why would he?  Unless he got seriously injured, he's going to be in the league in 2012, SOMEONE will pay him to be on their squad.  Why lock into a minimum deal?

Now, one year guaranteed, with a one year player option (at the minimum, or at whatever raise is allowable) might be viable.

I'd wager that Gomes gets the LLE from someone (not us, since we used it last year on Quis).  That seems about right.

It was a rhetorical question...

Allocating any amount of the MLE toward his skill set and size is a bad investment when considering team needs.

« Reply #76 on: July 05, 2010, 07:19:32 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I would rather get a bench player who is inconsistent, but promises flashes of brilliance.
You mean someone who's generally useless, but provides just enough mustard to tease you? We had this one, his name was Gerald Green.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #77 on: July 05, 2010, 07:21:31 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
I would rather get a bench player who is inconsistent, but promises flashes of brilliance.
You mean someone who's generally useless, but provides just enough mustard to tease you? We had this one, his name was Gerald Green.

Hey, let's not forget Tony Allen!
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #78 on: July 05, 2010, 07:35:49 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

Hey, let's not forget Tony Allen!
Tony Allen is ten times the player Gerald Green can ever hope to be.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #79 on: July 05, 2010, 07:39:10 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

No, I mean someone who is great 30% of the time, horrible 30% of the time, and the other 40% of the time plays at a mediocre level between great and horrible rather than someone who is consistently mediocre, but never train wreck or difference maker.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #80 on: July 05, 2010, 08:05:03 PM »

Offline ForexPirate

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 19
speaking of Leon Powe - is he a free agent now? 

« Reply #81 on: July 05, 2010, 08:10:04 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
speaking of Leon Powe - is he a free agent now? 

No, he is still under contract to Cleveland.  And if he were a free agent, his risk of injury would make him a horrible choice to address the Celtics need for depth at the 4/5 spots.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #82 on: July 05, 2010, 08:58:25 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

No, I mean someone who is great 30% of the time, horrible 30% of the time, and the other 40% of the time plays at a mediocre level between great and horrible rather than someone who is consistently mediocre, but never train wreck or difference maker.
So that Ray Allen and Paul Pierce can play 40 minutes in 30% of the games? No, thanks.