Author Topic: Could ball talker Sengun = another 2013 draft disaster?  (Read 1660 times)

Could ball talker Sengun = another 2013 draft disaster?
« on: August 11, 2021, 11:27:42 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Ainge messed up on the 2013 draft by not taking Giannis.   Could Brad be next by missing out on Sengun? 

Mike Schmitz before the draft said if you just "wink" ...  reminds you of a slightly shorter Jokic

Color me impressed.  Only 2 games into pre season, but his work ethic, iq is pretty impressive.  Not the best athlete/burst but strong defensive iq.  Relentless on the offensive boards

I don't think he will become as impactful as Giannis or Jokic. But if could be like an early 30s Al Horford for the next decade ....  that would sting

If Brad didn't want Walker on the roster, he could have just bought him out (and perhaps save 10-20m like OKC negotiated)

Highlights from yesterday

Alperen Şengün yesterday: 21 PTS, 8 RBS, 3 ASTS, 4 BLKS, 8-14 FG, 1-2 from 3-PT, 4-6 FT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsIkgo5MVLo

Sengun/Timelord frontcourt potential could have been...

btw pretty freaky what happens at the FT line.  Reminds me of the movie Major League baseball  - Cerrano/Jobu  :)

Re: Could ball talker Sengun = another 2013 draft disaster?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2021, 12:14:22 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3233
Ainge messed up on the 2013 draft by not taking Giannis.   Could Brad be next by missing out on Sengun? 

Mike Schmitz before the draft said if you just "wink" ...  reminds you of a slightly shorter Jokic

Color me impressed.  Only 2 games into pre season, but his work ethic, iq is pretty impressive.  Not the best athlete/burst but strong defensive iq.  Relentless on the offensive boards

I don't think he will become as impactful as Giannis or Jokic. But if could be like an early 30s Al Horford for the next decade ....  that would sting

If Brad didn't want Walker on the roster, he could have just bought him out (and perhaps save 10-20m like OKC negotiated)

Alperen Şengün yesterday: 21 PTS, 8 RBS, 3 ASTS, 4 BLKS, 8-14 FG, 1-2 from 3-PT, 4-6 FT

btw pretty freaky what happens at the FT line.  Reminds me of the movie Major League baseball  - Cerrano/Jobu  :)

Segun does look really good and I think he'll be really good. He's skilled and physical big.

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2021, 12:18:29 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Segun does look really good and I think he'll be really good. He's skilled and physical big.

Agreed.  He reminds me of a combination of Horford and Kanter.  Not peak but some kind of combination of two

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2021, 12:42:58 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
Big fan of Sengun. Picked him and Scottie Barnes as my favorite players in the draft in the binkie thread and think he could easily become a top 5 Center in this league within 3 years.

That being said, I have no regrets for trading the pick to get off Kemba and bring back for Horford and his partially guaranteed contract. It's too important to get this team back to its winning ways and there was no guarantee that bringing in Sengun to our crowded and flawed rotation was going to fix it. That plus the fact that we are also positioned to have max cap space in the summer of '22 is icing on the cake.

The Celtics are not exactly in 'win now' mode but they are definitely in 'cant lose now' mode if we want a chance at keeping the Tatum Brown core together for the better part of the next decade. Sengun will always be a fun what if but I'm not going to lose any sleep over missing out on him even if he blows up into a Jokic level center.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2021, 07:13:21 PM by Smartacus »

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2021, 05:43:19 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25582
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
If it's a disaster, I think OKC probably owns that one. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2021, 06:22:43 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum

Even if Sengun isn’t a superstar, he looks to be a valuable asset going forward for Houston.

I know people won’t believe me but that deal was a salary dump to get the Celtics out of the tax by Wyc.

To make that trade so early in the off-season only makes sense if money was the main driving force.

I think the biggest failure of nba fans (including myself) is we always blame the GM. We call them an idiot, that he has no idea…but in reality a significant amount of bad trades or draft selections are because of owner intervention.

It also sadly calls into question Wyc’s motives for moving Stevens into the front office. I’m sure he had Ainge’s support in the decision but if Stevens hadn’t signed that extension and was coming off contract, do you really believe Stevens was ownerships first choice?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2021, 06:53:55 PM by Ed Monix »
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2021, 06:29:36 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3142
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I doubt it. Sengun wouldn't get the minutes here necessary, especially with the signing of Kanter, as he can't play PF on defence. I feel like his size, or lack thereof, could be a problem (6'10 with a 7' wingspan, similar measurements to Kuzma) against the bigger bodies, but if he can work on his lateral quickness on the perimeter he should be good.

His rebounding, passing, interior defence and interior scoring are all strong. If he makes improvements in his perimeter game on both offence and defence, as well as his ball-handling, he should be good.

I would have taken Jalen Johnson over him anyway
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2021, 06:58:43 PM »

Offline ausbacker

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 39
Perhaps it's me but he looked like a young Mason Plumlee, a solid but unspectacular player.

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2021, 07:03:15 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3142
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Perhaps it's me but he looked like a young Mason Plumlee, a solid but unspectacular player.
I've compared him to Plumlee before. Think he'll end up more dynamic offensively, but is conversely less athletic
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2021, 08:38:14 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1836
Ball Talker?

Like Mark "the Bird" Fidrych?  One of my favorite all time baseball players.

I digress.