Poll

2022 Celtics:  1- Carsen Edwards 2- Jaylen Brown 3- Jayson Tatum 4- Grant Williams 5- Bob Williams B- Romeo Langford B- Marcus Smart B- Semi Ojeleye B-Tacko

Perennial Finals Contender
3 (15.8%)
Deep Eastern Playoff Runs
8 (42.1%)
Early Playoff Exits
4 (21.1%)
Fringe Playoff Team
2 (10.5%)
All Lottery all the time
2 (10.5%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Author Topic: How good with the post-Kemba/Hayward Celtics be?  (Read 1495 times)

How good with the post-Kemba/Hayward Celtics be?
« on: July 11, 2019, 02:36:55 PM »

Offline Boise To Boston

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 15
I am personally really excited about our young core.  If Hayward gets back to form we can compete in the East for the next 2-3 years.  But I think the strength of our roster is our young guns.  I LOVE Carsen Edwards and Grant Williams especially.  Tacko is exciting.  Mash them up with J/J, Semi, Smart, and Bob and I think our future is REALLY bright.  Curious what everyone else thinks?

Re: How good with the post-Kemba/Hayward Celtics be?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2019, 02:45:09 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
WAY TOO early to tell.

At this point, that's a JV high school team.

Time will tell.

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2019, 02:49:59 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
Too early, we have no idea if any type of chemistry will be built. I'm not even sure if Jaylen and Jayson can play together in the same unit.

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2019, 02:53:07 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 293
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
I am personally really excited about our young core.  If Hayward gets back to form we can compete in the East for the next 2-3 years.  But I think the strength of our roster is our young guns.  I LOVE Carsen Edwards and Grant Williams especially.  Tacko is exciting.  Mash them up with J/J, Semi, Smart, and Bob and I think our future is REALLY bright.  Curious what everyone else thinks?

I'm not excited about our core. I wish we had made a bold move at some time to compete for a championship.
In the NBA the future of teams is very unpredictable, but I doubt very much the Celtics will ever reach the NBA Finals with that core group.

I'm a fan of Brown and expect him to become an All Star. But I don't rate Tatum as high as general consensus, because I don't think he'll become a superstar or something like that. There are a lot of question marks around Rob Williams, and I'm not that impressed with the potential of our new rookies (Edwards, Langford, G.Williams) to see them become starters on a contending team.

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2019, 02:54:23 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Really impossible to say.  The Celts will be in a good position for the longer term if Jayson turns into an All-NBA type talent and Jaylen reaches something approaching All-Star status.

That's a pretty lofty goal to hit for both players, though.

As for the other names mentioned, who knows.

I think it's fair to say that by 2022/2023 we're going to know whether or not Jayson and Jaylen (if he's still here) are guys to build around, or if the Celts are going to have to more or less start over in looking for a foundation for the franchise.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2019, 02:54:42 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
They'll be as good as Brown/Tatum are.

I think that's pretty good, but its no sure thing.

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2019, 03:12:33 PM »

Offline DrinkinCelticKool-Aid

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 36
Yeah hard to tell. If Brown and Tatum were to deliver along with the new rookies living up to the way they have looked in Summer League, maybe. It would be great if Ping Pong Paddle Langford were to deliver too, really nice potential though.
 I'm hoping the new rookies' mature attitudes help round any arrogance the JJ's may have had last year. I hope it helps ground the team going forward.

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2019, 03:54:43 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
There is an extremely good chance 7 or 8 or all of those guys aren't even on the team in 2023. There is an extremely good chance 1, 2 or 3 of those guys aren't even in the league in 2023. Kind of difficult to get a read on that group given the volatility of the potential of those players. Yeah, if every player reaches their ceiling that might very well be a good team and be a contender but the "if" in that statement is about as big as the John Hancock building in downtown Boston.

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2019, 04:53:11 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
If everything breaks right Langford, Brown, and Tatum can co-exist as stars (as they are different enough), Rob Williams is our defensive anchor, we have the right young role players around them,  we have the X factor the Memphis pick being top 5 in 2 years, and Smart is there to see it through. But but but times a thousand rarely does everything break right for a whole group of young players.  There are so many examples of this in NBA history.

Saying all that if we are comparing our young core to others in the NBA with what Brown and Tatum have done so far in their young careers is a great place to start, and many young rebuilding teams to be envious of.

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2019, 05:17:59 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
We can't tell what we'll have in 19-20, much less 3+ years from now.

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2019, 05:23:15 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1651
  • What a Pub Should Be
I don't even know how good the Kemba/Hayward Celtics are gonna be, nevermind, what things are gonna look like a half decade or so from now.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2019, 05:23:47 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 985
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
We can't tell what we'll have in 19-20, much less 3+ years from now.
It’s not only an impossible question to answer, it is not a likely scenario to have all these players on the team in 3 years.

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2019, 05:38:44 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 4601
Oh how many times have I thought this.  Back when my fandom really started it went something like:

'97-'00:
PG: Chauncey Billups
SG: Ron Mercer
SF: Paul Pierce
PF: Antoine Walker
C: Tony Battie
B: Danny Fortson
B: Eric Williams
B: Greg Minor
B: John Thomas
B: Roy Rogers
(not all on the team at the same time, but close enough that you dream about several of them together being the key to the future).

'01-'03
PG: Joe Forte
SG: Joe Johnson
SF: Kedrick Brown
PF: Jerome Moiso
C: Mark Blount
B: Chris Herren
B: Miracle Milt Palacio
And that's with established stars like Pierce and Walker ahead of them!

'06-'07
PG: Sebastian Telfair
SG: Gerald Green
SF: Ryan Gomes
PF: Al Jefferson
C: Kendrick Perkins
B: Rajon Rondo
B: Dwyane Jones

'13-'15
PG: Rajon Rondo
SG: Avery Bradley
SF: James Young
PF:  Jared Sullinger
C: Kelly Olynyk
B: Marcus Smart
B: Fab Melo
B: Dwight Powell

And let's never forget about the more recent optimism about Rozier, RJ Hunter, Jordan Mickey, etc.  A year ago at this time we were probably arguing if the C's would get 3, 4, or 5 guys in the All-Star game.  Ha!

The future is rarely as bright as you imagine.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2019, 06:06:27 PM »

Offline GreenCoffeeBean

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91
[dang] y’all look ahead fast. Let’s just enjoy the post-Kyrie Celtics for a while.