Author Topic: Patriots 2022 Season  (Read 107402 times)

Re: Patriots 2022 Season
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2022, 10:06:56 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416
 This is so bizarre…tryout for coaches?

Matt Patricia and Joe Judge split the offensive playcalling duties in the New England Patriots' 23-21 loss to the New York Giants in Thursday night's preseason opener, adding a new wrinkle to a hot-button topic surrounding the team.

Patricia called the plays for the opening two series with veteran Brian Hoyer at quarterback Thursday night, then Judge took over when rookie Bailey Zappe entered the game.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2022, 11:49:48 AM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2022, 01:45:16 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
I totally dislike what the Pats are doing with their offense. Bill is a defense/special teams guy, as are Judge and Patricia, so I don't think they should have much, if anything, to do with calling plays on offense. Hopefully this doesn't have long-term negative ramifications for Jones. I'm happy that McDaniels is gone, as I think he was often overrated, and was especially terrible at red-zone playcalling, but I also don't want defensive guys running the show.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2022, 01:57:21 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
I totally dislike what the Pats are doing with their offense. Bill is a defense/special teams guy, as are Judge and Patricia, so I don't think they should have much, if anything, to do with calling plays on offense. Hopefully this doesn't have long-term negative ramifications for Jones. I'm happy that McDaniels is gone, as I think he was often overrated, and was especially terrible at red-zone playcalling, but I also don't want defensive guys running the show.

Yeah it doesn’t sound good. Here’s a rationale for you: understanding defensive mindset might prove advantageous when calling plays on offense….  Regardless I’m looking forward to Mac’s year 2.   I’m not down on the receiving core as some are here - I think they are weak at the top but their depth likely provides openings as long as Mac stays upright.  It’s mostly about O-line. A bunch of #3 receivers isn’t that bad if you also have 2 good receiving TEs and some weapons in the backfield (which they do).

« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2022, 02:01:50 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!

Matt Patricia and Joe Judge split the offensive playcalling duties in the New England Patriots' 23-21 loss to the New York Giants in Thursday night's preseason opener, adding a new wrinkle to a hot-button topic surrounding the team.

Patricia called the plays for the opening two series with veteran Brian Hoyer at quarterback Thursday night, then Judge took over when rookie Bailey Zappe entered the game.

So does this mean Bill calls the plays for Mac Jones? If so, I'm all for it!  :laugh:
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2022, 03:04:39 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

Yeah it doesn’t sound good. Here’s a rationale for you: understanding defensive mindset might prove advantageous when calling plays on offense….  Regardless I’m looking forward to Mac’s year 2.   I’m not down on the receiving core as some are here - I think they are weak at the top but their depth likely provides openings as long as Mac stays upright.  It’s mostly about O-line. A bunch of #3 receivers isn’t that bad if you also have 2 good receiving TEs and some weapons in the backfield (which they do).

This idea has some logic to it. I'll give them a chance to prove themselves, knowing that it might take several regular-season games to find their groover—though I hope it doesn't take so long that their playoff hopes are dashed.

I'm not depressed or psyched about their receiving corps—there's no top-level talent, but having 4 or 5 "pretty good" receivers could be serviceable at least. But you're right, the O-line has to hold up, or else everything else falls apart. I think Mac is going to be a very good quarterback in his career, and I expect him to show more improvement this season. If Jonnu Smith can get back on track and the O-line holds up, things could look very good.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2022, 04:03:05 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

So does this mean Bill calls the plays for Mac Jones? If so, I'm all for it!  :laugh:

Bill isn't known for being an offensive minded coach, so I'm not sure it will be any better.
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2022, 07:22:19 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I think Parker has the talent of a good #2 receiver. He is just hurt all the time. The last two years when he has played, he has had a terrible QB. 3 years ago he had a mediocre qb, and had 72 catches for 1200 yards and 9 tds (granted this was his one GOOD year.) He is/was/will never be a high volume/high yardage receiver.

I don't think he is going to be an elite wr or anything, but if healthy, he is going to function as a realized version of Nkeal Harry. Big body, good at contested catches, good redzone threat.
I actually kind of like the Pats WR group. Of course there's no star power, but I'm a big fan of Meyers and Bourne as 2/3 receiver types. Those guys are both 800+ receivers, alongside a good TE group. I am very curious to see how Agholor fits in to this group. He was good before McDaniels, haha.

I think Thornton has some legit potential as well. Genuine top level speed out wide is pretty refreshing.

None of it matters if the OC weirdness continues.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2022, 09:49:46 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Patriots lose Malcolm Butler and Joejuan Johnson for the season, placed on IR. They've lost two CBs in the same day, crazy.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/08/16/patriots-lose-malcolm-butler-for-season/

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2022, 10:46:19 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Patriots lose Malcolm Butler and Joejuan Johnson for the season, placed on IR. They've lost two CBs in the same day, crazy.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/08/16/patriots-lose-malcolm-butler-for-season/
Well Butler was very likely going to have an "injury" guy was cooked already.

« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2022, 09:17:01 AM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
I think Parker has the talent of a good #2 receiver. He is just hurt all the time. The last two years when he has played, he has had a terrible QB. 3 years ago he had a mediocre qb, and had 72 catches for 1200 yards and 9 tds (granted this was his one GOOD year.) He is/was/will never be a high volume/high yardage receiver.

I don't think he is going to be an elite wr or anything, but if healthy, he is going to function as a realized version of Nkeal Harry. Big body, good at contested catches, good redzone threat.
I actually kind of like the Pats WR group. Of course there's no star power, but I'm a big fan of Meyers and Bourne as 2/3 receiver types. Those guys are both 800+ receivers, alongside a good TE group. I am very curious to see how Agholor fits in to this group. He was good before McDaniels, haha.

I think Thornton has some legit potential as well. Genuine top level speed out wide is pretty refreshing.

I would be much higher on our receiving crew if we still had Brady. I think it is too much to ask of a young qb to elevate a team of C+ to B receivers into a great offense. Young QBs usually need safety blankets until their true talent emerges. All of the recent great young QBs have a great offensive player to take pressure off. Mahomes had Kelce and Hill. Herbert has Ekeler and Keenan Allen. Even Allen has Diggs when he truly took off.
#JKJB

« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2022, 09:30:51 AM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509

I would be much higher on our receiving crew if we still had Brady. I think it is too much to ask of a young qb to elevate a team of C+ to B receivers into a great offense. Young QBs usually need safety blankets until their true talent emerges. All of the recent great young QBs have a great offensive player to take pressure off. Mahomes had Kelce and Hill. Herbert has Ekeler and Keenan Allen. Even Allen has Diggs when he truly took off.

It’s true that having a superior offensive threat would be nice, but in lieu of that, Mac has a reliable guy in Meyers who he seems on a common page with, 2 good-sized TE targets, a speedster in Thornton, and a guy who is very good at grabbing 50-50 balls in Parker.   And that’s without considering Bourne and Agholor, and Stevenson/Harris out of the backfield. Also, Mac is very smart. 

O-line will be the difference-maker, one way or the other.

« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2022, 09:45:04 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
Regarding receivers, it obviously is better if you have better receivers but as someone else said I think the O-Line is more important than the receivers  in terms of having the tools to allow a QB to be successful or for a team to have a good passing game.  And I am more concerned with the O-Line than I am the receivers.  The OL may be fine,  Belichick has a way of figuring that out, but there are questions.  We will likely start at least 1 rookie and others that are not fully proven.

I think Mac Jones is plenty good enough to get the ball to these receivers if he has the time.  And I think these receivers, when you consider them in total including backs and TEs, are good enough to get open.  Maybe not big explosive plays all that often, but enough to keep the ball moving.

Joe Flacco was a super bowl QB for example and he didn't have super star receivers.  Anquan Boldin I guess was pretty good, maybe better than any of our receivers, but Ray Rice led the team in receptions that year.  And the O-Line was very good and they had a running game that had to be respected.  All that allowed Flacco to be a super bowl MVP.

« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2022, 10:08:19 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

Those teams did a good job identifying and drafting skill position players. Bill is not good at that and he’s unwilling to make a trade like the Bills did to acquire a top WR.

« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2022, 11:38:22 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Regarding receivers, it obviously is better if you have better receivers but as someone else said I think the O-Line is more important than the receivers  in terms of having the tools to allow a QB to be successful or for a team to have a good passing game.  And I am more concerned with the O-Line than I am the receivers.  The OL may be fine,  Belichick has a way of figuring that out, but there are questions.  We will likely start at least 1 rookie and others that are not fully proven.

I think Mac Jones is plenty good enough to get the ball to these receivers if he has the time.  And I think these receivers, when you consider them in total including backs and TEs, are good enough to get open.  Maybe not big explosive plays all that often, but enough to keep the ball moving.

Joe Flacco was a super bowl QB for example and he didn't have super star receivers.  Anquan Boldin I guess was pretty good, maybe better than any of our receivers, but Ray Rice led the team in receptions that year.  And the O-Line was very good and they had a running game that had to be respected.  All that allowed Flacco to be a super bowl MVP.
Boldin led the Ravens in receptions that year with 65.  Rice had 61 along with Dennis Pitta (their top TE).  Torrey Smith was 4th on the team with just 49.  They had less than 4000 passing yards and less than 2000 rushing yards.  They won by having the best defense in the sport and some very timely play from Flacco in the post season.  That said, while Boldin was 32, he was a multiple time All Pro WR, who the next year in San Fran had his numbers go way back up.  He was a legit #1 whose numbers in Baltimore were hampered by the run heavy offense.  There is no Boldin on the Patriots.  They have no legit #1 option and without Boldin there is no way Baltimore wins the title that season.  Him drawing double teams was huge for the offense overall. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2022, 11:11:47 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
Greg Bedard is a beat writer for the Patriots and has been covering them for 20 years. According to him, the New England Patriots Offense has looked 'Scary' Bad throughout Training Camp. Below interview was from yesterday, 08/25.

Hope the starters play at least a quarter tonight so they can get more reps...

Greg Bedard: “I will say that the Patriots had a good day yesterday so I don’t want that to go unsaid, and they did a good job in two-minute warning situational stuff, and did have some touchdowns against the Raiders, but in general, the most disturbing part is they can’t block anything under center, it’s a disaster. Even yesterday when they were good, they ran the ball five times – four of them got stuffed at the line of scrimmage or worse. They ran two screens that were stopped immediately. There is a lack of attention to detail upfront in what they’re doing like I’ve never seen in my time covering the NFL. It looks like an expansion-type offense when you’re talking about it, and it’s scary to watch. We know Mac Jones had a good rookie year last year, and you would think he could build off that – everybody is back, only DeVante Parker and Cole Strange are new in this offense… You’d think he was going to build on that, but what they’re doing to him – new coordinator, new quarterbacks coach, new playbook, you’re not protecting him up front… It’s straight out of the ‘how to ruin your young franchise quarterback’ playbook that we’ve seen from countless terrible teams over the years. I never thought I’d see the Patriots be one of those teams, but it looks like they’re going to be.” (Full Interview Above)

https://foxsportsradio.iheart.com/content/2022-08-25-new-england-patriots-offense-reportedly-looks-scary-bad-at-training-camp/
« Last Edit: August 26, 2022, 12:23:52 PM by Goldstar88 »