Author Topic: Redd out for the season  (Read 3242 times)

Redd out for the season
« on: January 11, 2010, 04:57:07 PM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
Per JSOnline :

By Charles F. Gardner of the Journal Sentinel
Jan. 11, 2010 2:42 p.m. 

A basketball source has confirmed that Michael Redd suffered a torn anterior cruciate ligament and torn medial collateral ligament in his left knee on Sunday night in Los Angeles. The injury will sideline the Bucks shooting guard for the rest of the season.

The injury is the same one that Redd suffered nearly one year ago, on Jan. 24 against Sacramento at the Bradley Center. He suffered a torn ACL and torn MCL in his left knee on that night and was lost for the rest of the season.

On Sunday, Redd planted on his left foot as he made a move in the lane during the Bucks' 95-77 loss to the Los Angeles Lakers at the Staples Center. He immediately was helped off the court.

Redd had a magnetic resonance imaging exam done in Phoenix on Monday, and the test revealed the ligament tears.

The 30-year-old Redd has been plagued by injuries in recent years. He missed the final 35 games of last season after being injured, and he was out for 16 games earlier this season due to a left patella tendon strain.

Redd has one year remaining on the six-year, $91 million contract he signed with the Bucks in the summer of 2005. The final year of the deal is a player option worth $18 million.

Redd recently spoke with the Journal Sentinel about the struggles he has endured in coming back from knee surgery in March, and the additional frustration after hurting his left patella in the home opener against the Detroit Pistons.

"I've been in funks before, but this is a little different," Redd said. "I'll find my way out of it.

"I hate to put any excuses on it. We all know what I came back from. I'll keep fighting. I won't dwell on the negative.

"I've just got to keep playing, keep playing, keep playing, and it will click."

Redd had played in 18 games this season, including 12 starts, and was averaging 11.9 points and 3.0 rebounds. Redd was in his 10th season with the Bucks, the franchise that selected him out of Ohio State with the 43rd overall pick in the 2000 draft.

But Redd, who recently passed Bobby Dandridge to move into fourth place on the Bucks' all-time scoring list, has played just 51 games in the last two seasons due to injuries.

I guess it will end all the trade speculation about Redd. I feel bad for the guy, two years in a row now that he is out for the season... and his career has been altered by his injuries.

Re: Redd out for the season
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 05:02:26 PM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406
Per JSOnline :

By Charles F. Gardner of the Journal Sentinel
Jan. 11, 2010 2:42 p.m. 

A basketball source has confirmed that Michael Redd suffered a torn anterior cruciate ligament and torn medial collateral ligament in his left knee on Sunday night in Los Angeles. The injury will sideline the Bucks shooting guard for the rest of the season.

The injury is the same one that Redd suffered nearly one year ago, on Jan. 24 against Sacramento at the Bradley Center. He suffered a torn ACL and torn MCL in his left knee on that night and was lost for the rest of the season.

On Sunday, Redd planted on his left foot as he made a move in the lane during the Bucks' 95-77 loss to the Los Angeles Lakers at the Staples Center. He immediately was helped off the court.

Redd had a magnetic resonance imaging exam done in Phoenix on Monday, and the test revealed the ligament tears.

The 30-year-old Redd has been plagued by injuries in recent years. He missed the final 35 games of last season after being injured, and he was out for 16 games earlier this season due to a left patella tendon strain.

Redd has one year remaining on the six-year, $91 million contract he signed with the Bucks in the summer of 2005. The final year of the deal is a player option worth $18 million.

Redd recently spoke with the Journal Sentinel about the struggles he has endured in coming back from knee surgery in March, and the additional frustration after hurting his left patella in the home opener against the Detroit Pistons.

"I've been in funks before, but this is a little different," Redd said. "I'll find my way out of it.

"I hate to put any excuses on it. We all know what I came back from. I'll keep fighting. I won't dwell on the negative.

"I've just got to keep playing, keep playing, keep playing, and it will click."

Redd had played in 18 games this season, including 12 starts, and was averaging 11.9 points and 3.0 rebounds. Redd was in his 10th season with the Bucks, the franchise that selected him out of Ohio State with the 43rd overall pick in the 2000 draft.

But Redd, who recently passed Bobby Dandridge to move into fourth place on the Bucks' all-time scoring list, has played just 51 games in the last two seasons due to injuries.

I guess it will end all the trade speculation about Redd. I feel bad for the guy, two years in a row now that he is out for the season... and his career has been altered by his injuries.

wow, guess he has to look at the "grant hill late career resurrection" model

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 05:02:30 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3779
  • Yup
a real shame

I really like watching him play. And he kinda came from nowhere as a 2nd rounder to make something of his career.
Yup

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 05:04:14 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
it's too bad. I like the guy, but man oh man....just a crushing injury.

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010, 05:05:06 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1648
  • What a Pub Should Be
Definitely unfortunate news.

You have to really wonder how much of a career he has left.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 05:07:00 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
I wish him luck making it back. It'll be a long, hard road.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2010, 05:10:58 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I feel bad for him, its going to be hard to come back after two years of the same injury at age 30.

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2010, 05:12:19 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 734
  • MASTER OF PANIC
ugh...redd does a lot of great things here in Columbus and people really love him...man very sad

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2010, 05:32:33 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2435
a real shame

I really like watching him play. And he kinda came from nowhere as a 2nd rounder to make something of his career.
Redd played very good defense back then too. Rebounded the ball too.

What a find he was when he burst onto the season back in 2003 or 2004 or whenever it was.

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2010, 05:34:34 PM »

Offline scoop

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
Yeps, under Karl. He was the heck of a hustle, glue guy. He wasn't even that good of a shooter when he entered the league. Very unfortunate news.

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2010, 05:38:59 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
How long is it before the Bucks can petition to nullify his contract, on the basis that the injury is career threatening?

Redd's contract ends next season, but the final year is a player option. If Milwaukee could somehow get out from that last year, they'd immediately become buyers in a free agent market.

Jennings and Bogut may be all the Bucks have right now. Mbah a Moute and Ilysova are OK and all, but if they're your 3rd and 4th best players, you're future isn't all that bright.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2010, 05:51:51 PM »

Offline fanofgreen

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 105
I hope he'll be back and that its not career threatening.
If Shaun Livingston can return from his injury, I have confidence that Michael Redd will be back, possibly this time next year, for a team.

(maybe he can be next years Celtics mid-season pickup player)

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2010, 10:34:41 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
I hope he'll be back and that its not career threatening.
If Shaun Livingston can return from his injury, I have confidence that Michael Redd will be back, possibly this time next year, for a team.

(maybe he can be next years Celtics mid-season pickup player)

Well, Shaun Livingston obviously couldn't really return from that injury, since he played like crap and then got waived this season.

I think Redd is pretty much done.  Might come back sometime next year or the season after that and be a veteran role player or something, but his days as a starter are officially over.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers