This kid I'm learning shot at people with BB guns for fun. He had cut up his face with a razor for "fun." He came from a broken hone with no father.
No one did anything. He was sick and needed help.
The guns are a symptoms, not the cause of the rot in society.
Bring back institution's.
Educate the public on warning signs of mental health
Reform involuntary confinement.
Upgrade school security and provide funding for security
Oh and hire cops who will do their job
This would go farther to help prevent these tragedies from happening. Screaming about the NRA(who isn't even the top donor lobby group in the country) solves zip.
Let's all agree that mental health funding, more state-run psychiatric hospitals, and upgraded school security are all sensible things. And, let's ignore for a minute that "mental health" has been something that has been cried about for generations without any significant resources put towards it. We'll pretend we have a competent Congress, and those things will be immediately passed.
Where do you stand on these proposals, none of which involve banning guns?
1. All guns must be registered
2. All gun owners must be licensed, subject to training, with 10 year renewals
3. Require a standardized background check and waiting period
4. Make it easier for police to stop and frisk people in public who have a violent criminal record
5. Trigger locks must be installed on all new guns
6. Any mechanism used to make a gun more automatic is illegal
7. Close the "gun show" loophole
8. Keep the Castle Doctrine, but revert to standard self-defense laws in public
9. Red flag laws
10. Increase the age of gun ownership to age 21, unless somebody is serving in the military and/or has been honorably discharged
Thoughts? Those are very basic, without touching magazine size or severely restricting gun ownership for the vast majority of law-abiding gun owners.