Author Topic: The Draymond Green Thing  (Read 3901 times)

Re: The Draymond Green Thing
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2023, 11:55:00 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1562
Counseling should help as it helps most people.  Doesn't mean there won't be another incident as counseling takes a lot more than weeks, but if Draymond outs in the effort it can and should help with whatever sets him over the edge.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2023, 11:58:04 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 995
Draymond Green starts counseling, expected to remain sidelined for at least three weeks

Golden State Warriors forward Draymond Green has started counseling and is expected to remain sidelined via suspension for at least the next three weeks, league sources said. The NBA announced an indefinite suspension for Green on Dec. 13 for striking Phoenix Suns center Jusuf Nurkić in the face during a game one night earlier. Joe Dumars, NBA executive vice president and head of basketball operations, said in a statement that Green’s “repeated history of unsportsmanlike acts” was a factor in the decision. – via Shams Charania @ The Athletic

Does anyone think that counseling is going to change Draymond Green?  I predict that if Green is reinstated, there will be another incident.

I mean, there’s a chance that Draymond has been not dealing with something emotional that he needed to deal with, as the incidents have been accelerating in the last couple of years.  It’s not my prediction of what will happen, but I wouldn’t call it impossible.  Most everyone’s lives have been up-ended in the past few years, and it might not have taken much to push Draymond from being a hyper-emotional person who could generally use the emotions constructively to being hyper-emotional, but have too many destructive results.

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2023, 12:01:50 PM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
  • International Superstar
Draymond Green starts counseling, expected to remain sidelined for at least three weeks

Golden State Warriors forward Draymond Green has started counseling and is expected to remain sidelined via suspension for at least the next three weeks, league sources said. The NBA announced an indefinite suspension for Green on Dec. 13 for striking Phoenix Suns center Jusuf Nurkić in the face during a game one night earlier. Joe Dumars, NBA executive vice president and head of basketball operations, said in a statement that Green’s “repeated history of unsportsmanlike acts” was a factor in the decision. – via Shams Charania @ The Athletic

Does anyone think that counseling is going to change Draymond Green?  I predict that if Green is reinstated, there will be another incident.

I mean, there’s a chance that Draymond has been not dealing with something emotional that he needed to deal with, as the incidents have been accelerating in the last couple of years.  It’s not my prediction of what will happen, but I wouldn’t call it impossible.  Most everyone’s lives have been up-ended in the past few years, and it might not have taken much to push Draymond from being a hyper-emotional person who could generally use the emotions constructively to being hyper-emotional, but have too many destructive results.

It could also be that he doesn't like playing without Steph Curry - i.e. losing.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2023, 12:22:37 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 4599

While I don't think counseling will do anything at all, all the attention might (like an intervention).

To me, as an outsider, this isn't a counseling issue.  He's a smart player who's relied on these tactics his whole career (flopping, flailing, baiting, bullying, mind games, etc.), and was great at getting away with it, masterfully skirting the line between intentional and plausible deniability.

It was his ability to get away with it, along with the Warriors enabling him, that led him to continue to do it and continue to push the line of what he could get away with.

But now he's faced with a decline in skills/ability and a decline in team success, so he finds himself forced to reach into his bag of tricks more and more to overcompensate.  And that's where we are now.

So the suspension, the attention, I think this could just be the wake up call that dude everyone can tell you're acting unhinged, cut it out.  No one is falling for your act anymore.  The counseling piece is probably not doing anything except help Draymond realize his charade is over.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2023, 12:32:58 PM by bdm860 »

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2023, 01:29:15 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 890

Me being skeptical that Draymond Green will be "fixed" with 3 weeks of counselling is not a critique of counselling, it is a critique of Draymond Green.  He probably does have some issues that could be addressed by a skillful counselor, but there has been way too much enabling in the past.  He sucker punched a teammate only a year ago or so.  And it was all "boys will be boys".  And now this.

Mine is a prediction, if Green is back on the court in 3 weeks or 3 months, I predict there will be another incident.  He won't be fixed.  He is too caught up in the Draymond Green persona that has been enabled and even celebrated for years.  Not saying my prediction is absolute, it is just a prediction.  The league should retire him.  That is the only way to prevent another incident.

« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2023, 01:49:09 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1029
Draymond should be exiled from the NBA. Send him to the overseas for a year or two to reconcile his behavior. When he's ready and shown that he's ready then bring him back.

3 weeks ain't enough. I'm sure he'll get a technical one or two games after his return.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2023, 08:30:02 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 748
Counseling should help as it helps most people.  Doesn't mean there won't be another incident as counseling takes a lot more than weeks, but if Draymond outs in the effort it can and should help with whatever sets him over the edge.
Counseling can help people who want to get better but if Draymond doesn't see a problem with his activities then it can't do anything.

If he comes out and admits that he was purposefully trying to hurt people and says he won't do it again, then there's a chance for change but if he sticks to his "it's always a suspicious accident" story, then there's no chance he's getting "better". Whatever "better" means. 
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008