Author Topic: Kobe, can you stop it with the finals comparisons?  (Read 12439 times)

Re: Kobe, can you stop it with the finals comparisons?
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2008, 11:04:43 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Here's to celebrating
in a classy way (Good point, Chris):

Just look at it this way, if the Celtics just lost to the Lakers in the finals two months ago, and you decided to go look at a Lakers blog, and there were a bunch of threads titled something like: "Pierce is a baby", and "KG is a choker", what would you think? 

I know I would think that the C's got into their heads, because they were still dwelling on it.

« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2008, 11:10:10 AM »

Offline biggs

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
BTW, why is everyone so obsessed with Kobe?  He lost, why not be graceful winners, and move on without overanalyzing everything he says?

He has a track record of downplaying the significants of losing the NBA finals.

As a Laker player losing to the Celtics, this loss should cause loss of sleep and depression. He should be apologizing to Laker fans world wide.  ;D

I guarantee you that if Pierce was in Kobe's position, he would be saying the same thing.  As an American, I would be offended if Kobe started saying that the NBA finals were more important to him than representing his country.

We'll agree to disagree on that.

Pierce would have recognized the significance and historical magnitude of the latest NBA finals and at least acknowledged it.

so pretty much your problem is that kobe isn't emotinaly shattered after the finals and slurping the celtics at every oppourtnity then.

while it would be nice to see that happen, not sure its something i hate kobe bryant for nto doing.

Ok my point of this thread is not to hate on Kobe.

It's to try and figure out why he is downplaying his recent loss. You say it's the company line.

I think it is more self serving then that.

Jsaad I started a thread like this a couple weeks ago and this is the third I have seen since.  Bottom line most Celtic Bloggers won't agree that Kobe is extremely insecure and needs to make it sound like whatever he's doing is more important.  
http://www.celticsblog.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=64&topic=21495.0

After all of the comments I have heard it just makes me think he is trying to market himself internationally so he can take the money and run next summer without totally tarnishing his precious image in the states.

And if you don't pick up on his self advertising and insecure jargon you must be a blind patriot.

I can win with class, but I'm not so proud of my country that I will ignore Kobe's immature arrogance and insecurity.  

Besides there wouldn't be a need for this thread if he hadn't gone on and on about it.  If there's anything you patriotic, Celtics fans have to admit it's that he won't shut up about this and that at least is annoying.  

"What would you say"? ummmm... something along the lines of how proud you are to play for your country and not "this is bigger than the nba".  Please Kobe the original Dream Team would send you home crying and trying to explain to your wife how winning at scrabble is more important than winning an Olympic gold. ;D(that's if he's aloud to sleep in the same bed as her) ;)  

Kobe is insecure and he will say anything to make him sound more important than everyone else.  Bottom line.

Someone called Jsaad childish, I would say Kobe and his comments are. ;)

despite your belifs most of us dislike kobe as much or more than you, i know i do, but it would be alot easier for us to jump aboard your bash party if any of you would:

a) anser the question as to why its ok for the other 14 guys to give the same awnseres to questions, but kobe is diffrent.

b) had a valid point, at least once. so far the only common theme is "well, sure this looks legit but YOU KNOW kobe ment it another way! or at leas tI KNOW!!!"

these threads are petty, and make me sad that a 17th abnner isn't enough, we have to bash a guy for not bowing down to us in a completly unrealated event.

liek chris said, its classless. also as chris said, he's being asked questions and awnsering them. whats the problem?

haha kobe lover!

Just kidding. ;)

I understand that it's pointless to hate on our opponent and one could argue classless, but I don't think you fully read the title of this thread.  It's "Kobe can you stop it with all the finals comparisons"?

I think what he means is that we've heard enough.  If this wasn't the third thread alone on his comments I would be with you, but Kobe just won't leave it alone.

When he can shut up and just take his 50 mill in euros we won't have to listen to him anymore.  

And to your argument I would like to see one, just one player on this team that has made comments similar to kobes.  I could picture a Dwayde, Howard, or Lebron(any legit poster boy without rape charges) saying how great it is to represent your country.  I don't here Dwayde saying this means more to him than his ring or anything.
Truuuuuuuuuth!

« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2008, 11:13:14 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Doesn't look like Pau Gasol is home being depressed about the Laker loss.

As a matter of fact, he seems to be saying a lot of the same things that Kobe is in this Nike sponsored blog of his:

http://inside.nike.com/blogs/nikebasketball/2008/07/22/blogging-the-journey-pau-gasol

The Olympics is a great event to be in. It's an event that you can see all the sports in the world and all the athletes in the world at the highest level. So it's always an honor to be a part of it and defending your country in it. It's a big honor. I personally take a lot of pride being with my national team and trying to get medals and success for my country. So I'm definitely looking forward to it.

I always consider myself a competitor and winner. I love to win and hate losing. I don't handle it very well. It’s definitely like someone is stabbing me every time I lose a game. That's what pushes me through everyday. And also the fact that I want to prove that I'm one of the top elite players in the world. I have a whole country behind me that is supporting me and cheering for me and believing in me. So that's also a big plus and motivation.

Wait a minute. He said he hated losing and yet didn't mention the loss to the Celtics. Time to string Pau up right along side of Kobe. How dare they not mention how much it hurt to lose to the Celtics. ::)

Please people.

« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2008, 11:30:02 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
again, he didnt pull this out of thin air, he was asked a question about the comparision between the finals and the olympics, and he awnsered it.

mabey the title of the thread should be "dear media, stop asking the one memeber of team usa who was in the finals questions"

as to the other part of your argument "comments similar to kobe" eh? so far the only qoutes ive seen out of kobe are "Team USa is a lifelong dream of mine, honored to play"

so, lets see....

melo: When I step on that basketball court, I'm thinking about basketball, I'm thinking about winning -- but there's so much that goes into thought about how I'm going to open this game up to others. It's so much more than just basketball. Like the opening ceremonies -- we got the whole entire world [watching]. It's the biggest thing in the world, all sports -- not just basketball. For me personally, I just sit back and let it all sink in. "How the hell am I here? How did I get here? Me?" You know what I'm sayin'?

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=jackson/080723&sportCat=nba

why isn't he focused on his problems in denver! punk, how dare he awnser questions about the olympics and wha it means to him! clearly a phony  ::)

lebron: This is something we’ve been waiting for. It took us awhile to finally get to this first game and for it to be against China, it made it that much better.

The anticipation for this game was an all-time high. We were happy that we were able to play well and get a win.

Good lord! why is he not pining over the ECF? how dare he act liek this is important to him! it doesn't involve the celtics!

wade:cut and past since i cant post video from work

how can he be talking about what an honor it is to play for team USA, doesn't he have obligations to the heat!?!?

http://www.topix.com/basketball-players/dwyane-wade/2008/08/dwyane-wade-talks-about-bringing-home-some-gold

but im sure, somehow, this will be "diffrent" from when kobe talks up the games.

p.s this took a 5 minute google search to dispell the myth that i "you would like to see just one player who's made similar comments" all i did was type in thier names. bet if i typed in "bosh team usa important" which is the search strin i used with the others, i'd find articles talkign about how much this means to them too.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2008, 11:38:40 AM »

Offline iowa plowboy

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
The trash Kobe threads are rivaled only by the trade threads involving Scalabrine.

At least the trades involving Scalabrine (OK, not many of them, but a couple), have SOME basis in reality.

;D ;D If Danny mentioned Scal in trade talks as much as this blog does, Scal would have negative trade value....They'd have to dump him like the Sox dumped Manny.

As Finkel said in a different trash Kobe thread, if Kobe wore green, he'd be a hero...."Criminal" activity, stupid statements and all.  Paul has said collossally stupid stuff pretty much his whole career.  He's still a hero here.  Kobe never loafed defensively.  Paul did for three seasons.  He's still a hero here.  Kobe never sat out half a season "injured".  Kobe has never been the best player on a team which tanked a season.  

We can find faults in any of our players and trash them the same way.  The trash Kobe threads are ridiculously redundant and tired.  If anybody on our roster gets to as many Finals as Kobe has....Win or lose...Their banners would be up with the legendary Celtics and they would lifelong heros.  Regardless of controversy.

I don't here Dwayde saying this means more to him than his ring or anything.

No, I see him shaving his head and playing "angry"  ;D ;D in some kind of symbolic gesture to cover his tanking, and flopping every time he gets touched the rare times he shows up for the team that feeds his family.  Another real role model there.

While we're trashing Kobe, let's remember this selfish jerk played half a season with a broken hand, for God's sake....While some of our heros sit out with phantom injuries in a quest to cheat for higher draft picks.

« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2008, 11:55:16 AM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
played half a season with a broken hand? when was this? i hope your not referring to the small pinky injury he received this previous season.

Become Legendary.

« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2008, 11:56:32 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
How about this quote from Chris Paul: http://www.insidehoops.com/paul-interview-081008.shtml

"This is bigger than a playoff game."

Sounds a whole lot like what Kobe said to me, if not worse, because he said right out that it was bigger than a playoff game.

« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2008, 11:57:40 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
played half a season with a broken hand? when was this? i hope your not referring to the small pinky injury he received this previous season.

no, this was 2 years ago i beleve.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2008, 12:00:54 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
How about this quote from Chris Paul: http://www.insidehoops.com/paul-interview-081008.shtml

Sounds a whole lot like what Kobe said to me, if not worse, because he said right out that it was bigger than a playoff game.

no, no chris, CP3 is likeable, im sure we'll be filled in on how his comments are completly diffrent from kobe's  ::)

god i feel dirty, i can't belive, as nick pointed otu in another thread, that these attacks are so blatently petty and childish, that im put in the position of defending kobe bryant. i threw up a little in my mouth.

« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2008, 02:28:04 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan

no, no chris, CP3 is likeable, im sure we'll be filled in on how his comments are completly diffrent from kobe's  ::)

god i feel dirty, i can't belive, as nick pointed otu in another thread, that these attacks are so blatently petty and childish, that im put in the position of defending kobe bryant. i threw up a little in my mouth.

That's the spirit!  ;)