Poll

Jason Varitek is still unsigned, will he be a Red Sox opening day?

No, too much bad blood between Boras & the Sox
1 (2.9%)
No, Jason will refuse to sign for the $ the Sox are offering
6 (17.6%)
Yes, a 1 year deal
14 (41.2%)
Yes, a 2 yeal deal
6 (17.6%)
No, the Sox think he's past his prime
7 (20.6%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Author Topic: Will Varitek be on the roster opening day (POLL)  (Read 12416 times)

Re: Will Varitek be on the roster opening day (POLL)
« Reply #45 on: February 04, 2009, 06:56:23 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
i was really hoping varitek was gonna end up on the yankees to prove the sox/yankees rivalry is a myth.

except it clearly isnt.  When you get players like mariano rivera, Curt Schilling etc...saying they could never play for the other one, it clearly is there. 

sure some players are greedy and only care about money (damon for example) while others just need jobs (doug mentkievic, or however you spell it) but the players that have been in the rivalry for a long time likely wouldnt switch sides.

« Reply #46 on: February 04, 2009, 06:58:04 PM »

Offline SShorefan 4.0

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 186
i was really hoping varitek was gonna end up on the yankees to prove the sox/yankees rivalry is a myth.

except it clearly isnt.  When you get players like mariano rivera, Curt Schilling etc...saying they could never play for the other one, it clearly is there. 

sure some players are greedy and only care about money (damon for example) while others just need jobs (doug mentkievic, or however you spell it) but the players that have been in the rivalry for a long time likely wouldnt switch sides.

I always respected Bernie Williams for not coming to the Red Sox and disrespected Dane Cone and Johnny Damon for switching teams.
Call me a sap, but I love my kids more than anything!

« Reply #47 on: February 04, 2009, 06:59:45 PM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
So Tek is number one, who do you guys think will be the back up catcher?  I'm assuming Tito goes with a 3-2 platoon this year.  At least I hope, the less Tek the better.  Bard's contract is non-guaranteed I believe and George Kottaras is out of options, meaning if he isn't on the 40 man roster, he'd need to clear waivers before going to Pawtuckett.  A young catcher like that, I believe we would lose him through waivers.  I know he's not a stud, but there is definitely a team out there would pick him up via waivers.
do it

« Reply #48 on: February 06, 2009, 10:02:59 AM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
So Tek is number one, who do you guys think will be the back up catcher?  I'm assuming Tito goes with a 3-2 platoon this year.  At least I hope, the less Tek the better.  Bard's contract is non-guaranteed I believe and George Kottaras is out of options, meaning if he isn't on the 40 man roster, he'd need to clear waivers before going to Pawtuckett.  A young catcher like that, I believe we would lose him through waivers.  I know he's not a stud, but there is definitely a team out there would pick him up via waivers.

I think it will be one of the  'battles' ... between bard and kotteras.

My guess, kotteras loses, doesnt clear waivers, is pulled back and then traded.