Author Topic: Brad on the Kemba trade  (Read 4083 times)

Brad on the Kemba trade
« on: June 21, 2021, 03:07:33 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416
Really liking Brad the GM so far....  :)

Boston Celtics president of basketball operations Brad Stevens said Monday that every move he makes in his new role -- including trading Kemba Walker and a first-round draft pick to the Oklahoma City Thunder for Al Horford -- will be made with one goal in mind: maximizing the talents of All-Star wings Jayson Tatum and Jaylen Brown.

"The ability to make our wings better is going to be a huge part of the people that will be around them," Stevens said Monday in his first public comments since making the Walker deal three days earlier.

It was a significant move as Stevens begins his tenure replacing Danny Ainge atop Boston's organizational depth chart, moving on from a player who was well-liked and whom the Celtics signed to a max contract two years ago to replace Kyrie Irving as the team's floor general.

Stevens ultimately concluded that the financial flexibility created by saving at least $20 million over the next two seasons by swapping Walker and Horford -- plus Horford's fit in Boston -- made it a deal worth making now, rather than waiting to see what else may come up down the line.

But Stevens admitted it wasn't an easy move to make -- in part because of his personal affinity for Walker, as well-liked a player as any in the league.

"Well, I think that's, right, part of the job change, right?" Stevens said when asked about his new responsibility to move on from players. "It is difficult. Because I really -- for instance, just really liked Kemba, period, end of story. He is a super likable person.

But] we had to look at with the idea of moving that first-round pick this year, it gave us the opportunity to look at a road ahead with a few more options, from the financial flexibility standpoint, with the picks, all of our future first-round picks past this year, which, again, give you more options. And then it was the best deal that we thought with regard to returning players, right? The opportunity to add Al, who makes significantly less money but is a really good player who has corporate knowledge of this environment, that's really excited to be back in Boston and has a good feel for not only playing with our guys but also has made them better ... his impact on others and his ability to lift others is one of his great strengths.

"To have the ability to get that in return and gain financial flexibility moving forward, the cost, right, was a person that you really really like and one first-round pick."

Stevens coached Horford for three years after the Celtics pried him away from the Atlanta Hawks as a free agent in 2016 as a consolation prize for missing out on signing Kevin Durant that summer.

Although he struggled to fit next to Joel Embiid after joining the 76ers in 2019, Horford still looked very effective when he played at center both in Philadelphia and last season with Oklahoma City -- where he averaged 14.2 points, 6.7 rebounds and 3.4 assists in 28 games before both he and the team mutually agreed to shut him down.

Stevens said he expects that version of Horford to arrive in Boston, adding multiple times that Horford is "very excited" to be back in Boston and that his versatility could allow the Celtics to play him alongside other big men, including emerging young talent Robert Williams.

"Al can move the needle," Stevens said. "Al had a good year in Oklahoma City -- obviously didn't play a ton of games, but statistically had a year that obviously applies across the board. I think that sometimes the ability to space, pass, play in different ways and play in different coverages at the other end, be able to play with other bigs or as the lone 5 I think is something that ... he just has a wealth of experience."

While Stevens said he's still considering adding to his front office down the road, he declined to get into any specifics about the current search for his replacement on the bench in Boston, saying that it would be unfair to those involved to speak about it publicly before it was done.

"I realize that there's a lot of speculation and everything else out there, but in fairness to the people that have been under consideration, that are under consideration, I want to make sure that we're doing it the right way," Stevens said. "There will be a time and place to talk about that."

« Last Edit: June 21, 2021, 08:22:09 PM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

Re: Brad on the Kemba trade..
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2021, 04:59:09 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
I liked that he said that he's been keeping in touch with Brown and Tatumn, which seems to mean both of them are part of the process and possible giving their two sense on who's going to be the coach. Smart I don't think got mentioned, but doesn't really mean much since he also talked about Williams and TT. Said a little about Mo Brown, kinda like we'll check him out but he might be a better trade chip for some bench scoring help.

Good first move, but the second and third will be the big ones.

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2021, 05:32:03 PM »

Offline chicagoceltic

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 208
I liked that he said that he's been keeping in touch with Brown and Tatumn, which seems to mean both of them are part of the process and possible giving their two sense on who's going to be the coach. Smart I don't think got mentioned, but doesn't really mean much since he also talked about Williams and TT. Said a little about Mo Brown, kinda like we'll check him out but he might be a better trade chip for some bench scoring help.

As a certified 6ers Hater I request that we avoid using the words "the process" in any fashion. Thank you.
Pub Draft

Sam N Ella's

At the Bar: The Most Interesting Man in the World
At the Door:  Hugh Hefner
On Stage:  O.A.R., Louis C.K., EDGAR! Special Drinks:  Irish Car Bomb, Martinis On Tap: Lite, Beamish, 3 Floyds Seasonal, Chimay Grand Reserve, Spotted Cow

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2021, 05:35:53 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
"Al can move the needle," Stevens said. "Al had a good year in Oklahoma City -- obviously didn't play a ton of games, but statistically had a year that obviously applies across the board. I think that sometimes the ability to space, pass, play in different ways and play in different coverages at the other end, be able to play with other bigs or as the lone 5 I think is something that ... he just has a wealth of experience."
Loses his train of thought there but I like what he is saying.

There is some contributions that Horford makes that are not well picked up by stats but that do add a lot to a team in making them better. That ability to play outside and open up the paint. To facilitate the offense with his passing and shooting. And then the defensive versatility to play against all and any who the team shall meet.

It is nicely put "the ability to play in space, pass, play in different ways". I like that.

It is undervalued. That is what I think he was getting at. Those skills are undervalued (especially for a big man) and they are.

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2021, 07:00:06 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

There is some contributions that Horford makes that are not well picked up by stats but that do add a lot to a team in making them better. That ability to play outside and open up the paint. To facilitate the offense with his passing and shooting. And then the defensive versatility to play against all and any who the team shall meet.

It is nicely put "the ability to play in space, pass, play in different ways". I like that.

It is undervalued. That is what I think he was getting at. Those skills are undervalued (especially for a big man) and they are.

I like how quickly he got the deal done. Waiting around to and hoping that something better turns up is a dangerous game to play. Brad already knows Horford is going to fit in seamlessly. He’s a sure thing. As Stevens mentioned, the move gives them financial flexibility as well and will hopefully allow the C’s to keep Fournier. So if moving Kemba cost them a mid first round pick(which is a complete crapshoot anyway) and allows Boston to add Horford, Moses Brown and have resources to retain Fournier, that’s a win in my book.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2021, 07:18:03 PM by Goldstar88 »
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2021, 08:23:38 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
I like Al, I'm glad he's back. The Celtics desperately need someone that can make plays, get the ball moving side to side, and find open shooters for easy baskets.

I just hope he can play enough games and minutes to make an impact.

Re: Brad on the Kemba trade
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2021, 08:26:30 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Brad needs to cut down on his usage of the word "obviously."

Obviously.

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2021, 09:01:35 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
This is only somewhat related, but does anybody know if the trade will be finalized before the draft...or is it already finalized? Stevens talked a bit about future draft picks and flexibility, but if we make the trade before the draft, then we won't be able to deal the 2022 pick due to the Stepien rule. It would seem to make the most sense to finalize the trade on draft night after the Cs select for OKC.

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2021, 09:05:39 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
This is only somewhat related, but does anybody know if the trade will be finalized before the draft...or is it already finalized? Stevens talked a bit about future draft picks and flexibility, but if we make the trade before the draft, then we won't be able to deal the 2022 pick due to the Stepien rule. It would seem to make the most sense to finalize the trade on draft night after the Cs select for OKC.

Not sure when it's finalized, but for certain it's for THIS season since it decreases salary from THIS season. Now at what point THIS season ends, not sure. Maybe it's June 30 I think, don't know how that figures into the draft or not.

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2021, 09:40:49 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

We can deal our 2022 first on our after draft night.  It’s not a huge restriction.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2021, 09:47:45 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Keep making the hard decisions Brad !

Cut loose the junk on the bench and get some experience vets that can contribute and make up a nice second core .

We have to many D leaguers riding the bench .

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2021, 09:57:27 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

Cut loose the junk on the bench and get some experience vets that can contribute and make up a nice second core .

Amen to that!

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2021, 10:45:41 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280

As a certified 6ers Hater I request that we avoid using the words "the process" in any fashion. Thank you.

Sorry, your certification seems to be invalid and your request has been denied. Please feel free to try again in 30 days. Please make sure you send the application fee of 25.00USD 5 days prior of turning application for processing.
Thank you.
;)

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2021, 03:02:45 AM »

Offline Muzzy66

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 121

Yes please!

Frankly, I would keep Pritchard, Jabari, TT and Timelord.  MAYBE Nesmith, as I like the energy he plays with and his upside as a shooter.  The rest I'm happy to send packing. 

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2021, 03:30:12 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

He's also really developed 'sage-level' tricks on that end of the floor: for example he uses different coverages against the same team in the PnR depending on who's running the action - he loves to sag off of players who can't really shoot, but either hedges hard or switches onto the ballhandler if the latter is a capable pullup practitioner. He's gotten really good at goading defenders to make bad decisions and I feel that might power him to an All-Star calibre campaign next season.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA